The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

420A 2gNT Automatic Transmission Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BenHooker

10+ Year Contributor
Jun 30, 2008
Seminole, Florida
How strong is this transmission in stock form? I have one and was debating throwing a shot of nitrous on it but was unsure of how much it can take. Has anyone experimented with this?

I wouldn't hit it with more than a 50 shot assuming the car's horse is otherwise stock. You should be good out to just past 300 on the stock auto trans from what I've heard. I wouldn't know first hand. I have 2 manual 1g's. Someone correct if I'm wrong.

The 420A A/T is virtually untested; most of the fastest 420A's use M/T's. Unfortunately you're in uncharted territory. I'm sure some things may need to be upgraded, but you'll have to do a little experimentation to find out which ones.

If you change your filter & fluid (refill with synthetic) and add a large cooler you might be ok with a small shot. This trans is the chrysler 41TE. That stands for 4 forward gears, 1 (st) torque range, T transverse, E electronic. The tcu has adaptives that try to keep the trans shifting in a "comfortable" manner, so basically the programming is designed to do the opposite of what you want. There are a couple of shift kits out there that help a little, but not much.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back