The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

Automatic trans Shifts Hard

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

poseclipse

Probationary Member
May 22, 2005
chicago, Illinois
Hey what up , Ok so My auto transmission Started acting really wired Kept going into gimp mode, So i had it rebuilt when i got the thing back it shifted really hard. The trans has not got any better after 10k miles on the new transmissionn Is this not good, I heard good thing about the transmission shifting really hard like to give you an idea of the shifts With all stock parts I got the tires to break lose into second gear with normal good temps out side dry. So i guess my question is Will this be a short life with the trans Due to the hard shift not just one or two gears it does not matter what gear the car throw my head back alittle bit every time

Yeah those hard shifts are gonna be bad for any auto car, just change the fluid regularly and you might want to purchase a transmission cooler (my friend bought one for his gsx for like $60) And possibly a transmission temp gauge, That way you know what the temp looks like at normal operating specs, and if you get on it a little, you can see the change.

If i'm not mistaken NT A/T's use a Chrysler 41TE tranny right? Hard shifting is usually related to shift valving, or stuck accumulators in the trans. We experimented with my buddies Dying neon and we removed the springs on the accumulators and replaced them with peices of Black Iron pipe and the results ended up being Bone jarring shifts:rocks: it soon killed the carROFL . The only real way to check that is to see what the solenoid pack is doing and get the Line pressures checked.

-solid

There's a difference between hard shifting and a crisp/quick shift. One where it feels like components are slamming together, grinding or sheering off other components clearly will mean that your transmission will not live a long, happy life.

On the flip side of the coin a crisp and short shift is better for the transmission in the long run than one that you don't feel because that means there is less slippage. Most auto transmissions are built for creature comfort. That 41te/A604 transmission was used in everything from neons, minivans, talons, stratus and a few other cars so they didn't change too much more other than pan design for ground clearance and case shape to accomodate mount location and bellhousing bolt configuration. The longer a shift takes place the more time a set of clutches inside are slipping. This means the driver never feels the shift but just like in a 5 speed car, the longer you slip a clutch the more you wear it out.

Some things to be noted on this transmission is that a failing input or output speed sensor or solenoid pack can cause harsh shifting. All three usually throw some sort of fault code in conjunction with the shifting problem.

Perhaps you can ask Transdude to shed some more light on the subject. He's real familiar with these transmissions.
Doug
damnit... check the date doug check the date.

Alright its been a long time since my last post. well maybe two years with somthing on my cars not breaking. I am now having a problem with my trans, I think it the torqure convertor going bad. Temp out side today 87 - 90 , the transmission was not down shifting all the way so i put the transmission into nutral and rev the engine to 4grand and the car jerks like i taped on the gas. How long would it take to drop the transmission with no power tools change the torqure converter out?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back