The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

AUTOMATIC TO MANUAL SWAP any help appreciated...

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xchris18x

Probationary Member
Sep 12, 2003
Da ville, Pennsylvania
I have a 1997 TSi awd and i love it and have for the year ive owned it, one problem, its automatic... Now I've heard all the people who say it is just easier to get another talon and thats all great but if i were to seriously attempt a manual swap with the help of some of my friends (who happen to be mechanics) if i could get a list of exactly what i need... I've heard rear end, t case, ecu, harness, the trans, flywheel, clutch... If somebody could just give me some ideas and some more information i may be lacking i would appreciate it because the car is in amazing condition visually... the head gasket is being a wanker and we're probably going to end up taking it apart this winter and rebuilding it because its running overly hot, so i figured if i have a beater car and have the engine out why not attmept a manual swap... any input is greatly appreciated as always gentlemen... :talon:

i have a similer problem, on the way home after work today the OD on my Automatic just quit and if it turns out to be a problem with the tranny and not something else i was thinking about dumping the auto for a manual, and after looking at the previous posts it doesn't look like it would be to hard.
thanks for the links. :)

Give me a few weeks, my swap will be done. My pedals are in and eys it was a pain PITA but it's damn well worth it. Im lookign for the tranny now. My buddy has a Talon TSi awd and we just measured all of his stuff. Made my life a lot easier.

Honestly the swap was easy to me, no major problems or difficuilties. The pedals were actually not bad too, although being a small person (which I'm not) helps alot. I also went ahead and went with a full SS clutch line from RRE, which makes for a much easier and less time consuming install. Also make sure you remove the torque converter spacer from the crank, otherwise the flywheel will not fit flush. You really only have to drill one hole, for the clutch master cylinder. But with a 90 degree drill from the inside under the dash it's pretty damn easy. The fire wall also already has the two mounting holes there, they just had foil tap over them. The only thing I ran into was the neutral safety switch and reverse lights. We basically had to rewire the ignition to loop around the neutral safety switch. And the reverse lights aren't completely figured out yet, but I know what wires I need to hook up now so that's isn't really a problem anymore.

Hey guys, i have a similar problem. I have a '90 Laser Manual, and i have seen a '90 Eagle Talon Auto. The reason i want to swap is because the Talon's body is in MUCH better shape than the laser. I was just going to see what was wrong with the Talon, but its transmission is missing. So I just thought of swapping everything. Are the Links above a good start or does anyone have any other information i might need. Would it be cheaper in the long run to do this or would it be a waste of time? Thanks everyone for your input.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back