The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Automatic Shifter Replacement

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mini zilo

15+ Year Contributor
Jul 17, 2006
Chicago, Illinois
I have found a lot of threads on this question, but no answers...Has anyone removed their automatic shifter? I can't get the actual knob/lever off because the overdrive wire holds it down. I tried removing the switch from the shifter, but I can't get the switch out. Does anyone know how to get the Overdrive switch out of the lever, or do I just have to cut the wires? Thanks.

(In the picture, the white plastic peice is the part I can't get out..)

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I finally got tired of the stock automatic shifter, which I always hated. I got bored yesterday and decided to change it. But all the aftermarket shift knobs for automatics looked weird to me, so I decided to go with a manual shift knob, and relocate my overdrive switch.

So I replaced the selector lever with this shift knob by cutting the top of a stock manual shifter, and screwing it onto the automatic transmission shift lock cable ( the cable that is attached to the button you push to go from park). Then since the stock shifter was gone, the metal bar that held it on was kind of just sticking up, so I put the boot on. Overall I think it turned out good, I like it much better. I just push the whole knob down to shift from park.

Damn, I really like that.... :thumb:

You should do a nice write up with alot of pictures seeing as there isn't one, and when you search it usually comes up with dead end threads. Also where and how did you relocate your overdrive button?

Thanks guys:thumb:

My overdrive switch hasn't actually been relocated yet, but, I am going to buy just a 2 way switch from radioshack, wire the 3 wires in to the switch, and I'm either going to put it in my cigarette lighter, or in my ashtray(2 things I never use) The cig lighter spot seems good becuase its still near the shifter when you need to switch it on... I take some pics and start a write up today;)

I'm looking forward to that write up. So how long did it end up taking you, and what shift knob/boot are those?

Suprisingly, it only takes about 1-2 hours. However, that's not counting the 15 or so hours it will take for the JB weld I used to harden. You need JB weld becuase when I cut the top part of a manual shifter (to use the threads for a manual knob) the actual shifter is hollow, so you need to fill it with JB weld, and then drill a small hole so it will screw on the stock auto shifter cable.

It is a stock 2g shift boot, which screws right into place on all automatic center consoles, becuase the mounting holes are still there.

The shift knob is a RAZO...heres a link to one

http://dsmparts.com/customer/product.php?productid=280&cat=147&page=1

I tried taking mine out too, but after looking for a while and getting no where I looked at the Haynes manual and it says everything comes off as an assembly. I stopped messing with mine when I got a donor car for a 5sd swap.

YES! This is exactly what I want to do with my A/T shifter. I want a more manual-shift look for the trans control box I recently installed, and this is the ticket. A writeup and pics is a must, very good work.

So you have to push the knob down to bypass the shifter lock? Beautiful, just beautiful.

:thumb:

Thanks a lot guys, I'm working on the write up now, Ill put it up sometime this week.

Dorfito, yep you just push the knob down and it unlocks the shifter lock.:thumb:

If you followed the wire and did not find a connection to unclip, then I guess you must snip snip. I've never thought about taking it out. Then again, I'm biased. A knowledgable DSMer that's done a tranny swap probably will help you with this one.

I REALLY like this. Excellent job bro. Definitely looking forward to the write-up:thumb:

I'm still taking pics and doing to the write up, but for now, here's a video of mine, to give you an idea of how it will end up looking/working... Let me know what you guys think...
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Arq0MRIIguI"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Arq0MRIIguI" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Alright guys, I submitted the tech article write up... If it's approved it will be in the interior/exterior group. Let me know what you guys think of it.

this was not meant to be a bump

Thanks guys. I just snipped and relocated it to the cig lighter.

squeak: ive been debating that idea night and day... I don't know what to do... swap 5spd or stay automatic.

Well since the article hasn't been posted yet, I'll show you basically what you need to do.

You take the top part of a stock manual shifter and cut it off, so it looks something like this...

Once its cut, you will notice that it is hollow. It needs to be filled with JB weld. Once it is filled, you need to drill a hole in the bottom with a # 34 bit, and you need a 4mm tap with a .7 mm pitch.

This is will cut threads so this peice will fit on the top of the shift lock cable, so when you push the knob down, it will unlock the shifter.

If you haven't noticed, the shifter is very wobbly, becuase the cable is not secured in any way. Back to the hardware store... I used some tubing, and slid snugly over the cable, so that the cable would not hit the sides of the lever bar. So now it will not wobble.

Nice write up. Custom job is always a cool thing to witness. :0) I did the same thing to my old Saturn.

For the people reading this, there are also other ways to do this mod. mini zilo has done something custom, which is awesome. But for the people who are looking for an easier installation, there are easier options out there. Aftermarket shift knobs are all over eBay without buttons:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BLUE...9QQihZ001QQcategoryZ33703QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/RAZO...1QQihZ014QQcategoryZ33703QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/RAZO...2QQihZ014QQcategoryZ33703QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/RAZO...2QQihZ014QQcategoryZ33703QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Even the shift knobs with buttons can look great:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MOMO...1QQihZ018QQcategoryZ33703QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Again, great write up and a cool custom mod. :0) But this can be achieved in easier ways.

yune bug, that is a cool way to do it too...but...The problem was I never liked any of the automatic knobs available. So I wanted to come up with a way to use manual shift knobs on an auto.

Thought i would contribute to this.
Its a momo shift knob, expensive but my girlfriend bought it for me as a birthday gift.

Attachments

• Momo Shift knob.JPG
    Momo Shift knob.JPG
    47.6 KB · Views: 1,105
Only modification was to shorten the metal shaft and the metal shift rod to match the height of the shorter momo shift knob. The knob is held in with 3 set screws.

I'm thinking about swapping in a different shifter on my auto.
This tread seems to be the best one I could find on the subject.
How is every one unlocking the shifter with out any button to unlock it?
I was looking at this B&M shifter with the button on the side.
B&M - 80659 - T-Handle Universal Auto Trans Shift Knob - Goodies Speed Shop
Could this button be used to unlock the shifter?
If not maybe to on/off the O/D?
I've never torn into an automatic shifter before so any help is appreciated.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back