The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

automatic launching [Merged 5-9] launch auto

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ypnas777

20+ Year Contributor
Feb 24, 2003
North Andover, Massachusetts
i want to know the best way to launch an automatic OMG. i dont want to be doing nuetral drops cause i just think those are bad for the transmission and i dont want to break anything cause im broke :p . should i just floor the car or what? i just want to know the best way to lkaunch an automatic without doing nuetral drops thanks :thumb:

^^^^ what he said... normal RPM range is from 2-3k rpms it just depends on the car...each car is different.... also dont do this too often... i resently broke my differential power braking and it cost me $850 to fix... its alright if your going to race but dont do it just for fun :thumb:

The best way i've found is to keep the motor idling. Then wait for the second yellow light to flash rev the engine and release the brake just as the rpm's come up to your torque converters stall speed. This way your turbo and engine are accelerating rather than sitting at a steady state. I've found this to be a better method on both an auto 95 prelude si and 95 tt supra.

Good luck:thumb:

My car used to be an auto and the way that I lauched worked really well (2.092 60") and never overheated the tranny (as long as you don't do it repeatedly)

Don't pay attention to your rpms, the converter will only stall till about 2,500-2,800. Hold the brake at the start and watch your boost gauge. The cool thing about the T-25 is that it will reach full boost standing still...the bad thing about that is you'll spin at around 11psi. Spool the turbo till 10 or so and then go. Turbo lag is non-existent.

If you don't have a mechanical boost guage I guess just practice. There is a fine line b/t spinning and bogging in an auto. Don't pay attention to the stock guage it's useless.

I have a 97 GS-T. I have Injen Intake, GReddy Type S BOV, Thermal exhaust and Hallman boost controller boost set at 14(stock boost) this is what I have for HP performance.

Every time I go to the track I have a hard time getting the tires to stick.

I had some stock 95 GS-T wheels (16") with some goodyear tires on it when I went to the track...I even went down to 25psi and it still was sliping.

I did better on my 18"s then the 16"s...

I even tryed to slowly press down the gas but once it gets up to about 4000rpm it starts spinning...

HOW DO YOU LAUNCH A GS-T

my 60 foot times is what sucks...2.3's OMG OMG

I need help guys! Can you help?

And what do you think my car should be running in the 1/8 or 1/4 with this set up? So I can shoot for a good goal.

Any input helps...Thanks!:cry: :cry: ;)

Everyones going to tell you to search. But the best way is to really abuse the clutch and slowly realese it and don't go WOT in 1st.

well bone stock in my spyder i ran 15.3 in englishtown i havent taken it to the track since. But the way i did it was bring it to 3250-3500RPM slip the clutch out until the car was right about to move then i would launch with 3/4 throttle. By the time i hit second i had enough traction and i would go WOT all the way. My 60' was 1.8 i think and that was on my Cooper Lifeliners OMG (the car came with those not my choice just a few more good burnouts and i can get my kumhos:thumb: )

I hope I dont get flamed for this. Well, whenever I go to race someone to get a good start I hold down the break and rev the engine and let the car get up to 15 psi. I try to time it out as best as I can with the light. My question is will this hurt the car and also should i keep the car in 1st or 2nd or just keep it in drive and let the tranny do its work? What would help the car go faster?

I would keep it in first and do the shifting on your own if you know your car well. What you are doing is called "loading the torque converter". Its basically applying load to the engine while the car is not moving, much like a stutterbox would but in a different way. It basically allows you to build boost before you get moving. Once you start making more power traction may become an issue ( even for AWD ). That much power off the line is going to give your tires a workout. To sum it up, you're doing it right. :thumb:

Originally posted by Groomz
What you are doing is called "loading the torque converter".
Or more commonly known as power-braking. It's OK as long as you keep it under 5 seconds at a time or so-- it heats the ATF up pretty good, and heat is an A/T's worst enemy. That IS the quickest way to launch an A/T though, whether on the street or at the track. I would also recommend an aftermarket tranny cooler such as the B&M SuperCooler.

keeping it on the engine stall is pretty much what you wanna do. Basically yes what you are doing is bad for your car but it is EXACTLY what you wanna do.
Andrew

ps:the reason is it will overheat the trans especially the torque converter.

I have 97 GSX automatic, I'm fine from a rolling start but I cant really figure out how to get a good launch. can someone help me?

Most auto guys use the brake launch. You hold the brake down while slowly pressing the gas until the turbo starts to spool to the point where your brake cant really hold you anymore. Then release the brake and floor it.

I have no idea if this would work or not, but you could try revving it high in neutral and then just switching to drive. I'm not sure if in switching to drive you'd lose the rpm speed or not, so you'd have to try it out or ask one of the more experienced DSMers.

Originally posted by TimDSM
I have no idea if this would work or not, but you could try revving it high in neutral and then just switching to drive. I'm not sure if in switching to drive you'd lose the rpm speed or not, so you'd have to try it out or ask one of the more experienced DSMers.

How about NO. Thats a good way to kill your auto tranny real quick like.

that would be bad on my car, its all-wheel drive, that much stress on the transfer case could break it

Originally posted by 2gEclipse4G
when I do that it wont go past 2000 RPM for some reason, so the launch sucks

Thats because of the torque converter stall.... basically how autos launch is basically how you test for converter failure. Your only choices for launching are to slam the gas pedal at the light or to stall test at the light(holding the brake and building boost).
Andrew

Originally posted by -GSX-Falcon
How about NO. Thats a good way to kill your auto tranny real quick like.
Does that go for a n/t too?
or it isnt enough stress on the tranny to do that much damage.
ohh earlier i didnt see it was an autoOMG my bad

never never never do a neutral drop on an auto trans unless you want it in pieces.

Put the car in 2nd gear and hold the brake. Push the gas to the floor and in a matter of seconds it should start pulling through the brakes. Just let off of the brakes and your gone. That is the best way to launch a A/T. If you hold the brake to long it will start to retard timing and make your car loose power. You shouldnt have to hold the brakes for no longer than 3 to 4 seconds. You can cause wear on your tranny if you keep doing it without letting your tranny fluid cool. After every launch, I would give your car a short break and let the Auto Tranny fluid cool. One more thing, dont do neutral drops because your tranny wont hold up. Hope this helps :thumb:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back