The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support ExtremePSI

2G automatic gsx gear ratios & final drive

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Akiraboy

Probationary Member
Dec 13, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
Transdude or ?, i cannot find what the gear ratios and final drive ratios are for a 2G Mitsubishi Eclipse, are there any differences betweencertain years between 95-99 or is it the same trans diff & rear end. I searced 1st in the forum using gear ratio final drive automatic 2g and a few others, combinations of words & a quick google search without luck

I am assuming that it is somewhere in print yet not on the web or I had no luck at all

thx

OK here you go. According to http://1000q.dsm.org/ the 1G and 2G AWD auto's all use the W4A33 transmission. And the FWD's use the F4A33 trans from 90-99. With that info I went to my original sales brochure for my GSX and looked up the gear ratios for you.

4 speed automatic GSX 90-99 W4A33

1st = 2.551
2nd = 1.488
3rd = 1.000
4th = 0.685

reverse = 2.176
Final drive = 3.957

4 speed Automatic FWD 90-99 F4A33

1st = 2.551
2nd = 1.488
3rd = 1.000
4th = 0.685

reverse = 2.176
Final drive = 4.422

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I'm hopin the pic link works. I went to the 1000 dsm ??? FAQ site while I was searching but I clicked the Mitsu emblem & navigated the menus but I didn't see the gear ratios specs. Oh well, thanks for helpin me with the search :thumb: Much appreciated.

Curiuos, I read on that search link that the w4a33 carries the same part number but the internals are different.

Different transmissions are not interchangeable. Note that 2G transmissions are interchangeable with 1G transmissions of the same model number, but 2G transmissions have different internals and are generally considered to operate much better. Usually only minor modifications are required to fit a 2G transmission to a 1G engine.
So does anyone here know if this is fact? I read somewhere the difference between these two trannys is 'fuzzy logic' <~ from 2Gs.

Also, I currently have 215-45-17s on my GSX. I bought the car smashed & with different wheels/tires. I just purchased the correct gsx wheels for the car.
What size tires came originally on my GSX?

thx again.

TURFNNSURF said:
OK here you go. According to http://1000q.dsm.org/ the 1G and 2G AWD auto's all use the W4A33 transmission. And the FWD's use the F4A33 trans from 90-99. With that info I went to my original sales brochure for my GSX and looked up the gear ratios for you.

1st = 2.551
2nd = 1.488
3rd = 1.000
4th = 0.685

reverse = 2.176
Final drive = 3.957

1st = 2.551
2nd = 1.488
3rd = 1.000
4th = 0.685

reverse = 2.176
Final drive = 4.422

Color me impressed, Brad :thumb:

-John

John,

Thanks, I try my best to help when I can.

Akira,

IM going to leave the comparison of the internals of the 1G trans and 2G trans to John at IPT. I was only able to determine that the 1G and 2G trans of the same model could use the same trans. EX. 1g FWD auto to 2g FWD auto or 2g AWD auto to 1g AWD auto. Same for the 5 speed versions. From what I read you CAN'T replace a FWD auto with an AWD auto unless you change the final drive gear. In the 5 speeds it looks even more challenging because with the exception of 1st and reverse in both transmissions all the other gears are different!!! Let me just say this is from my own comparison of the gear ratios in the back of my 1991 sales brochure. I took a picture of the page for you to compare them as well.

To answer your question about tires for the GSX. The original rims were 16X6 with 205/55/16 tires. With an AWD you must have the same size all around so your driveline doesn't get stressed, in other words you'll cook the VC (viscous coupling)

Hope this helps you out

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

:rolleyes: Sorry I forgot to mention that I have a 1997 GSX auto, I wanted to make certain that I had the correct size wheels/ tires for this year. I bought the car crashed and it came with different wheels and tires. I recently found some stock 17s but they came with 215/45/17s. I wasn't sure if that was the correct size tire.

I am also interested in having a second tranny built but I wasn't sure which auto awd tranny to use 1g or 2g for the build, besides whether or not I could swap across generations. If I can use a 1 g in my car I know where I can find a built tranny[for sale ready to use], if 2g I can get a stocker & build it. Also if possible seeing if there were better gear ratios in one tranny as compared to another obviously only pertaining to the auto awd 1g and 2g trannys.

So then is it safe to assume that the w4a33 transmissions from both generation cars are compatible?

Does the tranny have its own computer and if so are these cross compatible?

:thumb:

thanks for the info. I thought the tires looked small on gsx, there is so much wheel well gap & I thought was seeing things.

TURFNNSURF said:
OK here you go. According to http://1000q.dsm.org/

1st = 2.551
2nd = 1.488
3rd = 1.000
4th = 0.685

reverse = 2.176
Final drive = 4.422

Are you sure the gearing is the same on 1g's and 2g's? I ask this because the EPA mileage rating for the '90-94 FWD A/T turbo cars is only 19 city/ 23 highway compared to 20/27 for '96-99 FWD A/T turbo models. Based on these numbers I was assuming the 2g FWD's used a taller top gear :confused:

For some reason the '95's were rated at 23/27

The EPA mileage site:

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/bymake/bymanuNF.shtml

*edit* sorry :D I just noticed the final drive #'s you listed are different between 1 and 2g's which would explain the better highway mileage on 2g's.

Thanks for listing those gear ratios :thumb:
Had been wondering about the gearing comparison for some time.

Is it possible to swap parts into a 2g so your final drive is the same as the 1g? I have a 1g that I'm parting out and plan on getting a 2g -- has anyone done this? Is it worth it? What set-up is better anyway?

TURFNNSURF said:

1st = 2.551
2nd = 1.488
3rd = 1.000
4th = 0.685

reverse = 2.176
Final drive = 3.957

1st = 2.551
2nd = 1.488
3rd = 1.000
4th = 0.685

reverse = 2.176
Final drive = 4.422

Disregard my previous post and the edit on my post just before that one.

If the 1 and 2g FWD turbo A/T used the same gearing and final drive why does the epa fuel mileage differ so much? 19/23 vs. 20/27
AND I thought I read here awhile back that the 1 and 2g FWD turbo A/T used different transmissions :confused:

I think the fuel mileage is affected by two things. 1. The TCU for the 1g and 2g are different., maybe rpm shift points are different. 2. The 2g torque converter is a lock-up type. Locking the TQ in overdrive/4th gives better gas mileage.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back