The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

automatic 4g63 won't go into reverse

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ethans 1997 GSX

10+ Year Contributor
May 6, 2011
nampa, Idaho
I've been reading some other threads, and others have similar issues, but let me start by saying my transmission shifts perfect in drive and I never had an issue with reverse until a couple days ago. I went to shift into reverse the other day, and my car just sat there as if it were in neutral. I pressed the gas for a couple seconds, and nothing. I then switched to drive and started moving forward, i then went back to reverse, while still rolling forward and it popped into reverse and worked. But now i have to do that everytime in order to shift to reverse. I removed all my intercooler pipes the other day and was wondering if i may have knocked loose a linkage cable or something. I didn't check the fluid level yet, but it should be fine i flushed it about 3 times when i worked at jiffy lube about a year ago. I'm not sure how to replace the filter i always assumed you had to drop the whole transmission to do that. It was flushed with dexron fluid i think type 6. The car did sit for about 6months while i went to basic training but I drove it for about a month afterwards including the 1400 miles i had to move. Any ideas?

Bump, having the same issues.

When I put it in neutral, the car creeps forward like it's in drive. I put it in reverse. It sometimes engages then it feels like it hits a brick wall and just stops like something is binding.

Completely bizarre. I was unable to drive for a couple days due to a shift change at work, so my car just sat out in the parking lot. On friday, I went to go buy some groceries, no tranny issues what so ever. She went into reverse on the first try immediately. Honestly I have no idea.

You mean neutral right?

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

He does mean park with tue handbrake up! Dont worry it wont go any where:thumb:

I've been reading some other threads, and others have similar issues, but let me start by saying my transmission shifts perfect in drive and I never had an issue with reverse until a couple days ago. I went to shift into reverse the other day, and my car just sat there as if it were in neutral. I pressed the gas for a couple seconds, and nothing. I then switched to drive and started moving forward, i then went back to reverse, while still rolling forward and it popped into reverse and worked. But now i have to do that everytime in order to shift to reverse. I removed all my intercooler pipes the other day and was wondering if i may have knocked loose a linkage cable or something. I didn't check the fluid level yet, but it should be fine i flushed it about 3 times when i worked at jiffy lube about a year ago. I'm not sure how to replace the filter i always assumed you had to drop the whole transmission to do that. It was flushed with dexron fluid i think type 6. The car did sit for about 6months while i went to basic training but I drove it for about a month afterwards including the 1400 miles i had to move. Any ideas?

To do the filter is no harder then dropping the oil pan, all you do is let the fluid drain then remove the bolts then lower the cover and be careful not to knock where the magnets inside as they have to stay in the same location then just unbolt the filter and install the new unit with the gasket that comes with it, then with a new gasket for the pan reinstall and fill slowly, try use the oem gaskets and filter if possible and use good ATF fluid.

Also check all sfifter cables on the selector and gearbox as you might have knocked a clip and its loose but not off so wiggle everything also

He does mean park with tue handbrake up! Dont worry it wont go any where:thumb:

To do the filter is no harder then dropping the oil pan, all you do is let the fluid drain then remove the bolts then lower the cover and be careful not to knock where the magnets inside as they have to stay in the same location then just unbolt the filter and install the new unit with the gasket that comes with it, then with a new gasket for the pan reinstall and fill slowly, try use the oem gaskets and filter if possible and use good ATF fluid.

Also check all sfifter cables on the selector and gearbox as you might have knocked a clip and its loose but not off so wiggle everything also

Thank you, that was actually really informative. How do you put in the new ATF? Through the check stick line?

OHOH! I just watched a video about the valve body in our transmissions and there is a special valve just for reverse and if it gets stuck or something, you'll have exactly the above. I've always filled trans fluid through the dipstick. Never actually drained all of the fluid, but you're supposed to check the level when its warm, but I wouldn't suggest running the tranny dry. If you have the owner's manual, it will give you how much fluid is required.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back