The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Autocross buildup using a 92 Talon TSi AWD

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tunernewb92

15+ Year Contributor
Sep 10, 2008
North Canton, Ohio
So I wanted to keep this thread for a couple of reasons, one, to keep up with my plans and whats happened with the car, because there needs to be an AutoX write-up, and because I have a crap load of questions. So....with-out further to do here we go.

About a month ago a co-worker of mine took another job in Alabama. He mentioned getting rid of his Talon because it wasn't feisable to move it about 300 miles, in his mind. I offered him $250.00 for it without seeing the car at all. Obviously I was kidding, but when he called me about two weeks ago and told me it had to go, I decided to go look at it.
I'll be honest, I didn't really want to get into DSM's. Ive heard they were ricey, unreliable, and deep money pits. Well obviously two out of three of those aren't true. I contacted my good friend, Corey..A.K.A. 360glitch...about going in with me and buying the car, splitting stuff 50/50 and whatnot, he said lets go look at it, so off we headed.

Now.. Prior to this I had done a bunch of research on DSM's but I still wasn't quite prepared for what I was dealing with, and probably never will be, but I know how to use a wrench and I love working on cars, so a new project has been born.

This was how she sat when we bought her about two months ago.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Nice and welcome to the dsm's. Jack at jackstransmissions.com races a 1g on a 1 mile track every weekend. He tears up the track and hangs with all the big boys. This was with stock suspension, aem big brakes, 16g @ 39psi, maf-t, 950's and e85. Thats pretty much all he had.

His turbo finally went and now hes running a gt37r at 15psi with no intercooler do to overheating. He ran some good times but the guy that runs the racing school has a modded zo6 that rules the track. He is going to get some type of intercooler, run 30psi and hopefully show these guys what a dsm can do.

In the few weeks following our glorious purchase we set about cleaning and replacing the interior. The seats had years of spilled coke and beer all over the seats so we went to our local pull-a-part and grabbed both front seats and the rear and replaced that. Next was the dash and center console, also out of a donor car at pull-a-part. Finally the interior was cleaned of its rat nest:beatentodeath:, yeap thats right rat nest, rat crap, dirt, rust, coke stains, gym equipment and lots and lots of change...about $10.00 worth of change. The taillights didn't work, so that was next on the agenda. Found out that our rat friend loved chewing headlight wires, so we repaired them accordingly and presto, working taillights and a legal car.

Having replaced that we moved on the idle surge, we replaced the IAC, CAS, blocked the FIAV, and still have that stupid idle surge, still haven't found out why yet. We figured that we would just start upgrading parts and hoped that eventually the surge would be found and fixed. We did a compression test at the time and it read 140's across the board.

So the parts were ordered...exhaust was first with a 2g ported exhaust and N1 complete O2 housing back exhaust kit to give her some more giddy up and go. Replaced the Hyunda valve cover with a mitsu valve cover to bring it back to good looking. Cleaned the engine bay, replaced the busted bolts that we had and went on our merry way.

So after the first race it was decided that a RM Rear Swaybar is needed to keep the back tires both on the ground and a brake upgrade was needed to stop quicker. So a 93 Stealth donated its brake calipers to us, slotted rotors were ordered, hawk pads for the front, and some more perfomance pads for the rear were also ordered. Steel brake lines finish off the brake upgrade. All of the calipers are being painted red.

New rims were ordered (but haven't been put on the car yet) for the weight and the looks. Some RX7 rims were ordered via eBay and are sitting in my bedroom. A Hard UICP was ordered and hopefully a DEJON 1g to 2g MAF hard intake pipe will soon be on the way.

Obviously now we needed to get our newly cleaned with new capacitors ECU (thanks again Steve, I'm sure you hate us because of how bad that ECU was messed up) socketed because we ordered DSMLink. Hopefully getting that socketed will happen very soon.

So the car suddenly developed a overheating problem a week ago. We decided to try and flush the system and pray that that worked, it didn't. So we compression tested it, which we failed with 135, 119, 111, 119. So we are taking the head off. We have also decided to upgrade the car a little and this is were I will leave this story for the day, as I don't want to spoil the surprise (not a big one) yet.

Im interested in hearing more. IDK why their arent more pic loaded build threads on here.

Nice and welcome to the dsm's. Jack at jackstransmissions.com races a 1g on a 1 mile track every weekend. He tears up the track and hangs with all the big boys. This was with stock suspension, aem big brakes, 16g @ 39psi, maf-t, 950's and e85. Thats pretty much all he had.

His turbo finally went and now hes running a gt37r at 15psi with no intercooler do to overheating. He ran some good times but the guy that runs the racing school has a modded zo6 that rules the track. He is going to get some type of intercooler, run 30psi and hopefully show these guys what a dsm can do.

39psi on a 16g?? Did I read that right?!

Ha yeah man thats crazy 39psi...i didn't know the stock internals could take that kind of abuse. Anyway, to continue the story last night we yanked the head off the car because of the overheating problem. My faith in felpro gaskets is diminshing. Well Ill let the pictures explain themselves.

What do you guys think about the head....valves look to be in decent shape to me...nothing a good cleaning won't fix. I was told to use compressed air and motor oil to clean out the head real good, any truth to that? Anybody got any head cleaning tips?

From the looks of it your head is in excellent shape. Atleast compared to what mine looked like. My valves were covered in "piston lap" or whatever you want to call it (not my fault previous owner!).

While your at this point, its a good time to port your x-mani and turbo. Ditch that whatever its called that goes between the manifold and the turbo. Then start port matching and polishing a bit. Just an idea.

I'm pretty sure the stock internals can't withstand 39 psi.
Nice Talon tho

I read the word stock and assumed he meant the engine, upon re-reading I see that he said suspension.

Also, if anybody has a complete 14b with the hotside intact pm me or 360glitch with the details.

Thanks,
Brian

I have a 14b hotside in great condition.

Sounds like me and Jack need to get together. I wish he'd show up to a NASA event where I do my road racing. I've earned plenty of respect from the Z06 guys.

If this is going to be a build thread, please use the Blog area as suggested above and link to it in the Project Build Updates forum. Use this thread for questions and community support. Post your updates on the build in the blog and link to those here if you like.

I'm looking forward to watching the progress. Reminds me of the old days :)

If this is going to be a build thread, please use the Blog area as suggested above and link to it in the Project Build Updates forum. Use this thread for questions and community support. Post your updates on the build in the blog and link to those here if you like.

I'm looking forward to watching the progress. Reminds me of the old days :)

Can I post some general pictures up to sorta show my progress as long as I don't go into great detail?

Also, Drifte if you get a pm from 360glitch about that hotside he is the co-owner of the car and knows more about the turbo stuff than I do so I differ all turbo questions to him LOL. I'm more of a general engine knowledge kinda guy.

Can I post some general pictures up to sorta show my progress as long as I don't go into great detail?

Also, Drifte if you get a pm from 360glitch about that hotside he is the co-owner of the car and knows more about the turbo stuff than I do so I differ all turbo questions to him LOL. I'm more of a general engine knowledge kinda guy.
The idea isn't to discourage you from posting updates, I'm just trying to get people to use the Blog area for project builds instead of using the forums. It's easier for people to follow a blog than reading through a thread with a bunch of replies from others.

Post all your pics and details in a blog and just reply to this thread with a link telling them what they're going to see if they read your blog update.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back