The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

Autobots Assemble! (Auto-knowledge)

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boomdeeze

10+ Year Contributor
Jul 5, 2009
Independence, Minnesota
A little background on when my issue started. I went to the drag strip two weekends ago and while launching the car, I felt a lot of vibrations until I snapped the rear driver side axle. When the axle snapped, the rpms shot up to 9k acting like a slipping clutch.

Now I bought some DSS level 2 axles and installed them. I took the car out and whenever I go WOT at a low speed, the car slips acting like a slipping clutch in a a manual. If I go WOT when starting at 60 mph or so, it will do a clean pull. I do have Kiggly 5 friction clutch pack installed but they have many drag events and street miles on them. The clutches have seen many 9 second and 10 second passes. Transmission fluid is full and has the kiggly mod. The car drives normal other than that slipping. This started the same pass that I broke my rear axle.

Now for my questions, does this sound like a worn clutch pack? Would this also cause a lot of vibrations while launching if it were slipping and catching? Could the clutches have slipped and caught again resulting in breaking the axle?

Last edited:
Damn, looks like the welds may have broke then. Looks like I will be pulling the transmission. I may as well install the kiggly 6 friction pack and IPT end clutch kit to freshen it up while it is out.

Any other suggestion while I have it out?

Just wanted to update the thread. I pulled the center diff and it was still welded and in perfect shape. The end clutches looked great as well. I proceeded to pull the trans to inspect the clutches. The front clutches were is decent shape but the rear clutches (Forward clutches) looked to be toast. The spacers were burnt, the clutch disks were worn and there was clutch debris packed on the sides of the drum. The drum itself looked good with no cracks, I hear this is common.

I decided to swap in the Kiggly 6 friction front clutch disks and order some new forward clutch disks/plates! I will update when I get it all in and back installed!

@Dstarperformance01 Any idea what would cause the forward clutches to go out? Normal wear and tear for 9 and 10 second runs?

Last edited:
Has anyone messed with the line pressure adjust and reducing pressure adjustment that Kiggly recommends?

To my understanding, he says to turn both counterclockwise to max each out if you are not using a TCU to control it. Anyone have experience doing this? @kiggly @Dstarperformance01 @bastarddsm

Just to update this thread so it isn't left unanswered. I ended up tearing the transmission apart and found the forward clutch was fairly worn and the kiggly 5 disk front clutch had weird wear markings in the disks. So I swapped in new forward disks and a kiggly 6 disk front clutch pack which made the problem go away. The center diff was still welded and was not damaged.

Did you ever get your answer from Kiggly on the line pressure question? If not, I'd suggest emailing him off his site.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back