The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Auto trans questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TimF

10+ Year Contributor
Mar 14, 2011
Aurora, Illinois
Read throught some other threads and from what I understand

to launch just hold down brake and gas engine and let of brake
so its simple as that? I read that the auto trans are better off then the 5 speeds in some other threads. I was thinking of doing a trans swap but would it be worth it?

Also i would like to know if you can manually shift your auto. I used to have a auto honda that had Drive then it had 4th 3rd 2nd and 1st gears that i could shift to on my own. So i would start in 1st and shift up just like a manual but with out the clutch. And it did give me better performance. Are you able to do this with DSM's?

My GS-T is an automatic its faster than any manual around my area and not even near being fully set up yet, as for the shifting honestly I don't know.

so its simple as that? I read that the auto trans are better off then the 5 speeds in some other threads. I was thinking of doing a trans swap but would it be worth it?

Also i would like to know if you can manually shift your auto. I used to have a auto honda that had Drive then it had 4th 3rd 2nd and 1st gears that i could shift to on my own. So i would start in 1st and shift up just like a manual but with out the clutch. And it did give me better performance. Are you able to do this with DSM's?

The swap isn't very fun, to be honest. They are better in my opinion for a serious street/strip or drag car.

You can manually shift your auto via the Kiggly mod: Kiggly Racing - kigglyracing.com

I'm using this in conjunction with a ratchet shifter and it works very well.

Swapped my gs-t to auto this winter. I shift the trans myself because I didn't use a TCU. Honestly the car is moving faster the it ever was as a 5 speed. Definitely worth the work in my opinion

You can use this to shift manually if you want to retain drivability(unlike the kiggly mod). You can switch it off whever and drive normally as well.
Automatic/Manual Shift Box 90-99 Eclipse and Talon Auto

As for launching. I usually mash the throttle and brake, and pull up the e-brake, then release both brakes at the same time while holding the throttle at WOT the whole time.

so its simple as that? Yes, but use the e-brake too. I read that the auto trans are better off then the 5 speeds in some other threads. I was thinking of doing a trans swap but would it be worth it? No

Also i would like to know if you can manually shift your auto. I used to have a auto honda that had Drive then it had 4th 3rd 2nd and 1st gears that i could shift to on my own. So i would start in 1st and shift up just like a manual but with out the clutch. And it did give me better performance. Are you able to do this with DSM's? Yes, there is an overdrive button on the shifter. Click the shifter so that OD is off. Go from 1-2-D(with OD clicked off)-click the button to go into 4th. It won't give you any better performance though

This^

Last edited:
Having an auto is pretty sick. I use to have a 5-speed and I sure don't miss it. I never miss a gear...

ok sounds good im probably going to stick with the auto then, the only downside is that my tcu is shot and i cant find another one, so in the long run a clutch will be easier to find then a TCU cause there hard enough to right now. I know about the OD but I also have either the sport or eco modes fore my tranny. Would that require a different TCU or are all 91 TSI awd like that?

I had a TCU that was wasted and I installed the Manual Shift Box mentioned earlier.

I took out my TCU while I had the shift box installed. Was a little tricky to drive and make sure you remember to shift the box when you are used to driving an automatic. But after a few days I got used to the change. Also, be careful not to downshift too early if you use the shift box. All-in-all, I got a new TCU and uninstalled the shift box. My car is a stock daily driver. But for racing I would definitely recommend it.

TIm you can shift manually if you want, it should be fine..Althoug in an auto you can only brake boost for soo long before the ecu retards timing, screwing up your launch..The only way to get rid of that factor is to swap out your ecu with a 5spd ecu, or getting your ecu chipped..But the easiest way is to just swap to a 5spd ecu..

I got two links for you..the first one is how to make your own home made auto shifter.It works great and no neeed for the tcu anymore.http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/articles-drivetrain/320324-homemade-shifter-automatic.html

This second link is a little more high tech.It's a pust button shifter for your auto and it also works wonderfly.And people have had no problems with this shifter..Which sumone alreadey gave you the link, but these are the guys who actually make the shift box..RoadSurge.com

im not building a drag strip racer or anything like that, more so a red light racer. I just want my damn tranny fixed really.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back