The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support STM Tuned

Auto Trans Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mini zilo

15+ Year Contributor
Jul 17, 2006
Chicago, Illinois
Well, I just got a shift kit, and a manual valve, and the pan gasket and filter kit from IPT. I've never done any work on any transmission before, and I was wondering, is it ok to reuse the transmission fluid if you drain it to do work? I realize that if you are down there you might as well change it, but here is what I plan to do:

Install my shift kit and manual valve and my new filter, and change the fluid.

Then a few weeks/one month later I plan to install an end clutch kit and a new transmission cooler. Would I be able to re use the fluid I drain to install these, since the fluid won't be too old it wouldn't make sense to change. Also, where do you fill the fluid for an AWD 2g trans?

Dude...Im a cheap ass...But even I wouldnt re-use that shit.

Its not hard to go to autozone, throw in some slighty cheaper fluid, then when you get it all back together for the last time, put the nicer stuff in.

But on the same note, as long as its clean, you can do whatever you want.

To fill generally you just pour into the dipstick. With any auto car.

Actually...Why dont you just wait and do everything at the same time??? Saves a lot of extra work. And time.

The reason I asked is because I also have no idea how much transmission fluid costs. How many quarts does are car take. I was planning on using OEM fluid. If its cheap I'll just buy new fluid the second time but if it's expensive I don't want to to spend double...

I would think that would be ok as you wont need to drain the fluid to install those parts anyway ,and you wont loose much doing a end clutch or putting on a cooler .And just get a funnel and put it down the dipstick tube .Just dont over fill it.

You have to take off the tranny pan to put that stuff on....

If your unsure on some of this, Id suggest a repair manual. Or at least a lot of searching.
Cause doing some of that tranny work isnt straight forward. I put a new end clutch on, and looked around/cleaned the stuff under my pan. If you dont know what your doing you could easily mess something up.

The end clutch and cooler, ya, you wont lose much fluid. Had to re-read that part. But still.

Id just do it all at the same time. Have a friend help or something. The end clutch doesnt take much time at all. The others, well, depends on how well you know that stuff.

How much does it cost for you guys when you buy new fluid? Just a ballpark idea, because I have no idea how much it will cost and how much I need...

I bought like 6 quarts and it wasnt over 25....Should only be like 2-3 bucks for most fluids. Obviously more for nicer stuff.

i dont know how much you know of this install...

http://vfaq.com/index-main.html

Look in the AT section. Goes over the stuff.

Well I was going to use Diamond ATF...what were you using? Does anyone know how much diamond ATF costs per quart?

BTW: the reason I started this thread was because I was under the impression that replacing trans fluid was an 85 dollar thing.... I was getting my source from IPT's site where you can buy 8 quarts of fluid for 85.... I thought that was a little high, but it's probably much nicer stuff...

Diamond atf and a black bottle of lube gaurd. I've read that on here a few times.

I'm looking to do all this soon too. But i'm going to mass parts so i can do it all at once. Cooler, temp sensor, gasket and filter, valve, shift kit, end clutches. WOO! Should be a pretty sweet tranny after that.

Yeah that's all of the stuff I'm doing in a few days if a weather permits.... I just need to know how much people have paid for their diamond ATF from the dealer... Anyone?

Just would like to add that it takes about 4 quarts to change fluid , i belive I got 2 quarts from flushing it from the return hose and then 2 quartz out from the pan , And any way you are not changing all of the fluid your changing one third of it, I think the total capacity is 12 quartz just as much as for the cooling system. someone correct me on this if I'm wrong. So to really change the fluid you would have to do this process about three times.
Therefore to keep up with the maintance you could change the fluid about every 10-15 thousand miles. I heard alot of good stuff about lubeguard and mobil 1 atf synthetic fluid.
I not sure about the b&m trick shift , someone said that it isn't good for the seals.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back