The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Auto Tranny Slipping?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MistrMackey

10+ Year Contributor
Mar 31, 2012
olathe, Kansas
So Im pretty sure I have this one figured out but need someone to validate before I take it in to have it checked out . My car is completely stock 98K miles on it it barely moves at higher rpms, it feels like the engine is stuttering while driving like someone is tapping the clutch really fast. Yesterday it slipped out of first but I was in OD. I'm pretty sure the tranny is slipping all around which would cause all these symptoms just need someone to validate this for me.

Take od off, and drive it. If its better then the end clutches are shot. 30min fix.

Whatever you do, do NOT bring your car to aamco....

When's the last time you changed your transmission fluid and filter and your differential oil? That would be a good place to start. Then replace the end clutches. That's my current issue. Slight slip from 2-3 w/ OD on then no slip w/ OD off.

Differential fluid was changed last weekend transmission, fluid isn't low, was supposedly changed less than 10K miles ago. Was gonna change it again this weekend but if its not the fluid then I"m not gonna waste the money.

It can be the fluid. Change it, and the filter.

I change my fluid every 15k just to be on the safe side. Make sure you use Chrysler ATF+4 ( Same as Mitsu fluid ) and an OEM filter. Any other fluid muffs things up.

Unplug your tps, and clean it. Plug it back in and test.

I would change the fluid and filter first... Then go on from there... You would be suprised what a dirty tranny filter will do..

I change my fluid every 15k just to be on the safe side. Make sure you use Chrysler ATF+4 ( Same as Mitsu fluid ) and an OEM filter. Any other fluid muffs things up.

Sorry but this is false information. I've always ran Valvoline Full synthetic and never had an issue. Also some of the big auto guys use this same fluid without any issue, I've even heard of people using generic atf+4 with zero issues. Please don't pass along false information.

Now as far as the filter, go to Napa and get the filter and gasket from them. Exact same as the OEM filter but about 20$ less.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back