The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

Auto tranny fluid help

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RossY

20+ Year Contributor
Sep 27, 2002
Canton, Ohio
i wanna change the tranny fluid in my 99 N/T auto. Im curious as to what kind of fluid is recomended by you guys. Also, im not too familiar w/auto tranny's, is there a filter i should change or just the fluid? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

ther is a filter it is about $15,and i do not have a idea of the best name brand,but i think my haynes says atf 3

Our transmission are very sensetive to what kind of transmission fluid used. You must use automatic transmission fluid +3 (ATF+3). There is a filter that you should replace as well. The pan is originally put on with ATF RTV (RTV is room temperature vulcanizing rubber, it's a sealant). Since then they have come out with a re-useable metal gasket. I would recomend using either mopar ATF RTV again or buying this metal gasket. Cork and most other kinds of "RTV" do not seal as well as the mopar RTV and gasket. You can buy the Mopar ATF+3 or get parts store +3. I prefer the mopar but that's one of the areas where a parts store part will suffice.

The best way to service our transmission is to remove the pan letting all the fluid drain out. Then put the pan back on, refill the transmission and then drive the car 5-10 miles. Then bring it back and drop the pan and replace the filter, clean the pan and bottom of the transmission of the sealer. Use the Mopar ATF RTV applying a nice bead of sealant to the pan. Use the same amount that you see people in commercials apply to a toothebrush. A nice bead will insure no future leaks.

What this method will do is get rid of old fluid in the pan. The refill and drive process will then mix new fluid with old fluid in components such as the oil cooler and torque convertor that is not drainable. Then you drop the pan, replace the filter and refill it which will then mix that fluid yet again.

Let me know if you have anymore questions.
Doug

wow, thanks for all that, it really did help a lot. Where could i get the mopar +3 at?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back