The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Rix Racing

1G Auto Swap and converter options, trans mods etc.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Panchoelkatch

Proven Member
Jun 4, 2014
Lemoore, California
After trying to score a good deal on a 1g/2g trans setup, I'm starting to think that I am just going to go through with a 1G auto swap.

The plan is:
Magnus SMIM
280 Cams
FP Black JB
38mm EWG
2.0 8.5 Low compression Arias/Eagle combo
E85

I have a nitrous kit hanging around that I can use if needed in the future.

Would I be better off with a 9" converter on nitrous since I plan on upgrading my turbo anyways?
As far as the trans goes what mods can I do to that like pressure line mods, welded center diff, clutch packs?

I'm aiming for low 10's ET and 135 MPH traps

On ethanol you can get away with higher compression and it does help with spool/stalling your converter, I regret not going 10.1, as for cams I think there may be a better option for getting it to stall off the line without nitrous using smaller/different cams, I have GSC S2s but I was going manual before I decided to swap to auto which is a bit different in 1/4 mile operation. Kiggly Racing and Forced Four have good parts available as well as IPT, on the converter I dont think there is a rush to get it figured out without a baseline of your built setup to go from, see how the stock converter runs with your setup and power output and go from there so hopefully you will get a converter that works really well with what you have rather than guessing.

I'm going to offer an alternative POV. I regret having gone with high compression (10.5:1) on e85. I wish I had gone with 8.5. Having played with both high comp and low comp, the slightly better throttle response/faster revs of the high comp do not come anywhere NEAR making up for the even narrower tuning window you have.

All motors are different, but I have to have my AFR's around 9.5-9.7 on E85 (testing between 80-85%) around peak torque and 10-10.5 after that. That's a lot of fuel. My old lower comp e85 motor was happy in the mid 11's-12afr and actually could go leaner.

I would think very carefully about how narrow you want your tuning window before committing to a high comp motor.

I do agree not all shoes fit the same feet, there are different approaches that work well all together but not well when mixed up, which I am learning about. Small frame turbos with small single scroll exhaust housings and cast single scroll manifolds which is what we all seem to have ;) would not work well with that 10:1-11:5+ compression ratios and e70-80, but a divided T3/T4 or Vband tubular exhaust manifold with larger turbine housings/ larger compressor running at its efficiency with large cams and cast/sheet metal short runner intake manifold and a good cylinder head and e85-e98 would work just fine with that high compression, obviously this shifts things to the right and you cannot be a novice internet tuner, I would pay good money for 15yrs experienced reputable tuner that actively competes in multiple 1/4 mile 1/2 mile racing every year and does this day in and day out.

I should have rephrased my statement and included this information, what I meant to say is I regret not running 10:1-10.5:1 compression on a tubular twin scroll manifold with a more efficient turbo and cylinder head etc... I ended up with 9.0:1 compression ratio which is the middle ground between the different approaches for me.

For convertor, I'd really think about getting in touch with Jeff Bush. It's not very often the fastest man on a platform will help personally spec you a convertor and offer a restall if it needs tweaking. It's not the cheapest option but you'll get a bad ass TC for your setup.

Boom!! Noice, what wheels and turbine housing? I want a borg warner eventually I love the look of their compressor housings and the tech they have.

I would try to see what you can do without nitrous for now. I recently did an auto swap and was worried that my stock converter wasn't going to be able to spool my t4 s366. Tested it out and I can build 21psi with the stock converter!

The Fp black is a good turbo for a street car. But your choice of cams maybe to big 272 would be more then enough for
FP black. Going 280's you'll lose some vacuum that you'll need.
He got rid of the fp black and picked up an s366, I want to know wheels/turbine he has.

He got rid of the fp black and picked up an s366, I want to know wheels/turbine he has.

Zero idea man, bought the entire kit and intercooler kit off a part out, turbo has some play so its going to the turbo man Justin for a refresh Im sure he will give me a good insight.

Im excited, now new goals on an auto setup are going to be mid 9s at least. Im keeping the 272s and throwing in 2150s on e85.

I would try to see what you can do without nitrous for now. I recently did an auto swap and was worried that my stock converter wasn't going to be able to spool my t4 s366. Tested it out and I can build 21psi with the stock converter!

Wow thats great! Ive been having a rough time finding a built swap so its been fairly slow process. How long does it take to build that much boost?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back