The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Rix Racing

Resolved 2G Auto Help- Reverse

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark4g63t

10+ Year Contributor
Jan 21, 2010
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Just finished up my auto swap using a ratchet shifter and a shift kit. I have all forward gears but when I try to select reverse the car stalls immediately (like it hits a wall) almost as if something is locking up/ binding.

Anything I should be looking for? On the IPT install instructions it looks like the only valve that affects reverse is the N-R engagement which uses the stock spring. Did I miss something?

Thanks!

Solution
Did you forget to drill out the separator plate after hammering in the block off piece? That can result in binding reverse or no reverse situation. It’s something in the VB or a band in the trans that’s not installed correctly. Easiest to check is the VB though.

If it’s not the VB then whoever rebuilt the trans probably forgot to align the holes on the reverse drum with the holes in the case. It looks like this. Yellow should be aligned with yellow.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Disconnected the solenoids and NSS and shifted to reverse by hand. Video below of stall.

I also attached a picture of the valve body. O-ring is still there and all the valves move smoothly.

Did you forget to drill out the separator plate after hammering in the block off piece? That can result in binding reverse or no reverse situation. It’s something in the VB or a band in the trans that’s not installed correctly. Easiest to check is the VB though.

If it’s not the VB then whoever rebuilt the trans probably forgot to align the holes on the reverse drum with the holes in the case. It looks like this. Yellow should be aligned with yellow.

Last edited:
Solution
Holes and o-rings line up

Anything else?

Holes and o-rings line up

Anything else?

Could still be several things.

* Defective front clutch or retainer
* Defective low-reverse brake
* Defective oil pump
* Defective Pressure Control Solenoid Valve (PCSV) on valve
body or wiring circuit
* Defective pulse generator "B" or wiring circuit
* Defective torque converter
* Improper shift cable adjustment
* Low fluid level
* Low line pressure
* Malfunction in valve body
* "O" Ring for low-reverse brake circuit not installed
between valve body and transaxle case

Silly things to check are 1) the torque specs of the bolts on the VB. If it's too tight, it can warp it and pressure can leak out the passages. Rare, but it can happen. 2) Make sure you didn't forget a spring in the VB, or a check ball. 3) Make sure the sealing rings on the input shaft aren't bound or frayed. Not sure it'd completely cause the binding in reverse, but worth a look. I'd assume you already did this though.

If it's not any of that, then honestly it's got to be improper assembly as in a race/bearing is bound up, junk somewhere it shouldn't be, or just in general bad install of a clutch pack somewhere. But nothing has stood out to me so far, honestly.

Edit: Just thought of something non-trans related. Checked the reverse/NSS/shifter selector(on the trans itself) wiring? Maybe there's something loose or not wired correctly and when you throw it in reverse it freaks out and cuts ignition. This is really a hard reach, but eh. Worth a double check.

SOLVED!
Wanted to give an update.
My reverse issue ended up being that I had the reducing valve and the blue spring in the shift kit in the lower valve body flip flopped. Don’t know how I missed that with the 10 times I had it apart.

Had a different issue where I would shift 1-2 and nothing happened but still had 3rd.
Pressure control valve with the black spring from the shift kit was stuck about halfway. Got all the valves moving freely and it’s shifting great now!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back