The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support ExtremePSI

1G ATX Passenger inner CV won't come out

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

enriquez2000

Proven Member
Oct 5, 2014
fort collins, Colorado
1g awd auto always makes me feel stupid trying to get the passenger axle out.

In the past ive had to put a clamp on it and hammer the crap out of it... this time i cant get it out no matter what.

I need ideas please... also how can i prevent this in the future?

Ive read using a chisel or screwdriver but there is no where to put one on this trans like described

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Last edited:
Maybe clamp a C-clamp on the axle, and pry between the axle and the housing?

It is very tight up in there but any way to "notch" the hub in 3 places with a cutoff wheel on a grinder so you have a groove to pry on? I did that to my replacement CV before I put it in as the one I took out had a few factory grooves that, I guess, were made for that reason....prying it out of the transmission.
I made my notches in the spaces between where the CV hubs are since there is more metal in those areas.

It is very tight up in there but any way to "notch" the hub in 3 places with a cutoff wheel on a grinder so you have a groove to pry on? I did that to my replacement CV before I put it in as the one I took out had a few factory grooves that, I guess, were made for that reason....prying it out of the transmission.
I made my notches in the spaces between where the CV hubs are since there is more metal in those areas.
Actually did that last night and no luck

Im going to see if you can go through the drivers axle side to hit it from the inside.

Now that its just the cup I might just pull motor and trans then use a vice grip slide hammer on it out of the car.

Id really like to gigure out a way to eliminate this if I ever need to pull it again though.

Had a buddy who fought this axle for legitimately hours, into days. When he finally gave up and left the full weight of the axle just hanging off the car/hanging down, we were sitting there relaxing and heard a loud clang. Axle ended up just falling out on its own. I remember how much of a B*TCH it was though.

Idk though, maybe hang a decent sized weight off of it and let gravity try? :p

Sean, IDT you can get past the cross shaft in the dif. I tried and failed. I wish you the best of luck though. If it works, tell us what you used and all the tricks PLEASE! :thumb:

Sean, IDT you can get past the cross shaft in the dif. I tried and failed. I wish you the best of luck though. If it works, tell us what you used and all the tricks PLEASE! :thumb:
I looked at that and you had to go to either side... not sure im comfortable blind hammerring a screwdriver through that

This worked... would have worked in the car too but I wanted the motor out!

If anyone has tips on how to prevent this next time im all ears... would hate for this to have been a high horsepower axle

Lock a bearing splitter on the outside of it and use a slide hammer on each side of the splitter or a small body jack from a car or a porta power in between the splitter body and the transmission case.

I had this issue also... I found a post online about putting a hose clamp on it to use as the lip to put the prybar on.. I havent tried it yet but it looks promising..

I had this issue also... I found a post online about putting a hose clamp on it to use as the lip to put the prybar on.. I havent tried it yet but it looks promising..
I tried that... actually a heavy doty truck intercooler clamp... just wasnt happening. You can see it still attached to the cup in my photo

Some axle manufactures like to use a really stiff c-clip, and I think that's the problem here.

I bought a reman axle a few years ago and couldn't even get the c-clip to compress enough to insert the axle into the the trans. I could have hammered it in but I wasn't so sure about removing it next time. So I swapped the c-clip with my old axle since I knew it would install and come out relatively easy, which it did.

I know that doesn't help remove it once stuck, but food for thought when installing a new axle.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back