1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

2G ATTENTION! Carbonetics is a lousy company, lead by a liar!

Posted by Toni Eclipse, Sep 8, 2018

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI
  1. Toni Eclipse

Toni Eclipse Proven Member

Joined Oct 16, 2013
    Trogir, Croatia, Europe
    Attention!!! Sergio from Carbonetics is a scammer, liar, and above all, a lousy businessman!

I really didn't want to do this but after all the lies, and finally, insults, I think it is time to let the whole DSM community know who will you be dealing with if you order anything from Carbonetics.

(this will be a long post so brace yourselves)

The whole story started back in October 2017 when I ordered almost everything (I already have the carbon doors) that can be ordered for a 2G DSM from Carbonetics . Sergio was very prompt on replies and very polite. I live in Europe and I own the only 2g awd DSM in my country - my project car for the past 3 years. Here is the list of ordered parts:
    - Ab hood $650. 00 - Csl hatch $600. 00 - Front Lip $295. 00 - Side Splitters $370. 00 - AR kit (carbon) $2000 - Wiper cowl $220. 00 - Exhaust shield left and right $250. 00 - Bumper support FREE - Center taillight FREE - Radiator brackets FREE - Fog light covers FREE - Carbonetics T Shirt FREE Total $4385. 00 plus shipping

I was quoted 12-15 weeks till my order would be ready to ship. It took more than 6 months!!! After so many messages and constant lies, I requested my money back through paypal and said I would pay it after everything was done (to keep the 6 months buyer protection). He didn't want to do it so I had to do a dispute and get my money back. Some time after, my order was finished and as I still wanted the parts I did the payment again. Back in 2017 before I even made the order I asked for the crate size to ship all the parts as it had to be done by a freight ship. I was quoted 80x40x75 (4cbm), and agreed on that (shipping from LA to Croatia was supposed to be a bit over 1300USD for this crate). Sergio then went and built a 146x41x82 (8cbm) !!! crate and shipped it to the freight company (I was covering the shipping so he didn't care at all about the size of the crate) and they quoted me almost 2700USD to ship it to Croatia!!! At that point I was so frustrated I wanted to cancel the whole thing and just take my money back. Sergio begged me to forgive him and said he would go and cut the crate in half in front of the companies warehouse. This took 2 more weeks and was finally done and my shipment was ready to go. I paid all the expenses to Sergio and the shipping expenses to the freight company, total of ~6k USD.
    Two months later, after a lot of questions by the customs, and paying the tax, I finally got my parts. I unpacked it all and of course, something was missing! After 9 months of waiting, 6 months production time, he managed to send less parts than he was supposed to!!! I knew it from the start, since I've ordered 2 exhaust shields, left and right side (left being the oem and right being custom made on my car, symmetric to the left side), he didn't want to bother making the custom part (which he agreed on saying it was no problem at all). Every part that did arrive, has some imperfections, and the center tail light has a line of fibers that were dropped in the resin from the outside so it looks like a big scratch. Other parts have either wavy edges, or some areas painted black to cover the imperfections.

I spoke to Sergio about all of this in a nice and calm way, mostly cause I didn't want to freak out again (that is really not good for your health), and he apologized and said he would make the center taillight piece again along with the right side exhaust shield and ship these 2 pieces to me in 2 weeks from then at his own expense. I was ok with that, I said I was willing to forget about the imperfections and all the sh** he was giving me, if he played by his words this time. Of course, I was being naive (for the 5th time?!). After first 2 weeks he said he had been really busy and he needed 2 more weeks. I was at the point of writing this post back then but I managed to calm down once again. After those 2 weeks he needed 2 more, and after those 2, he said he needs the measurements for the right side exhaust shield. When I told him (again) he already had the measurements because it is just a mirrored item of the left side exhaust shield and accused him of buying time, he then sent me a voice message saying: „f*** YOU“, not once, but two times. This was the breaking point, and I believe I can say I have steel nerves, but this liar, scammer, bipolar idiot, really pushed me over the edge. When he realized what he said, he started apologizing and begging again, stated calling me and spamming with messages about his business being in crisis, workers leaving, saying he needs to change a lot of things or his business will shut down till the end of this year. I am done with this guy and I am warning everyone that finds Carbonetics products beautiful, save the money, save your nerves, DON'T BUY ANYTHING FROM CARBONETICS because you will wait a year before you get the product, and you will be TREATED LIKE GARBAGE.

I have all the conversations, emails, messages, voice messages to prove every word said here.

Street Build 2K  0

1996 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    manual · 2G DSM
  2. ist dwa

ist dwa Proven Member

Joined Nov 5, 2009
    Centerville, Ohio
    You were impatient, I have bought several things from them over the years in fact even before they were carbonetics as a company and it takes forever. I do wish they would state it takes 6 months to get a part instead of 3...that is their real problem. It is the nature of the business, you wouldn't understand since you don't know how to mold and make carbon fiber parts yourself. You live half way around the world and thought shipping would be cheap. You got into something you just didn't understand. They are not liars, just poor estimators of time and I get that as well, nobody wants to hear it's gonna take 6 months to get something, old contractors trick....see Tom Hanks "Money Pit"...."2 weeks"!

For the record I ordered two cowl pieces for a 1g right after I got back from the SO (mid Aug), I am hoping it will be here by Christmas.....patients son, patients.

For the record every part I have every received, roof, hatch, interiors parts etc all have immaculate and beautiful so the craftsmenship has all been above reproach.

I am sorry you had a bad experience but it sounds normal to me.

Archer Fabrications likes this.
  3. brian9397gsx

brian9397gsx Proven Member

Joined Apr 28, 2008
    sioux city, Iowa
    I think that is were the fault lies. Most people want instant gratification. Custom parts especially composite parts take a long time as everything has to be perfect you usually only get one shot because making repairs to it usually doesn't work out and you've got to start all over.

I've made fiberglass parts in the past and it's a real pita. You usually dont know if what you've made is worth a damn for a good week till all the resins have fully hardened.

With what you had ordered and the amount of parts I really dont feel 6 months was a bad time frame. I'm not sticking up for the guy as I've never met him or ever done business with his company but I do know he is a very small business.
    Also knowing a bit about composites and the process it just creates a ton of waste that makes the end product so expensive.
    Sorry about your experience and his misquoted timeline yeah I'd be upset to but I honestly wouldn't of expected all that in 10 to 12 weeks that's pretty fast turn around. Considering what all goes into the process.

brian9397gsx

2K  0

1993 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    19.80 @ 35.55 · 1G DSM
    95eclipser likes this.
  4. drcolt

drcolt Proven Member

Joined Jun 27, 2003
    Toronto, ON, Canada
    Harsh post.
    Sergio agreed to 10+ custom bumper replicas for the Colt/Mirage community.
    I myself bought one. I live in Canada and was the only foreigner to be in the group buy. I received the bumper with no issues. It did take about 6mths. But it's a custom job. Some guys had problems with shipping but that was the delivery company's fault. I was farthest and got mine quickest with UPS shipping.
    The bumper is of great quality.
    I'm sorry to hear your story.
    But there are always two sides to every story.

Street Build 758  2

1988 dodge colt 100 lx sedan turbo
    299 whp · 286 lb/ft · 4G63t Swapped

Street Build 708  6

1989 dodge colt gt
    manual · 4G63t Swapped
    mitsubishikid and 2gmitsueclipse like this.
  5. Toni Eclipse

Joined Oct 16, 2013
    Trogir, Croatia, Europe
    Dear community,
    it is not about the time that was involved, please read the post carefully. I still to this day haven't gotten one of the parts I paid for, he build the crate double the size as agreed with no actual reason and sent it to the freight company, the parts have a lot of imperfections and as icing on the cake he started insulting me. Please check the post here also:
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/dsm...6429294524316&notif_t=group_comment&ref=notif sergio1.jpg Sergio2.jpg Sergio3.jpg Sergio4.jpg Sergio5.jpg Sergio6.jpg

Street Build 2K  0

manual · 2G DSM
  6. Vegas smith

Vegas smith Proven Member

Joined Dec 2, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    This is the same story I see from basically everyone that deals with this company. This guy Sergio must spend most of his days apologizing to people over Facebook. Typical incompetent/morally bankrupt company.

Street Build 3K  10

1993 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 1G DSM
  7. lasthope05

lasthope05 Proven Member

Joined Mar 31, 2006
    Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
    It's not very surprising to hear this. They have a lousy reputation here with both projected timelines and manufacturing flaws/defects. Not sure why people still take the chance with them. They have tons of negative reviews.

8. Vegas smith

Joined Dec 2, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    It's also interesting that he's based out of Mexico so I'm sure his overhead is extremely small. A ton of money for a complex product but I'd bet he's making a lot of profit off this stuff and he can't afford to hire an extra guy to make it all happen?

Street Build 3K  10

1993 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 1G DSM
  9. motomattx

motomattx Proven Member

Joined Dec 9, 2010
    wampum, Pennsylvania
    He's a terrible business owner, he might have skills to make things but he needs to go work for someone else thats responsible, its as simple as that.

Drag Race Build 2K  16

1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM
    Toni Eclipse and Vegas smith like this.
  10. Mitsubishiown

Mitsubishiown Proven Member

Joined Feb 11, 2012
    Davison, Michigan
    Anyone who says this guy is impatient, how about the owner correctly state wait times online if this is a regular occurrence? When people order something from a professional business they should follow the times they say if maybe they were late for 1 or 2 people thats one thing but this happens all the time and its disrespectful to the people spending $1000's on their products. Even if he was being "rushed" and he was multiple months late there is no excuse for shipping a sh** quality product. Don't own a business if you are going to treat customers poorly and can't stick by your word.

Drag Race Build 468  1

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    awd · automatic · 2G DSM
    blktalon3 likes this.
  11. Talon96fwd

Talon96fwd Proven Member

Joined Apr 11, 2011
    Alexandria, Virginia
    You know what!!!! For the past few years all I have been seeing is post about this guy and his services. If the first red flag wasn’t enough for you. Then may I ask why did you risk and took the chance and spent your hard earned money? On his product?

869  0

1996 Eagle Talon TSi
    14.184 @ 104.365 · 2G DSM
  12. slowwhite

slowwhite Proven Member

Joined Oct 27, 2013
    camden, South Carolina
    Is no one following the carbonetics AB hood thread...
    http://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/carbonetics-ab-hood-pictures.506353/page-8#post-153700007

I feel your pain. Read all about my issues in that thread.

I feel for the customers and honestly feel for Sergio, he really is on a winning ticket if he can get his act/business together.

I know it takes time which I've posted several times. But his business I feel has taken off and he hasn't been able to respond to that demand and it's showing big time and in the end could honestly close his business of he's not careful. He's behind on work, and unhappy customers will lead to more, and more, and more, unhappy customers. Till they all leave, quite frankly based on conversations with Sergio, which is verified by the original posters comments, that time may already be here.

Sergio makes parts for several platforms. Anyone on here belong to other car communities that have seen if this business ethics happens to them as well?

Last edited: Sep 8, 2018

Road Race Build 629  17

awd · manual · 2G DSM

Road Race Build 6K  25

425 whp · 354 lb/ft · 2G DSM
  13. mitsubishikid

mitsubishikid Proven Member

Joined Jun 8, 2009
    Turlock, California
    They were focusing on the colt summit mirage cars recently I also was in on the deal for the jdm bumper they make for the 3g csms , I'm sorry that this had happened to the OP, but at the same time I'd like to hear carbonetics side of the story... I have not had any issues with the bumper they made for my colt, and I have had no problems with them or the products they sell, but this is just my experience with the company. red rocket 2018.jpg

909  0

1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 1G DSM
    drcolt and 2gmitsueclipse like this.
  14. jinscho

jinscho Proven Member

Joined Jun 16, 2017
    Bangor, Pennsylvania
    In a situation like this it's always important to remember, there are THREE sides to every story. The OP has his side, Sergio/Carbonetics has theirs, and somewhere in the middle you will find the truth of the situation.

It sounds to me that Sergio needs to work on his projected time of delivery, but beyond that it seems as though he genuinely cares and wants to put out a quality product that he can stand behind. Yes he had a poor choice of words, but we're human, it happens. I can't fault the guy for getting frustrated when a request for confirmation of measurements for a custom product turns into the buyer insisting there is an underlying excuse for a missed timeline. Don't you think it's plausible that he genuinely wanted to triple check measurements for a custom piece?

I do hope Sergio can adapt to these issues and make the necessary changes as I'd hate for a vendor that supports the DSM platform to fail.

Street Build 2K  12

1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder N/T
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM
  15. motomattx

motomattx Proven Member

Joined Dec 9, 2010
    wampum, Pennsylvania
    He needs to only sell products that he has on the shelf!, stop the advance selling of products that you cant make in a reasonable time period or at all. As far as the Colt and Mirage market, that is a Mexican market, the Mexicans love those cars for some reason, so likely what happened is that him being in Mexico where Mexicans can walk right into his shop, he ended up being pressured to produce Colt/Mirage parts before getting to anything else, thats just how things work when you dont have a professional/mature person running things that knows how to resist the temptation and tell the person at the counter "NO I cant do that, I have too many orders that are paid for that I need to catch up on right now, I will get back to you when I get freed up some".

Drag Race Build 2K  16

1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM
  16. donniekak

donniekak DSM Wiseman

Joined Mar 23, 2008
    Surprise, Arizona
    You can’t keep a bunch of custom body parts on the shelf being a small company.

Street Build 3K  0

1991 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 1G DSM
    drcolt, mitsubishikid and SAKJR like this.
  17. Toni Eclipse

Joined Oct 16, 2013
    Trogir, Croatia, Europe
    You can't keep accepting orders and taking people's money up front while knowing you will miss YOUR OWN deadlines by 6 months!!! To be honest it is not about the waiting time, it is about the lies, and disrespect. If Sergio stated at the start it would take 6 months to make the parts I would have said fine, let me know when they're done. Since he said 12-15 weeks, of course I asked if my parts were done after 16 weeks?! He said they were done, he just didn't have time to take or send pictures??!! And this went on for 3 more months.. Then he built twice the size crate and lied saying it is the exact size as we agreed. When the freight company informed me the package was 8 cubic meters in size and 700 kilo heavy.. just try and picture my face. The package size story went on for 3 weeks until he went there and cut it in half and all the parts were still fitted, even in separate boxes. So after all the sh** I've ate in the process and after paying sh**load of money (I even paid for the crate he built -200$), and after waiting for 2 more months I finally got my parts and yeah, surprise oh surprise, one part was missing. Even then I kept my cool and told him about the missing part and one faulty part, he apologized and said he will make these 2 parts and send them to me for free in 2 weeks time. That was 2 months ago. When I asked how is it possible after all the sh** I got from his side, he's now giving me more sh**?!, he said he has a lot of work and "Sorry but big projects are more important than your small custom part". He finally asked for measurements just recently and with car not being close to me at this point (400km away, stored after a paint job), I told him he already has the measurements as we made the hole on the right side exactly the same as the left side, so he only needs to mirror it. You know the rest..

Despite all this sh**, I'm still in contact with Sergio and I have accepted his offer to finish these 2 parts and ship them to me. I hope this story will have a happy ending and I truly hope Sergio will improve his way of running a business.

Street Build 2K  0

manual · 2G DSM
    Terrj likes this.
  18. bastarddsm

bastarddsm Supporting Vendor

Joined Aug 26, 2003
    Mendota, Illinois
    Here's my take on it, the stuff is extremely reasonable for what you are getting. It's one off stuff for a very small and cheap market. We are fortunate that he even does this for us. To be honest, just the effort it takes him to make one bumper cover is 10x the effort most dsm guys want to have in a total build.

If the quality/timeline/shipping isn't to your liking then I suggest you find someone else to do it, and be prepared to spend A LOT more money.

Last thing, don't ever give a guy a deadline on a build or product. All it does it hurt you. When there isn't a deadline the builder can work at his own pace and work on it when he's in the right mood, and not be forced to work when it's not right. I know as a customer it sucks, but you get better results and more for your money that way. When you put a deadline on things, and it starts getting late, lots of all nighters happen, the builder runs out of gas, and pretty soon is just going through the motions, instead of crafting a beautiful piece.

Showcar Build 5K  1

1991 Eagle Talon N/T
    9.805 @ 144.00 · 1G DSM
  19. bastarddsm

Joined Aug 26, 2003
    Mendota, Illinois
    Man you realize sergio probably spent close to half of your bill just on materials??? He has one mistake and he is basically working for free. Think about that.

Showcar Build 5K  1

1991 Eagle Talon N/T
    9.805 @ 144.00 · 1G DSM
    mitsubishikid, 95eclipser and SAKJR like this.
  20. Black95TSIawd

Black95TSIawd Proven Member

Joined Jan 28, 2003
    Dirty, New Jersey
    Sergio is the only guy in town doing this, BUT its no excuse for him having terrible customer service. Those of you backing him up are only fueling the evident.

4K  8

1998 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    184.4 whp · 251.0 lb/ft · 2G DSM
    Terrj and Toni Eclipse like this.
  21. bastarddsm

Joined Aug 26, 2003
    Mendota, Illinois
    You know what comes with on time deliveries and perfect parts, 4x the bill. Then none of you cheap asses will buy his sh**, and it'll be all over.

Showcar Build 5K  1

1991 Eagle Talon N/T
    9.805 @ 144.00 · 1G DSM
  22. Vegas smith

Joined Dec 2, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    LOL, cheap asses? Where exactly have you been spending big money, big baller? BTW, Sergio sets the deadlines for the parts. I doubt you read any of that before posting of course. Telling someone they don't have a deadline is the absolute worst advice I think I've ever seen. I've found that to be completely untrue in my personal life and also untrue by the many horror stories you see where somebody posts on Facebook that a shop has been working on their car for 5 years. Good god, don't ever just hand some guy in a shop a pile of cash and say "whenever you feel like it". OF COURSE they'll take forever because THEY HAVE NO DEADLINE.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2018

Street Build 3K  10

1993 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 1G DSM
    Terrj and Dstarperformance01 like this.
  23. Archer Fabrications

Archer Fabrications Supporting Vendor

Joined May 9, 2011
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    I had dealings with him twice,I dont remember what my projected timeline was but waited about 8 months to get my stuff, and a customer of mine waited 6 months... that said, the quality of the product is nothing to complain about.

However I do agree he needs to hire someone to do the customer service side of things. There is never an excuse to ignore your customers. And its never an excuse to lie that it’s on it’s way when it isnt. Ive heard a few times of him forgetting things in the shipment, but he has always seemed to make it right, and on his dime.

Customers are much more easy going when you are honest about the process and where you are at throughout. Thats my $.02

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 12, 2018

320  6

2006 Evo 9 MR
    awd · manual · Lancer Evolution
  24. Toni Eclipse

Joined Oct 16, 2013
    Trogir, Croatia, Europe
    Well to clear some stuff up. I'm doing a full restoration of the car (meaning the car was completely disassembled to the bare chassis and put back together with everything being new or rebuilt), this process lasted 2 years! Every piece of the car has been or will be upgraded and only top quality parts are being used. For example BBS LM 18x9 wheels I had to source in Denmark (from a gtr r33), KW V3 coilovers, 90% of the body in carbon, whole interior, and I mean every single piece of plastic, covered in genuine alcantara, evo 9 seats, steering wheel, brakes, evo 9 rear diff, ralliart front diff, evo 3 gearbox, evo3 2.3l engine etc. I have spent ~35k € on this car so far so please don't talk about the investment or effort.

If the quality/timeline/shipping isn't to my liking? How would I know this before doing business with a certain company? I sure as hell won't buy anything else again and go through all the sh** again.

Last thing, I never set any of the deadlines, HE DID and then he broke those deadlines MULTIPLE TIMES while lying the parts were done. Why would you do something like that? If you can build 3 pieces of something in a week, and you know that, then you don't accept requests (and take money upfront) for 33 pieces in one week. As said before, Sergio can build stuff very well, but he can't run a business at all.

Street Build 2K  0

manual · 2G DSM
    Terrj likes this.
  25. rival

rival Proven Member

Joined Dec 12, 2004
    aiken, South Carolina
    I know that there are a lot of people out there that have had issues with Sergio and Carbonetics, I must be on the lucky side of things, but all of my interactions with Sergio have been great. Just recently got my AMB V2 kit from him and it looks fantastic, only had one small crack in a part from shipping but not enough to give me a bad taste in my mouth.. was he a little slow on communications.... sure, but if he was communicating with everyone every second of the day that he was called upon nothing would get done.. just need to enter the process with him with some patience and let him do what he does, make great parts for our small community. Based on my experiences so far I would have no issues using him again in the future. just my .02

Road Race Build 3K  12

1995 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 2G DSM
    SAKJR likes this.