The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

Assistance from network gurus

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danny_l_2005

15+ Year Contributor
Mar 23, 2004
weslaco, Texas
I'm trying to make a web server to create a website using PHP and SQL. Now, is there anyway I can create my own web server if i'm receiving my internet through a wireless ISP (they get theirs through ATT) plus I have my own router hooked up. My computer ip address is a 192.168.1.* plus I get a static ip address from my ISP which is a 172.21.*.*

I'm trying to make a web server to create a website using PHP and SQL. Now, is there anyway I can create my own web server if i'm receiving my internet through a wireless ISP (they get theirs through ATT) plus I have my own router hooked up. My computer ip address is a 192.168.1.* plus I get a static ip address from my ISP which is a 172.21.*.*

You would have to run a dedicated web server
Aka, your pc has to be on for people to see the site.

Yes, I'm aware of that. My problem is that my IP address from my router is "private ip address" and I believe the IP address given from my wireless ISP is also a "private ip address" . Now my question is how could i make my web server work.

Yes, I'm aware of that. My problem is that my IP address from my router is "private ip address" and I believe the IP address given from my wireless ISP is also a "private ip address" . Now my question is how could i make my web server work.

Do you have the proper ports opened?

First off I can't base my web server through private ip address.
I went to whatismyip.com to get my correct ip address but I believe that that is the ip address what is given to my ISP. Using my private ip address will not allow foreign computers into my web server because any one can have 192.168.1.* it's a very common ip address in a network.

First off I can't base my web server through private ip address.
I went to whatismyip.com to get my correct ip address but I believe that that is the ip address what is given to my ISP. Using my private ip address will not allow foreign computers into my web server because any one can have 192.168.1.* it's a very common ip address in a network.

Looks like you ISP gave you a private static IP address LOL Call them up and ask for a public static IP address.

Yes you can. The way it worked for me.

1. Install IIS on your XP machine (IIS on XP allows for just 1 website)
2. Install DynDNS client (DynDNS Free Dynamic DNS (DDNS) Service) This client determines what your public IP address is and updates the routers on the internet
3. Configure your router/firewall to NAT port 80 traffic or whatever port you need to open, to your computer.

good luck. I was able to get my own website open but I eventually found it was easier to just buy one from hostgator.com (very cheap) and they support python, php, sql, etc... If you are running linux at home, you are on your own for setting it up in apache. It's still very easy from what I remember.

d

So you have two problems to overcome, routing and name resolution.

Your router is going to be using some form of NAT to allow your PC's on the private network to access the internet and for the packets to make their way back to the correct machines.

You need to look at the router to see if it will allow you to route inbound packets for port 80 to a specific machine in your network. Some devices will do that in the firewall rules for port forwarding or as a virtual servers. That will take care of getting the inbound packets routed to your http server. At this point you will be able to access your server using http://XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX/Index.html where the X's are the IP address your router gets via DHCP from the ISP.

As you know 192.168 netblock is not routable but the address of your router is, but since it belongs to your ISP is may change at their whim. You may be able to use one of the dynamic DNS services to register that IP address and update it as the ISP gives you a new one when your lease expires. Using one of those will take care of the name resolution so that you can be found using a domain name like Welcome!

You should look into the terms and conditions of your use agreement with your ISP. They may exclude you running any external services and shut you off if they see traffic or they may already block traffic to typical service ports like 80 and 25.

I see bane3d pretty much covered the same topics.

You should look into the terms and conditions of your use agreement with your ISP. They may exclude you running any external services and shut you off if they see traffic or they may already block traffic to typical service ports like 80 and 25.

Exactly correct. I had web server up on my cable connection. I only used it to share pictures with friends, but when my ISP, Time warner, detected the server, they shut down the port and sent me a nasty-gram...

Thanks guys for your help, I will try DynDNS and overcome these obstacles

Thank you Steve. I agree with him on the ISP thing about blocking you. Many times, ISPs will scan their clients and look for people that may be giving out "services". They then will either cut you off or change your plan to a corporate version which costs "a lot more". I personally say, just go with one of the cheap providers like godaddy or hostgator. Here is an example of the admin page for hostgator.

d

Attachments

• example.jpg
    example.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 52
I think it just might be easier through one of those hosting sites. I'm trying to learn more on web servers, PHP and SQL. Now getting a hosted through hostgator will it make it easier to create say login pages.

I'm trying to create a website but have a login for users to use a small program, instead of having to install it in their computers for fear of getting the program copied.

What would the difference be between web hosting and using a dedicated server?

a dedicated server is going to be your own server, you can do whatever you want. webhosting is just going to be taking up a little room on someone else's server. if you're just trying to make a person site, or non-profit site, don't waste your money on the server. i used hostgator.com quite a bit, not sure if they're still around but when they were they were always reliable. I'm sure there's hosts that are wayyy cheap now, just keep an eye out. and plus, letting your computer turn into a server wouldn't benefit anyone but you...unless you have a really high upload speed

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back