The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

420A ASD Problems Possible new female connector?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlizzClips

Probationary Member
Jul 7, 2023
Montebello, California
Hello everyone
I could use some help, This is my 2nd ASD relay problem. First time it happened it was fixed by replacing the ASD relay with one from napa auto parts about 3 months ago. Just a few days ago the No start, no spark/fuel happened again. I got another of the Same ASD relays. Plugged it in. I heard everything finally prime (wasn't hearing that with the old relay) Turned the key and it ran for a few seconds then died. Turn the key a 2nd time and didn't hear anything prime and no spark or fuel. Looked at the Female connector for the ASD and it looked horrible. The negative wire was about to fall off and I noticed this red wire I don't recall seeing before white runs back to the other wires that connect to the ASD female connector. I'm at a loss. not sure where to start or what to do. Any guidance would be appreciated, Thank you. Picures attached.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Solution
Ok so I think the problem has been solved. After triple checking that I got the wiring correct and then looking again to see if I missed any wires or other grounds around the engine bay, after not finding anything obvious. I asked my friend who sold me the car. He suggested swapping the ECU. Now keep in mind I have 2 ECUs. The one that was in the car during all these issues was a newer one from ebay, I purchased it about 7 months ago because the original ECU that came with the car would intermittently shut off for like a half second randomly, not all the time but once in a while so he had suggested I get another and save the original as a back up. Up until now this newer ebay ECU had 0 issues, So back to today I put the original ECU...
That red/white wire is the ASD ground. They sell the relay harnesses for like $10.00 at O'Reilly's, I just replaced mine for the FP and the ASD. It can't hurt to start there.

That red/white wire is the ASD ground. They sell the relay harnesses for like $10.00 at O'Reilly's, I just replaced mine for the FP and the ASD. It can't hurt to start there.
awesome thank you. ok so that is ASD ground, and what should I attach that one too? The others I can just follow and copy but that one I have no idea to which slot it was attached too. Thank you again for the info, I thought the black and white wire was the ground.

awesome thank you. ok so that is ASD ground, and what should I attach that one too? The others I can just follow and copy but that one I have no idea to which slot it was attached too. Thank you again for the info, I thought the black and white wire was the ground.
The red and white wire goes to pin 4. I attached a picture of my old one and of the diagram for you.

And this is the replacement harness your local parts store should have in stock.

The red and white wire goes to pin 4. I attached a picture of my old one and of the diagram for you.

Dude this is perfect thank you! now I know what to do, just need to do the cutting and splicing correctly, ive never done much with electrical. Thank you so much for the info! :)

Just take the wires one at a time and you'll nail it! You're welcome I'm glad I could finally help someone here.

Just take the wires one at a time and you'll nail it! You're welcome I'm glad I could finally help someone here.
Many thanks, yeah I will take my time. I was gonna do it today but I think ill slow down do some homework and look at more pictures so I dont screw this up. What im still kinda unsure about is how im gonna get the black/white wire connected from pin 6 to 8, because in pin 8 2 wires go in there, so im kinda confused on that. Otherwise like you said one wire at a time.

Many thanks, yeah I will take my time. I was gonna do it today but I think ill slow down do some homework and look at more pictures so I dont screw this up. What im still kinda unsure about is how im gonna get the black/white wire connected from pin 6 to 8, because in pin 8 2 wires go in there, so im kinda confused on that. Otherwise like you said one wire at a time.
You'll just have to be sure to get splice connectors big enough that both wires will fit into one side, then you'll run your new harness wire into the other side of the splice connector. I can take pictures tomorrow if that doesn't make sense.

Also, the black and white wire from pin 6 to 8 is actually the same wire, if you cut further down on your loom you'll see that it loops back from pin 6 to 8.

You'll just have to be sure to get splice connectors big enough that both wires will fit into one side, then you'll run your new harness wire into the other side of the splice connector. I can take pictures tomorrow if that doesn't make sense.
Yeah If it isnt too much trouble some pictures would help alot. im having a hard time picturing that LOL

Also, the black and white wire from pin 6 to 8 is actually the same wire, if you cut further down on your loom you'll see that it loops back from pin 6 to 8.
oh yeah I rememeber seeing it was the same wire looped arount I just cant figure how to get em both inside inside the same pin connector

OK after doing more reading and watching some videos I think I see what you mean. I got my hands on the connector from Oreillys and some bigger 12 gauge butt connectors which should fit bot wires. Its raining here now should end by tomorrow once the wearther clears up Ill give it a try.

ok so rain ended up clearing up.I did the wiring and it still same, crank but wont start.all the crimps are nice and tight. Could it be that the relay I have was shorted out when i turned on the car with the ground wire disconected? Should I order another relay? Pics attached. I know its not pretty gonna clean up the wires once I get it running.

Ok so I think the problem has been solved. After triple checking that I got the wiring correct and then looking again to see if I missed any wires or other grounds around the engine bay, after not finding anything obvious. I asked my friend who sold me the car. He suggested swapping the ECU. Now keep in mind I have 2 ECUs. The one that was in the car during all these issues was a newer one from ebay, I purchased it about 7 months ago because the original ECU that came with the car would intermittently shut off for like a half second randomly, not all the time but once in a while so he had suggested I get another and save the original as a back up. Up until now this newer ebay ECU had 0 issues, So back to today I put the original ECU back in and it turned on and to my surprise it fired up right away. I had it run for a bit to warm up then turned it off, swapped back to the Ebay ECU and tried again and sure enough got the same crank but no start symptoms and I checked my scan tool and it couldn't communicate with the ECU. So again I swapped it back to the Original ECU and it turned on again, no problems and my scan tool was able to communicate like normal. Now my question is did the ASD ground wire coming off cause the ECU to die? Or was it just coincidence and due to old age? Any suggestions on where to get this ECU fixed if possible? Many thanks again for all the help, I guess with this Eclipse you just never know. :idontknow::dsm:

Solution
Sorry I didn't get those pictures posted I've been slammed at work but everything looks great and glad you got it running again! It seems unlikely that wire did any damage to the ECU. If you had accidentally touched like pin 30 to 86 you could of potentially did some damage, but even then it probably would of just blown the motor fuse. Idk anywhere to get one fixed, but I personally am about to buy an ECU off of flagship, it comes to a little over 200, but is plug and play.

Sorry I didn't get those pictures posted I've been slammed at work but everything looks great and glad you got it running again! It seems unlikely that wire did any damage to the ECU. If you had accidentally touched like pin 30 to 86 you could of potentially did some damage, but even then it probably would of just blown the motor fuse. Idk anywhere to get one fixed, but I personally am about to buy an ECU off of flagship, it comes to a little over 200, but is plug and play.
its all good no worries. You helped out alot I really appriciate it. I never heard of them Ill look it up. Let me know how it works out, A little over 200 isnt bad. ECUs ive seen on ebay for my particular car it being a 95 with manual trans the ecus are running about 300 to 350 :(. but yeah good luck, keep us posted how it runs.

On Thanksgiving last year I pulled the drivetrain so i could swap the transmission and after putting everything back in (I think) I'm also getting no spark or injector. Picked up a new ASD relay, checked the connector too after seeing this post and it looked fine. But problem persists.

Next steps would be to check if power is making it to the ASD or if the ECU even works right?

On Thanksgiving last year I pulled the drivetrain so i could swap the transmission and after putting everything back in (I think) I'm also getting no spark or injector. Picked up a new ASD relay, checked the connector too after seeing this post and it looked fine. But problem persists.

Next steps would be to check if power is making it to the ASD or if the ECU even works right?
Hello Caessr, Yes I wold certainly check if power is getting to the relay. If you have a space ecu id swap it out and see if that fixes the probelm, like what happen with me as soon as the ecu was put in it fired right up. As of today its still running great no issues (knock on wood) luckly these motors arent super complicated just gotta take your time and eliminate one thing at a time. I hope you can figure it out.

Hello Caessr, Yes I would certainly check if power is getting to the relay. If you have a space ecu id swap it out and see if that fixes the probelm, like what happen with me as soon as the ecu was put in it fired right up. As of today its still running great no issues (knock on wood) luckly these motors arent super complicated just gotta take your time and eliminate one thing at a time. I hope you can figure it out.
Quick question (tried finding it on the forum but failed) but is there any difference between auto and manual ecus for 420as? Looking to get a used one from FBMP

for ECUs yes. For me it was difficult because I had to find one with the same part number as my oem. It has to match. From what I read the ECUS between auto and manual are programmed diffrent. I could be wrong, but I didnt want to risk it so I just waited until a ECU matching my orignal # came up for sale

The AT and MT ECU's are directly interchangeable, as long as you use one with the proper emissions specs. ('95 single connector, '96 dual connector, emissions revision one '97-'98, revision two '99).

Electronically, the primary difference is the "rev limiter" (ignition dropout). Which is 6464 rpm for the AT and 7300 rpm for the MT.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back