The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

Artificial Oil Pressure For First Startup

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

88BB8B

Proven Member
Oct 14, 2016
Coldstream, BC_Canada
Hey guys. So my local machine shop has quite a good rep, they even do full engine builds and warranty them. When I was in there talking to one of the machinists about my block he showed me this thing they had built to help produce consistent reliable builds. It looked pretty djanky but it was basically an old steel air container with an oil hose fitting and a air fitting welded into it. The hose ran down to the bottom of the container and the air inlet was at the top. That way they can pour in some oil, hook the hose up to the motor, hook a compresser to it and pump in pressurized oil before they even start cranking the motor.

I decided to build one out of an old potato gun.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

JB weld on one side of the threaded in air fitting and JB weld on both sides of the hose, as it snakes down to the bottom of the container. I put a small peice of filter material hose clamped over the inlet inside the container, and made sure the inside was super clean before I sealed it up. I've dry tested it to 50psi. (4"ABS is rated for at least 100)
I have it fitted to T into the turbo oil feed, But I figure since pressure isn't meant to come down the small head feed to the crank, that would probably give poor pressure down at the bearings, also it will be fighting the pump once pump pressure builds, so where do y'all think the ideal place is to hook this in? And what size fitting would I need?

If you look at the underhood of my car you will see an accumulator setup which is essentially what you are trying to make, they exist and you can buy professional ones and install them so that you can pre-oil your engine before cranking it over every time you start it.

If you look at the underhood of my car you will see an accumulator setup which is essentially what you are trying to make, they exist and you can buy professional ones and install them so that you can pre-oil your engine before cranking it over every time you start it.
Once it's started don't you close it once it's refilled with cold oil psi?

Once it's started don't you close it once it's refilled with cold oil psi?
You CAN close it or leave it open to act as an accumulator to provide oil pressure and volume when at idle after a pull or anytime the engine would need extra oil, also it adds a few more quarts of oil to the capacity of the engine if you leave it open, you can just close it before shutting the engine off to keep it charged for the next start, OR you can do as you said and just open it to pre-oil and then close it right after start up, in my case I have a solenoid so that I can open it with a push button prior to starting the engine, the solenoid when installed right will then allow oil from the engine to flow into the bottle to refill it, but wont allow any oil to flow out of the bottle without someone pushing the button again, makes it very easy to operate.

You CAN close it or leave it open to act as an accumulator to provide oil pressure and volume when at idle after a pull or anytime the engine would need extra oil, also it adds a few more quarts of oil to the capacity of the engine if you leave it open, you can just close it before shutting the engine off to keep it charged for the next start, OR you can do as you said and just open it to pre-oil and then close it right after start up, in my case I have a solenoid so that I can open it with a push button prior to starting the engine, the solenoid when installed right will then allow oil from the engine to flow into the bottle to refill it, but wont allow any oil to flow out of the bottle without someone pushing the button again, makes it very easy to operate.
That's awesome. A friend of mine has one for his compund turbo 1.6 miata and I never rrslly understood what it was for LOL

Hey guys. I didn't realize this thread was getting more attention. I guess an accumulator is a good term for it, I wasn't sure what to call it. I was considering installing it on the car as you've described for oil pressure any time. I didn't realize that was something people did! And yes, the valve is there so I can shut it and open it as needed. I will probably have it open until I get the car started for the first time then shut it off right away.

I was getting super paranoid about contaminants so I added a 10 micron hydraulic oil filter to the line.

It would prevent it from being installed permanently on a car as is since the filter only allows flow out of the container, but it should allow for a much healthier cleaner supply of oil pressure upon first startup.

Last edited:
Hey guys. I didn't realize this thread was getting more attention. I guess an accumulator is a good term for it, I wasn't sure what to call it. I was considering installing it on the car as you've described for oil pressure any time. I didn't realize that was something people did! And yes, the valve is there so I can shut it and open it as needed. I will probably have it open until I get the car started for the first time then shut it off right away.
They do more than just oil at startup. There is some really good info on the canton products website. https://www.cantonracingproducts.com/accusump
PVC and jbweld may not be wise. We are talking about up to 100psi pressurized oil here.

Thanks for the link. I wouldn't PVC and JB weld for a permanent unit, but I'm only going to MAX 50 psi with this thing. I figure I just need roughly idle oil pressure for startup. The JB weld should hold. It's holds air. But a container that could explode deisel oil all over my shop is definitely something I don't want! Thanks for pointing that out. I think I'll move the valve upstream from the filter.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back