The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support ExtremePSI

1G ARP Rod Bolts

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blueman803

15+ Year Contributor
Nov 3, 2003
chapin, South_Carolina
Just noticed that the rods I ordered came with arp bolts. They are 1st gen rods with 2nd gen pistons. What should I torque them to, and will this cause any problems, like out of roundness or anything?

who did you order them from? If they have already been installed onto the rods torque them to 40ft lbs with no problems with the moly lub. If they havnt been installed yet then you have to get a machine shop to re hone the rods after they are installed.

It depends on the size of the bolts...

http://www.arp-bolts.com/media/pdf_files/arp_cat03.pdf

Page 26 has the specs and page 31 has the how to. Do it exactly that way an WITH the stretch gauge method... I just use a micrometer....

Almost all rod MFG's run arps... Those that don't made their own of found other MFG's of about the same quality.

They are aftermarket rods so they need no resizing...

My teacher told me that any time you use ARP rod bolts or even main cap bolts to always have them line-honed because they tend to become out of round.

trbotaln said:
My teacher told me that any time you use ARP rod bolts or even main cap bolts to always have them line-honed because they tend to become out of round.

He said he ordered rods and the came with them... That means they are likely eagles or better and were built with them already so they are good to go...

Now with a stock rod you need to have the rod resized even if you put new stock bolts back in... or even remove and put the same exact ones back in! OMG

But with HQ aftermarket forged rods they were final sized with ARP's installed.. YOU need to ask the rod MFG (should have came with them) for the specs they were tightened to for the final big end sizing.... You need to match that setting to assure concentricity.

you should have the rods line-honed. ARP rod/main hardware does tend to cause things to 'warp' a little.

It's not just ARP... Hardware changes period...

Many shop manuals in the overhaul section say to number main bolts so you put them back in the same hole in the same cap....

They are first gen "big" rods. They have already been machined and balanced and such. So is 40 ft lbs the correct torque for this?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back