The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

2G ARP rod bolts on stock rods?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nazthug

15+ Year Contributor
Dec 24, 2003
livermore, California
Well, finally did the 4-2 shift and pegged at about 10000rpm for a sec or so, my 99 gst

Everything SEEMS fine, but i may have stressed the stock bolts, so before i keep moding and driving hard, i would like to know if i can replace the stock rod bolts with some arp new ones, or at least stock new ones

I keep hearing overreving may stress those

I will do a compression check tonight.

DAMN scared the shit out of me, but the car SEEMS to run good, nothing different, but i could have sworn i blew a rod cause i heard something that soudned like it dropped out and fumbled behind the car, but maybe have just been the exhuast shifting

WOW, scared me straight though, totally sux, in 5 years of hard driving different cars, never have i done this

BTW, i was racing a black SS so at least it was a decent cause...LOL

Let me know guys, what else should i check?

If you need to worry about something, it woudl be the main studs. Think about this, when a cylinder fires it forces the piston down (not putting stress on the rods bolts) and puts stress on the main studs.

As far as ARP rod bolts on stock rods, they wont want to fit, you will have to force them in, and then have your rod ends bored so they are round and free of imperfections. THe rod bolt will push some metal out into the rod end.

Also I believe the biggest problem with 10k rpms would be oil starvation on the bearings. Hence why overrevving usually causes a spun-rod bearing. If you car is running fine right now I wouldnt worry too much. (this is excluding the valvetrain of course)

I would really be concerned with the valve springs after spinning like that. If you are going to replace rod bolts, make sure to have the rods reconditioned. The are not just a drop in part. Without recondition, rod cap alignment will be off and you will probably spin a bearing or two.

hmm..i'll do a compression check tonight, if my valves are bent, it will show up

weird shit....and something sounded like it broke off and fell, but i couldnt tell from looking, everything seems to be intact, that just sux

now it just makes me worry about further modifications, LOL

CAN I replace the rod bolts with stock new bolts then? Just to get rid of the abused ones on there now that are probably stressed???

Same for the main cap bolts, can i replace those without having to do too much?

Any replacement rod bolt= rods reconditioned
Any replacement main bolts= line hone highly recommended
Run the motor till it goes and save the money for a good 6 bolt.

welll that kinda sux

so 1 overrev and now i gotta be all worried

LOL

7bolts are still strong, and mine is a 99 so i think thats the year they changed something in the bottom end to prevent crank walk i believe, so it should be a decently strong block for what i want, 300whp

but this makes me worry now...and i tend to worry alot

nazthug said:
welll that kinda sux

so 1 overrev and now i gotta be all worried

LOL

7bolts are still strong, and mine is a 99 so i think thats the year they changed something in the bottom end to prevent crank walk i believe, so it should be a decently strong block for what i want, 300whp

but this makes me worry now...and i tend to worry alot

If the car is still running perfect, and the compression is good you have NOTHING to worry about. Just consider yourself lucky that a valve springs didnt float.

160 across the board with 5 cranks

Plugs looked good, but white, the tips were white

Weird, i have it tuned to about 11.5 or lower on the wideband

I guess thats too lean for the car?

Well, compresion is fine, seems to idle fine, boost fine, i just keep thinking i weakened something like rob or main bolts

damn, LOL...did it agin, 3-2 instead of 3-4....

i keep forgeting to palm it outwards so that i cant possibly pull it in..but hey, i was in a 3 way race with a modded gt and srt4, as they were racing, i was pulling around them ROFL and then went to 2nd :(

I wanna rebuild the engine but really wish i had an awd so that i can actually use the power

I pushed the clutch in much faster this time around so it was only for a split second, but damn, it sucked

I did however tear the AC belt....i think it skipped

You, sir, need to fricken calm down on the street. ROFL

:toobad: Damn bro, you're really askin for it. Once, maybe, twice :rolleyes: c'mon now, humans are supposed to learn from mistakes. Yes, there is something called metal fatigue. It has a tensile strength rating. I'd be worried about it by now if i were you too ROFL

i know...i know...2nd time in over a year....its easier on these cars than on anything else ive had.....kinda sux

oh well...gotta start savin for a 6 bolt....damn...LOL

I'll have to say your very lucky, I was racing in my old 90 gst and i hit the limiter in 3rd and 2 ratainers flew off along with the rockers and 1 of the rockers actually broke. You got very lucky.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back