The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

ARP head studs

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ILOSE

20+ Year Contributor
Jun 6, 2002
charlotte
I know this is not some extreme tuning question, but I don't want a bunch of newbies guessing. Your mind won't fizzle with the thought process.

This a very simple question. Does anyone know if there is a difference in the ARP head studs for a 1G and a 2G? I need no guesses here. I thought the 2G had a smaller diameter but I am not positive. Thanks.

BTW: If it needs to be moved then that is ok too.

It is not a 1G/2G thing. It is a 6bolt vs. 7bolt thing. In '93 they changed from 12mm bolts (on 6 bolt motors) to 11 mm stretch bolts.

So you can not mix them...

Oh another note, ARP application chart is wrong calling this change as 94+. I wonder how many people with '93 motors got the wrong bolts.

Leon
RR

Thanks for the reply, yea I figured it was not a gen thing, but no matter. The interesting thing though fromt he info you supplied is that I think maybe the bolt size is reversed. Just alittle while ago I tried to put a 2G arp stud into a 1G head to try it out. And it wobbles a good bit until it bottoms out. So the 2G seems a bit thinner than the 1G.

Disregard the reverse thing mentioned above I read it improperly. Thanks again though.

Originally posted by GRNDSM
It is not a 1G/2G thing. It is a 6bolt vs. 7bolt thing. In '93 they changed from 12mm bolts (on 6 bolt motors) to 11 mm stretch bolts.

So you can not mix them...

Oh another note, ARP application chart is wrong calling this change as 94+. I wonder how many people with '93 motors got the wrong bolts.

Leon
RR

As GRNDSM stated it is a difference between 6 bolt (12mm head bolt) and 7 bolt (11mm head bolt) motors not 1G and 2G models. It was midway thru the 92 model year (May, I believe) when they changed from 6 to 7 bolt bolt motors.

Joe

Originally posted by Turbo Guru

It was midway thru the 92 model year (May, I believe) when they changed from 6 to 7 bolt bolt motors.

It was in late Junle/July of 92!!! In mid July they shut down the factory for retooling. So there were only a week or so of 7 bolt '92 cars produced. They are VERY rare. Barely worth mentionning.

Unless, you are one of those "lucky" '92 owners who bad shifting tranny, 7bolt motor and small brakes :).

Leon
RR

Originally posted by GRNDSM
Unless, you are one of those "lucky" '92 owners who bad shifting tranny, 7bolt motor and small brakes :).

Leon
RR

ROFL, that would suck! I happen to be one of the "lucky" owners who has a 92 with a 6 bolt motor and a 4 bolt rear. :)

Joe

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back