1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

are vw corrado's any good(supercharged)

Posted by irjoshy, Nov 28, 2003

Please Support Feal Suspension
Please Support STM Tuned
  1. irjoshy

irjoshy Proven Member

Joined Mar 9, 2003
    Elyria, Ohio
    yeah so my friend got a vw corrado with a supercharger and a 5 speed for real cheap... like 3500 bucks... and i was wondering how quick they are... j/w cause all my other friends seem to think that vw's are the sh**...

i honestly know nothing about them.. so i'm just askin....

2. DSMeclipse4G63

DSMeclipse4G63 Proven Member

Joined Mar 10, 2003
    columbia, Maryland
    The supercharged corrados are a bit slower than the v6 version. They bumped to a v6 when they couldnt compete with the talon laser eclipse combo and with the v6 they got a little closer but never quite matched our performance. Lets just say my high 15 sec civic got walked by one witha few mods. They are definatley nice cars, and Id own one if given the chance, but you should beat him stock even if he has a few mods.
    Andrew

3. irjoshy

irjoshy Proven Member

Joined Mar 9, 2003
    Elyria, Ohio
    thank you.

4. 92LaserRS-T

92LaserRS-T Proven Member

Joined Nov 13, 2003
    VR6 Corrados suck.... they are like the german DSM... they always seem to break down... oh well... thought I would give it my .02...

5. OverboostXS

OverboostXS Proven Member

Joined Feb 11, 2003
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    The g-60 supercharger they come with is a joke and also an amzing piece of machienery. It is one of the first g-ladder designs ever in a supercharger but it sucks so who cares. Corrados are sweet cars but damn slow with only an 8-valve and restricted exhaust and intake to the supercharger. they make a supercgharger for it called a Baun Brenner 2 bolt and that thing flys nothing less it is insanely fast also it sounds like a a damn siren when it goes down the road its sooo loud.

6. DSMWillyb

DSMWillyb Proven Member

Joined May 19, 2002
    Windsor, Colorado
    The G60 corrado's are slower than the VR6... and considerably cheaper... that's why your friend picked it up for a good price... They can be made fast (Lyshom ?sp? supercharger) but are restricted due to the 1.8L 8V engine... IMO they look extremely clean, and are the best lookin A2/A3 VW... a stock turbo DSM should be able to beat one... and with free mods no problem (especially AWD)...:thumb:

Shouldn't this be in the Hangout??

367  0

1993 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    · 1G DSM
  7. honduraneclipse

honduraneclipse Proven Member

Joined Apr 13, 2003
    revere, Massachusetts
    not to flame ... but my friend bought a 90 g -60 supercharged .... its slow and he even has a zex wet kit on it... he got beat by 2 car lengths by a 2001 n/a lancer 5 speed

8. VEE-DUBBER

VEE-DUBBER Proven Member

Joined Sep 14, 2002
    Renton, Washington
    ^^^ is B/S
    but a G 60 Rado isn't fast stock, most people who know how to use that G60 motor do a turbo conversion and stand alone. that crappy digifant injection kills it. corrado SLC (vr6) can be pretty mean. 14.7 bone stock with a good driver, and a few people will throw a 125 shot ont hose motors bone stock and they'll keep goin and goin with 0 problems.

DSM still better though...:D

9. Phil1320

Phil1320 Proven Member

Joined Dec 9, 2002
    Rocky Hill, Connecticut
    Before I got into the DSMs, I did VW's for 10 years. I was an old school guy though with 3 Rabbits and two Scirocco's, one Callaway turboed. The Corrado was and still is a very unique car as far as looks go, but, both powerplants suck. Like the guy said above, the Digifant injection on the G60 is the worst from VW.....and the G charger is not meant for any type of upgrading...even at stock boost I have seen them destroyed.

Just for comparisons sake...it takes 44 seconds to hit 120 MPH from a stop in a G60 Corrado....this is also the same time it takes a STOCK Talon TSi AWD to hit the same speed, even though the Corrado lags behind by a second in the 1/4. The Corrado VR6 will hit 120 MPH from a stop in 29 seconds...yep, a full 15 seconds quicker than the two above cars. In case anyone is wondering, I still have a test on the Corrado VR6 in an old Car & Driver that has a comparo of it and the Talon TSi AWD at the end of the test.....and yes, the Corrado lost the 1/4. Now, crack the boost on the TSi, and watch the gap narrow with the VR6 Corrado on the top-end, and watch the 1/4 ETs get further apart. Piss on the G60 and don't waste fuel doing it.

VW has nothing now....1.8T what? R32 What? We all know theres only one R32....it's called a Skyline...............

Phil1320

Phil1320

1K  0

1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    11.490 @ 113.850 · 1G DSM
  10. miguels3000

miguels3000 Proven Member

Joined Mar 31, 2003
    Los Angeles, California
    I had a buddy who had, i think was a 90 vr6 corrado, I must say damn that thing was FAST.... He did have a few mods, upgrade'd throtle body, intake, exhaust, coil, wires, and a chip. I was in his car once, first hand, raced against a lambo brand new with paper plates, dark blue(still remember the guys look, when my buddy hit him up on the freeway and of they go, the lambo pulled on us but only slowly, the guy was amazed and gave us a thumbs up.... Wish i had a camera, but atleast he has me as actual proof.
    Never got to race him with my eclipse, since he got a little cocky and totaled it on a turn, front and rear smashed in.

11. honduraneclipse

honduraneclipse Proven Member

Joined Apr 13, 2003
    revere, Massachusetts

12. Phil1320

Phil1320 Proven Member

Joined Dec 9, 2002
    Rocky Hill, Connecticut
    a certain not friend of mine has just converted his G60 to a t3t4 set-up and I will still drill him in my stock turbo talon with ease.......my supercharged Focus is a better competitor for his ancient 8v, sorry, the 4G63 is so far superior to anything VW has ever produced. If I were to step back into a VW ever, it would be an NA 8v in an A1 Rabbit, but the chances of that are slim. I still know that VW's are what got me into small car performance, and that the '83 GTI that I had started all of this craze, but, the truth is that the 4G63, the SR20, and the Toyota 3S-GTE are the desired 4 bangers...aned then of course you have your Honda freaks......and I respect some of the Honda powerplants for their NA power........the VW's that are out thes days are just not appealing.....the styles are sweet and the 1.8t has some potential, I've seen big HP numbers.....but the cars are plagued with problems. With cars like the Altima, Focus SVT, Mazdaspeed Protege, SRT4, and WRX out..........the VW falls behind.

Phil1320

Phil1320

1K  0

1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    11.490 @ 113.850 · 1G DSM
  13. candela

candela Proven Member

Joined May 10, 2002
    Austin, Arizona
    I agree with Phil about the rado's; however teh Vr6's can be pretty fun IMO. In NA form they stink, but they are very stout and hold nitrous very well. A nice chipped vr6 with an intake and nice exhaust and a 100shot wet kit can be fun at times and sound pretty nice. I always liked how they looked. My buddy had a G60 and it was pretty junky. THe supercharger lost out after about 4k, and they are definetly the DSM of germany always breaking =)

However that motor was ditched out in favor of the 20 valve 1.8t, which has capabilities, but nothign close to the basic design's the 4G, SR and 3S all have in common :thumb:

436  0

· 2G DSM
  14. 4TireFire

4TireFire Proven Member

Joined Nov 22, 2003
    I did extensive research years back on the G60 Corrado. I was going to buy a low mileage one and do lots of upgrades. I was steered away from this idea when a local tuning shop had one to experiment on. the owner was rich and said he was going to "OWN" the local street scene with this car. well anyway months later and thousands later the car was still nothing great. It was fast but when they started to spray the engine the tranny broke. A year later he had installed a second tranny and it was failing as well. he told me he regreted the investment and couldnt run faster than mid 13s without driveline failure. This is fast but not when you are in the hole for $4500 in mods!!! Even VW saw its demise and stopped selling them.