The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

are turbo eclipses...

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roguephoenix

Probationary Member
Oct 4, 2003
CaliforniaUS
are the turbo eclipses 95 and up high maintentance mechanically? i've decided to get a 95 or later model to modify and i'm just thinking if eclipses are the right way to go as far as mechanical problems and such. the reason i wanted to go with another eclipse because i've had a 92 and it's over a decade old and i've never really had to do anything major to it besides the tune ups. never had any mechanical problems all this time i've had it, so i'm thinking that mitsubishi is pretty reliable. however, my 92 is a basic non-turbo model. is a faster car more likely to have problems than my non-souped up car? any opinions? bottom line, i'm getting a different car that i'd like to modify and a 95 and up eclipse with around 200 hp starting is what i'm leaning towards since there are a lot of aftermarket mods for it and i've had experience with an older eclipse. though, i don't know how reliable a more powerful engine would be. hope some of you can put your two cents in.

Why don't you post a subject

are the turbo eclipses high maintentance mechanically?

instead of

are turbo eclipses...

:rolleyes:

Someone ought to ban your ass.

The more you stress something, the more liable it is to break. Turbocharged engines start out with a good deal of their mechanical reserves crowded, and getting _more_ out of them is pushing closer to those envelopes' edges.

Yes, you can get more out of a modded DSM, but not with the kinds of margins you have to work with in a Mustang or Camaro.

And of course, once you've gotten a motor that much more powerful, the more you want to feel that payoff.....

so does that mean a mustang would be a better buy? i'm also considering a mustang since it's a car that i've wanted for a long time, but i have no idea of it's reliability.

Originally posted by igs

instead of

are turbo eclipses...

Uncalled for. Someone can make the title of the thread what ever they want and your in no position to police that or make comments about banning.

Not to step on toes, and YES igs was out of line, but I agree with the vague thread titles being a pain in the ass.

If you have to ask, don't buy one.

Any turbo eclipse at this point has suffered through the boy ricer syndrome, which is that if it's modded cheaply, or stock with the "free mods", it's probably not too healthy.

My car went through HELL and back with the last owner. Hey, who needs transmission oil? Who needs to change the timing belt? Why bother doing all those maintenence fees when the next owner (me) can discover those JOYS.

If you don't want to get dirty, have backup transportation (Be that car pooling, bus, etc), don't get a DSM.

Originally posted by LandoAWD
Not to step on toes, and YES igs was out of line, but I agree with the vague thread titles being a pain in the ass.

**ices down toes**

no I agree the subject should be more detailed but someone doesn't have to fly off the handle like that.

roguephoenix Sorry to jack your thread here I may as well answer you.

95 and up and no more high maintenece then any other model. Then engine will last provided you take care of it with the right mods in the right order and keep up on oil changed and T-belt jobs and such.

Exactly what L2RTSiAWD said. The only difference in "more" maintenence is the awd version. It has more moving parts hence the more needed care.

Hope I helped.

Originally posted by igs

instead of

are turbo eclipses...

Honestly, have you ever contributed anything to this forum except bashing and worthless comments?
Try speedoptions.com you'll be a lil more at home there.

thanks for all the info, to those who provided info. helpful. wish i can find one that looks as good as eclipse4x4's gsx on that pic. looks really good.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back