The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

Are these pistons bad?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jlog1506

Proven Member
Sep 9, 2013
Roslyn Heights, New_York
About two weeks ago I purchased these Mahle pistons from another forum member. Here is his post
6bolt Mahle .02 over pistons - DSM Classifieds

This is what i got in the mail today. They are obviously not new, and are dented. My question is are they bad or are they useable? Im still in school and saved for weeks just to get these. Thanks guys

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    38.9 KB · Views: 160
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    26.9 KB · Views: 175
  • photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    72.6 KB · Views: 172
  • photo 4.JPG
    photo 4.JPG
    29.2 KB · Views: 168
  • photo 5.JPG
    photo 5.JPG
    24.8 KB · Views: 151
Those marks wont hurt anything, they could be new and have those marks if they have been handled without care. We would have to see the skirts to tell if they are new or not.

The pits and marks you are sowing are that that bad, and can be buffed smooth.

The big thing is if the skirts are collapsed, so the dia of the piston need to be mic'ed before they are installed.

You purchased a set of pistons listed as new from a Wiseman. Why end up making a thread on this? Any concerns you have could have easily been addressed by the seller, especially being a wiseman :idontknow:. It's looks as if they may have been installed at one point or another but don't show any signs of carbon or detonation pings from being run. Seriously though, if you're that worried, I suggest you contact the seller for more information. If you arent happy, there's always a refund.

You purchased a set of pistons listed as new from a Wiseman. Why end up making a thread on this? Any concerns you have could have easily been addressed by the seller, especially being a wiseman :idontknow:. It's looks as if they may have been installed at one point or another but don't show any signs of carbon or detonation pings from being run. Seriously though, if you're that worried, I suggest you contact the seller for more information. If you arent happy, there's always a refund.

He has been inactive, the reason I was so quick to buy them was because he is a wiseman.

Here are the pics, if you guys say they are good then I don't have a problem. The chips just scared me. I guess I was just a little disappointed I didn't see shiny
pistons in a cool box

Im not knocking the guy, I just care about my pistons

Attachments

• photo 4-1.JPG
    photo 4-1.JPG
    34.2 KB · Views: 159
  • photo 3-1.JPG
    photo 3-1.JPG
    32.1 KB · Views: 136
  • photo 2-1.JPG
    photo 2-1.JPG
    31.5 KB · Views: 127
  • photo 1-1.JPG
    photo 1-1.JPG
    33.6 KB · Views: 139
  • photo 5-1.JPG
    photo 5-1.JPG
    36.6 KB · Views: 135
I would personally take them to a machine shop and have them checked out. Pictures might be hidding damages, and you dont want to take risky chances.

Nothing about them sticks out as a sore thumb as far as anything looking bad. The Mahles never are shiney like the other brands though.

Nothing about them sticks out as a sore thumb as far as anything looking bad. The Mahles never are shiney like the other brands though.

Yea I have bought a set new and they coat them with some kind of green coating and the black coating on the skirts. The skirts look fine and is really were most of the wear is found. You could take them to your machinist and have him clean them up. As long as the ring lands are not damaged your fine from what I can see.

Do you think they have been ran? If so I'm going to ask for a refund. I was told they were new, I'm not going to go to a machine shop because I didn't get what I paid for, I would rack up the 200 and buy brand new ones.

They look look like they have been used to me. Used and then cleaned up.

There is not test to become a wiseman that verifies that you are legit and won't rip someone off. From what I see the guy ripped him off. Sold him a set of used pistons advertised as new. I would be willing to bet that ole boy isn't going to help him because he knew that he was ripping the guy off.

Do you think they have been ran? If so I'm going to ask for a refund. I was told they were new, I'm not going to go to a machine shop because I didn't get what I paid for, I would rack up the 200 and buy brand new ones.

They have definetly been used, the marks on the skirt is a dead giveaway.

mahle_4g63_pistons_1388241916_thumb.jpg

The STM pic in the ad and citing they are "new" is a bit misleading. Im not going to put a wiseman on blast, but this can be handled with another section on this forum. If you have to keep them, look at it as a used buy i guess..you saved about 200 bucks from new price.Just get them checked out at a machine shop and go from there.

There is not test to become a wiseman that verifies that you are legit and won't rip someone off. From what I see the guy ripped him off. Sold him a set of used pistons advertised as new. I would be willing to bet that ole boy isn't going to help him because he knew that he was ripping the guy off.

Thank you, I was not expecting this from a Wiseman, definitely expected great service. I am really shocked. I open a Paypal dispute, if he doesn't refund me I will go to a Paypal claim. Is there anything else that I could do? I don't want to leave bad feedback on him until I realize I wont be getting my money.

The STM pic in the ad and citing they are "new" is a bit misleading. You saved about 200 bucks from new price, just get them checked out at a machine shop and go from there.

I would rather spend the extra $200 and get them new with the rings. Its more of the principle of somebody doing that to me, over if the pistons actually run. I don't want to go through the trouble, waste gas, and potentially have to get new ones.

Last edited:

I understand that completely, but there is some trustworthiness and integrity involved in earning that title( unless the very discription of the "wiseman" reputation is wrong). From the original pictures it was hard to tell. After the second set of pics were put up, I can easily agree with you on that.

I was simply commenting on the fact that the first step in any dispute, is to contact the seller. Seeing the familiar red lettering, it's not hard to assume that he'd at least be reasonable to deal with. Seeing how long he's been inactive does now make me think otherwise. After looking at the skirt, you can clearly see they were used. Thankfully, the op was protected with paypal and has plenty of options at his disposal.

I understand that completely, but there is some trustworthiness and integrity involved in earning that title( unless the very discription of the "wiseman" reputation is wrong). From the original pictures it was hard to tell. After the second set of pics were put up, I can easily agree with you on that.

I was simply commenting on the fact that the first step in any dispute, is to contact the seller. Seeing the familiar red lettering, it's not hard to assume that he'd at least be reasonable to deal with. Seeing how long he's been inactive does now make me think otherwise. After looking at the skirt, you can clearly see they were used. Thankfully, the op was protected with paypal and has plenty of options at his disposal.

Why would you assume that a guy that sold used pistons as new is going to be easy to deal with. He himself knows that he sold used pistons.

Why would you assume that a guy that sold used pistons as new is going to be easy to deal with. He himself knows that he sold used pistons.

I agreed with you on that. The op posted pics of the skirt well after my original post. Let me clarify that originally it looked as if they may have been handled, installed, etc but not necessarily run. At that particular point, it didn't seem hard to imagine any issues could have been dealt with through contacting him considering his previous ( and frankly current) classification as a wiseman in this community.. After seeing they were clearly run, I'm more much more inclined to believe foul play was intended. Again, thankfully the op used PayPal or this could have been a huge mess.

those are not bad, I've put a evo piston on mine with almost the same markings, just make sure to sand out the edges that will scratch your wall cylinder.

Last edited:
I've seen people turn over a motor for 20 minutes have an issue and part it out and list the parts as new. But Imo those piston were used for a good amount of time past initial start up and inspection. My 20k mile wesicos looked better than those to be honest.

bryanwheat is talking sense Id listen to him.

I created a paypal claim and they have not reviewed it yet. I messaged him asking for the refund twice. Both time all he says is "its up to you" without giving me my money back. I don't think I have a chance at a refund unless Paypal comes through.

After sending this guy another message saying that I want a refund. He says to me that once he gets his pistons back he will give me my money, not happening and it's really starting to annoy me.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back