The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Are there any detailed Vfaqs / tutorials on installing a 16g/Big 28??

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RGdsmNewb

15+ Year Contributor
Feb 19, 2006
Edmonton, Alberta_Canada
I want to order one of these turbos this week.... i have all the supporting mods except for the fuel system, which is stock... so i'm going to keep my boost at stock levels (reason im upgrading the turbs is that my t-25 is toast)

Anyways, i'm a rookie as far as mechanical work, but i've managed to install everything else on my car thus far with instrunctions and i want to give the turbo install a try.

Do you guys think it's a good idea for my and i buddy(has like intermediate honda knowledge LOL) to attempt this install or should i take it to a shop? i just dont want to screw something up and mess up my entire car..... which is why i'm sortev leaning toward the T-28 as it seems easier to install than the EVO III which has the install kit.... i think we have most of the tools in his garage.... is there anything that i may not have that i will need?

when you order one of these does it come iwth instructions on how to install ? the only thing i've seen as far as decent instrunctions are on team-2gnt which has the video of them swapping a t-25 for another t-25

thanks alot

Did you look for a 16g install vfaq? It's an easy install, and if you've done your other installs then you can tackle this one.

Dunno about these days as it's been almost 9 years since I ordered one but I doubt they'll come with installation instructions.

There are several good write ups on the site on how to do the turbo swap. You'll need an install kit if you go the route of the 16g. If you go with the T28, at least use a new ss oil feed line. It is not difficult, but read through everything carefully and plan ahead for what you'll need and take your time. Get new turbo bolts, and use plenty of PB Blaster on everything. Make sure you have a torque wrench handy as well. I like to think if I could do it, pretty much anybody can. Good luck.

ok i found the one on vfaq.com for the 16g, sorry i had only looked here before.... Is the T28 install basically identical to just swapping in another t25 minus the replacement of the oil feed line?

is the 16g install harder or just longer? i think i would rather go with a 16g.... but i've heard T28 is good for awd

Yes, theortically a T-28 is easier to install because it is a direct replacement for the stock T25. Reading the write-up on the 16g swap will give you all the info you need. Pay close attention to the part about damaging the oil feed line during removal as it will likely happen to you. Best to by a new line before you start.

I was in the same shoes as you around 6 months ago... I went with a t-28, I had a hard time trusting myself to do it but i read about every t-25/28 install thread on here and i did it without any problems... Once your doing it, its kinda like common sence to uninstal/install the t-28... the stock oil feed line was a bi*** to take off, i ended up cutting the pipe since i had a new ss line... Dont get intimidated, take your time, use common sence and read up on it...Not only will you save alot of money but youll gain alot of knowledge and experience

I was in the same shoes as you around 6 months ago... I went with a t-28, I had a hard time trusting myself to do it but i read about every t-25/28 install thread on here and i did it without any problems... Once your doing it, its kinda like common sence to uninstal/install the t-28... the stock oil feed line was a bi*** to take off, i ended up cutting the pipe since i had a new ss line... Dont get intimidated, take your time, use common sence and read up on it...Not only will you save alot of money but youll gain alot of knowledge and experience

thanks man, you dont have a specific writeup you used for installing the T-28 do you?? Are you happy with your choice of the T-28 over the 16g?

I am happy with my choice... I have a ported Fp Big T-28... That thing is great! It flows more than a small 16g and flows as much as a big 16g... The evo 16g does however outflow it by about 50 cfm...Sry I dont have a specific write up I used... There are a bunch of them on this site tho...

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back