The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Rix Racing

Are the intake filters worth the money??

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ctnsupra1

20+ Year Contributor
Oct 31, 2002
Maryland
Is there any performance difference between the $15 ebay filters and the $100+ HKS and Greddy ones? Mine's pretty mangled and I'm trying to figure out if the HKS name justifies the extra $80. By the way, what size is the intake adapter? I already have one but I don't know what size it is and I might just by the HKS SMF 80mm or whatever size ours is. Thanks.

Conor
'95 GSX

You are just talking about the filter, right? Get a K&N...great performance, lifetime warranty, they are only like $40. Well worth it IMO, seems to be the most trusted and best working in my experience, every one of my cars has had one.

The HKS falls filter element falls apart after a while.

IMO it not worth it!

Just get the K&N and be done with it.

Yeah, I know K&N are great, I have one on my car right now. I was just thinking of trying something else just for the sake of it. Anyone know where to get just the filter? I can only find the kit.

If its mangled I'm pretty sure you can get a free replacement unless the damage was done by you. I'd stick with the K&N and if you are looking for more throttle response that money can be better spent on an intake pipe.

If I'm not mistaken the HKS and greddy filters are foam element. A clean PAPER filter flows more than a foam filter.

It is true that paper flows more that foam. However most people on here have turbo's that flow less than 500cfm (like a 16G or whatever) and even an HKS filter flows 600+CFM where a K&N flows 750+CFM. If your turbo doesn't warrant the higher flowing filter you will not pick up any gains from it.

It is true about the HKS filters breaking after time, just replace it yearly. I Have the mushroom on my car just because I like the look of it, I do however change the element every year, and pull the foam out when I'm racing at the track.

Basically buy whatever you like and don't worry about people's opinion. Eventually if you make Monstor HP though you will need a K&N for the higher CFM or just run no filter at all. We have lots of guys who run the streets with just the turbo hanging and no pipe or filter off it at all. (honda's miatas etc..) This only works on a DSM with standalone or a VPC.

DSMJim-do you know what size your HKS filter is? I don't have my car right now and I don't know how big the adapter for the filter is. I'm guessing it's 80mm but I'm not sure. Let me know, thanks.

Just buy the K&N and be done with it. I put it in my car and picked up a couple miles a gallon and performance improved too.

importparts.com filter is like $20 I haven't had any problems with it. As far as I know the k&n has been discontinued for about a year now; you must buy the fipk for $140-too much for my tastes.

As far as I know the k&n has been discontinued for about a year now

Where did you hear that? You can get them at any auto parts store USA.

are you talking about the drop in or the conical? i called up buschur and they said you could only get the fipk, not the filter alone. calling others netted me the same.

conical....

If they did stop making them, I was not aware and places around here must just have some stocked up. I've also seen them on ebay. Anyway, Autozone, pepboys, and local performance shops carry the conical filters around here. Myself and others have purchased them within the last year.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back