The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

Are the front axles the same on Fwd and Awd?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sk8rtrint

Probationary Member
Dec 31, 2002
Marshall_AR
Are the front axles on a fwd and Awd the same? I had a guy tell me that if I change my left front axle to an awd I will get less wheel hop and no torque steer. I have axcess to one, but I dont wanna waste my money. Please help!

that is a line of crap, you will get torque steer from a car with drive tires in the front, if you want to cut down torque steer then get an LSD for the front diff., it may not completely get rid of it but it will get rid of most.

look under the repair and problem section. I posted a thread there "wheel hop" and you will see where he said that.

the axles my interchange but that won't help torque steer, it is just one of the things you have to learn to work at getting around it on a launch, my car is AWD and i still get wheel hop in it.

I have access to a 2g awds front axles. What i am wondering is if the awds front axles will help my 2g talon tsi fwd with traction, or are the axles the same? Does anyone know?

I am by no means FWD torque-steer expert, but from what I understand 93-99 turbo FWD axles are bigger and better than 90-93 FWD and all AWD axles.

AWD axle might be an upbrade for 90-92 FWD, but not for 93+. Besides, they do not fit the differential.

I tried my AWD in FWD mode and torque steer was terrible!

Leon
RR

late 1G/2G front axles are not cross compatible at the trans end. FWD spline diameter is larger.

Thanks guys. Sorry for all the questions. My car is not that bad, but it just takes more skill to drive than Awd cars, which is fine by me. It will just make me a better driver the more I get used to it. I bought this car and it has some mods done to it, so wheel hop and some torque steer is gonna be present. I just want to set it up the best I can.

I still have some wheel hop but the axles did help it is too bad they will not work on your car. I plan to put some motor mount inserts in and replace the sub frame bushings. I will let you know if those 2 things help. I also have 2 air strokes or whatever they are called to raise the back end up. I need to make brackets to mount them. I will have it done by the shoot out. I hope it works well

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back