The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Resolved Are Eclipses American Engine or Japanese?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SharpGS

Probationary Member
Aug 12, 2002
IL
I've heard that the Eclipse is Japanese engine and some say they are American engine. I'm confused...

DSM made the engine and it is a joint venture between Chrysler and Mitsubishi. The engine was designed and built by Mitusbishi, so if push comes to shove when they try to class a Talon, it will go to the import class.

I just realized you have a N/A. Yours is the Chrysler side of the house. You share the engine with the Neon. Sorry about that. Welcome the wonderful world of conglomerate corporations.

I'm a newb to this stuff... What's N/A? Which eclipse would carry the imported engine?

Thanks for the info. I guess it's worth trading it for a GSX with a Jap Engine.

Maybe the GS and GSX are the same engine. That makes sence cus hey're both 2.0 DOHC right? Except the GS without the turbo. Then that means 1.8 Base is American.

One thing I would recommend is dropping this whole conception of american versus import. It won't work on our cars and isn't a healthy thing to worry about regardless. If someone is bothering you about being a "import" or "jap" car, say that you are with pride. Our cars have beaten the snot out of the "competitive" domestics for many years.

Is a 92' DOHC 2.0 the same as a 90' DOHC 2.0 GSX engine without the turbo? My car has only 50k on it. I want to get a 90' GSX but I want to switch my 50k engine with the 90' GSX.

Originally posted by SharpGS
Maybe the GS and GSX are the same engine. That makes sence cus hey're both 2.0 DOHC right? Except the GS without the turbo. Then that means 1.8 Base is American.

Well, the 1.8 is also mitsubishi (4g37)....which only were offered on early 1st gen DSMs...

Mainly, Chrysler reaped a lot of benefits from Mistubishi and didn't give whole lot back in return (maybe some cash). I haven't seen anything on the car that reeks of american design, and everything we can find is Japanese made. Whatever Chrysler's part in the deal was, it baffles me.

Originally posted by SharpGS
Is a 92' DOHC 2.0 the same as a 90' DOHC 2.0 GSX engine without the turbo? My car has only 50k on it. I want to get a 90' GSX but I want to switch my 50k engine with the 90' GSX.

They are similar. There are different compression ratios and other things I cant remember right now. You can swap engines but it would be cheaper to sell your car and buy a turbo.

I didn't have the heart to tell him that, but it's true. Every single turbo owner will tell you. Don't try swapping. Your electronics aren't meant to handle it, there is a lot of driveline that has to be swapped with it. Just buy a turbo car to start with.

i'm not too sure if i'm right, but the turbo 4g63 in the 1g is kinda different from the N/A version, being that the 4g63 has casted or stronger pistons and oil squirters (jets).

the 1g turbo 4g63 motors are solid fondations for building a fast dsm.

the way i would do the trade is, do a compression check on the gsx...if it reads good compression and everything else is in good working order, i would even trade it. but if the gsx does not have good compression, trade your car and ask for a little money along with the trade.

well thats my opinion...hope it helps you out

Thanks, I will taket that advise before buying. Does rebuilding an engine make it like new or does it only restore some of the performance back?

Wow there are a lot of well-informed people on this site. Just wanted to comment on my 2G '99. According to the window sticker, everything was manufactured in the US, except the engine which came from Mitsubishi of Japan. Therefore, I have to laugh that what is considered an "import" is actually more domestic than some "domestic cars". I think the lines are just so blurred with all of the trade between the industrialized nations.

BG

Somebody at work said that the Eclipse's engine was made in US using some Japanese parts.

1) 1G's came with a 1.8L na, 2.0l na (4g63), and a 2.0l Turbo (4g63)
2) 2G's came with a 2.0L na (420A neon engine), and a 2.0L turbo (4g63) and a 2.4L na engine in nonturbo spyders.
3) ALL DSM's, and I mean all of them 1G and 2G, were built in Normal, Illinois. Galant VR's were imported from Japan and that is why they have the number plackards.

They own a percentage of Mitsu. So $$ for Mitsu. is $$ for Chrysler.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back