The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Archer Bros. Racing Talon Resurrection

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greg Collier

20+ Year Contributor
Mar 8, 2003
Diego, California
1993 Archer Racing Eagle Talon

I’m always receiving correspondence from fellow DSMers around the country and today I got the resurrection of another Archer Brothers racing legend from it’s new owner Scott from Wisconsin.

History:
Driven by Willy Lewis in 1993 for the Archer Brothers Racing Team. SCCA Class B champion.
Retired to Archer collection of championship winning cars, Duluth, MN (1993 - ?).
Acquired by David Nielsen collection for museum display; Traverse City, MI (? – 2001).
Acquired by Jim Dale collection and stored (2001 – 2005).
Purchased by current owner in April, 2005.
Preparation:
The car has no VIN, with an odometer reading of approximately 7,800 miles. It was believed to be prepared new by Chrysler motorsports and Archer Racing. This car was driven in one track day and two autocrosses since winning the championship in 1993. The vehicle is preserved as it finished the 1993 season. Other than the replacement of safety equipment, tires and service items the car is original, including the original paint and decals.

Engine:Mitsubishi 4G63 turbocharged 2 liter engine - prepared by Comptech
Fuel Comtrol: HKS VPC
Boost Control: HKS EVC
Transmission: Modified Mitsubishi 5 speed
Suspension: Coil over - Eibach springs with Bilstein dampers. Adjustable rear sway bar.
Braking: Stock rotors, vented calipers, Porterfield pads
Wheels: BBS 16 x 8
Tires: 245/45-16 Toyo Proxes RA-1
OMP seat and belts
Autometer gauges
Engine oil and transmission fluid coolers
Onboard fire supression system

The Archer Racing Eagle Talon program dominated their classes for much of the early 90’s.

Archer Racing began the Eagle Talon program during the 1991 racing season. That year Mitch Wright earned the Eagle Talon it’s first class win.
In 1992 Neil Hannemann won the new Class D championship in the HighwayMaster Talon over teammate Bill Saunders.

In 1993 Class D disappeared as the Eagles moved into Class B with the BMW M3. Lou Gigliotti had won the Class B title the past two years, but could not overcome Willy Lewis in the Archer Brothers Eagle Talon.

Classes were renamed again in 1994 to World Challenge, Touring Car and Super Production. Neil Hanneman won his second championship in three years – this time in Touring Car with the Talon.

Year-By-Year Final Placings for the Archer Racing Eagle Talon Program:
1990 (Super Production Class)
1 – Bobby Archer
3 – Tommy Archer
4 – Mitch Wright

1991 (Super Production Class)
1 – Mitch Wright
5 – Tommy Archer
6 – Bobby Archer

1992 (Class D)
1 – Neil Hannemann
2 – Bill Saunders
4 – Oscar Peralta

1993 (Class B)
1 – Willy Lewis
3 – Neil Hannemann
5 – Paul Armstrong

1994 (Touring Car Class)
1 – Neil Hannemann
4 – Willy Lewis
5 – Paul Armstrong

1995 (Touring Class)
1 – Neil Hannemann
2 – Willy Lewis
5 – Paul Armstrong

1996 (Touring 1 Class)
2 – Willy Lewis
4 – Greg Theiss

Attachments

• Archer engine.JPG
    Archer engine.JPG
    108.9 KB · Views: 4,465
  • archer front body.JPG
    archer front body.JPG
    77.3 KB · Views: 3,917
  • Archer full photo.JPG
    Archer full photo.JPG
    98.1 KB · Views: 3,892
  • Archer interior.JPG
    Archer interior.JPG
    87 KB · Views: 3,957
Impressive. So were going to see this car on a track then??

So awesome to see that car back on the road. Me and my dad were discussing the old Archer racing cars while watching Tommy tear it up in his ne Viper (well literally after he rear-ended that vette) on Sunday at the St. Petersburg Speedvision GT race. Tommy's been involved with Chry Co. for along time now and I wouldn't be surprised if that was a non-vin car.

http://www.archerracing.com/history.htm

I'm guessing it runs a big sidemount? Can't see one in the second pic, but it might be removed temporarily.

I saw an ad for one of these Firestone cup cars in grassroots motorsports a couple months ago with about the same mileage on it. I think they were asking $7000 for it if I remember right. It was the #32 car and identical to the #31 on the link above.

I've got a bunch of pics of that car and yours greg at my other gallery.

http://gallery.indystars.org/album21

Zero Bar said:
Impressive. So were going to see this car on a track then??

He's doing his final shake down this week and running Road America this coming weekend :thumb:

mavisky said:
I've got a bunch of pics of that car and yours greg at my other gallery.

That's really cool Kyle, I'm honored... :cool:

I watched the GT, Touring, and IRL there this weekend. Great track setup... not a lot of room for passing though OMG

I didn't even realize the IRL was racing until later, stupid different channels. You see that neon go flying intot the wall on the start? That was pure insanity OMG

That's really cool Kyle, I'm honored... :cool:

Hey I don't have the money to go out all the time and be the first one to try something so I use the resources available to me to save me some cash when it comes to building my car. I'm still trying to figure out where everything is going to fit up front on my car, let me know if you figure out something for brake ducts this year. I'm thinking NACA ducts on the sides of the bumper are my only option ala the RRE tri color fwd.

Edit - is that thing running the stock radiator without any major ducting WTF

mavisky said:
I didn't even realize the IRL was racing until later, stupid different channels. You see that neon go flying intot the wall on the start? That was pure insanity OMG

Hey I don't have the money to go out all the time and be the first one to try something so I use the resources available to me to save me some cash when it comes to building my car. I'm still trying to figure out where everything is going to fit up front on my car, let me know if you figure out something for brake ducts this year. I'm thinking NACA ducts on the sides of the bumper are my only option ala the RRE tri color fwd.

Edit - is that thing running the stock radiator without any major ducting WTF

Yeah, I have no idea how the Neon got stuck in reverse full throttle:confused:

Nope, no ducting as of yet... but it will be a reality!

The stock radiaitor is a "class" thing, but he's got a lot of air coming through that front end...

anyone hear how the neon driver is doing? that was a tough hit and they didnt talk about his condition.

How much was this car, and how much of these cars were made?

My friend pat, owner of a local place called FMR Industries used to be archers crew chief on the old dodge daytona trans am cars. Beauitiful cars, i got several pics of them

Greg Collier said:
He's doing his final shake down this week and running Road America this coming weekend :thumb:

I'll be at Road America this weekend too for the mfba event, formerly called speedseekers. I'll have to take a bunch of pics of this awesome car. I'm running my 92 Dodge Stealth this weekend, but in a less aggressive class. He's signed up for assertive. I'm in intermediate.

The weather report looks awesome too! High 40's low 50's, sunny, no rain!! :thumb: I can't even concentrate at work (obviously, I'm on dsmtuners ROFL ). I'm getting so excited for this weekend!!!

what an awesome car. maybe mine can be that empty one day

I was thinking the same thing. This could be a big offseason for the talon at the end of this year. I may officially retire it from semi-daily-driver status.

mavisky said:
I was thinking the same thing. This could be a big offseason for the talon at the end of this year. I may officially retire it from semi-daily-driver status.

Yeah, then you need to figure the cost of a truck and trailer... ;)

Greg Collier said:

Gonna work on dad to borrow his F150 and then rent a U-hual Dolly. Figure it's cheaper than making payments on a truck and trailer I'll never use :D

mavisky said:
Gonna work on dad to borrow his F150 and then rent a U-hual Dolly. Figure it's cheaper than making payments on a truck and trailer I'll never use :D

Buy a winch and start a tow truck business in your spare time. You could call it "Kyles Towing" :p

Greg Collier said:
I'm heading in that direction now. I've been looking at trucks that are capable of pulling the Laser around. I can get something that will do it for anywhere from $2500 on up for a truck and used trailer for somewhere around $1000. I need a daily driver and might as well make it a truck that I can use to haul the Laser around. Don't quite need a v10 like you though Greg!
I'd love to see one of those cars in person. Seeing it in nearly new condition and what the mods were like back in 93 in the fledgling years of these cars would be awesome. I've always wondered what these cars felt like new and that's probably the closest I'll ever come.

I found this old photograph of my car in the early years. OMG ;)

Attachments

• Laser changes 1.JPG
    Laser changes 1.JPG
    54.4 KB · Views: 3,322
OMG, the Erebuni Testerossa kit. I've never seen that actually installed on anyone's car.

Still got the yellow NGK Mirrors I see.

Took a pic of my car cleaned up and ready for the first race, going tomorrow to get the vinyl cut for my new class this year.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

mavisky said:
OMG, the Erebuni Testerossa kit. I've never seen that actually installed on anyone's car.
Still got the yellow NGK Mirrors I see.

That kit was on the car when I bought it. I still have those black 16 x 8 rims. Check out the huge wing on the back... what was I thinking ROFL ROFL

Those mirrors have been repainted at least 4x's with new graphics each time (something has to be familiar) :shhh:

Your car is looking pretty mean there Kyle...

Man seeing pics of your cars makes me wanna dust of the old talon and get er running again

Greg Collier said:
That kit was on the car when I bought it. I still have those black 16 x 8 rims. Check out the huge wing on the back... what was I thinking ROFL ROFL

Those mirrors have been repainted at least 4x's with new graphics each time (something has to be familiar) :shhh:

Your car is looking pretty mean there Kyle...

Hey NGK makes some great plugs. I might have to make a set of NGK mirrors myself :thumb:.

mavisky said:
Took a pic of my car cleaned up and ready for the first race, going tomorrow to get the vinyl cut for my new class this year.

The car looks good Kyle! Do you run on the Azenis'? Or do you have R comps for autocross?
Here's a pic of mine from sunday's autocross:

Can't wait to see that beast at R.A. this weekend. I really need a camera. :sosad: See you there StealthTT.

Zero Bar said:
The car looks good Kyle! Do you run on the Azenis'? Or do you have R comps for autocross?

I run on the Azenis in Street Mod Streettire, but I do have a set of V700 Victoracers at home as well.

Greg, I never saw your car quite like that. It must have been before your NASA days. Kyle your car looks super, I hope you are able to get it out there this year. David's car (pix below) is coming around, with some help from Greg. We hope it's finished in time for some HPDE runs, at Willow Springs, in May.

Attachments

• DAV1.jpg
    DAV1.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 5,557
Greg, that pic of your back in the day has the same checker-board pattern, as it does today (kinda) except different color.

Glad to see there is interest in the Archer car. I'll have it at Road America this weekend for the F Body event. I had it out three times last summer after I purchased it.

If ANYONE has any information, press releases, etc, etc..... for this car I would appreciate you dropping me a line.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back