The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

General Apexi Neo fuel management system help

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mapler_Monje

Probationary Member
Nov 16, 2020
indio, California
i bought a 1997 eclipse gst spyder and it came with the apexi neo fuel management when i first bought the car it was running perfectly fine. after inspecting the car i hit initialize on the apexi neo system and now my car barely runs i have very little experience in that system and i would just like some help to at least get the car running because as of right now it chokes out

The first thing you need to do is figure out what has been changed from stock on your car besides the Neo. The Neo modifies the airflow that the ECU sees based on the throttle position and RPMs. The most usual use case is when larger injectors are installed and you need the ECU to inject less fuel. (shorten the injector pulse width). It does that by telling the ECU that less air is entering (by the correction factor % programmed in the Neo).

okay i know for sure the injectors are much bigger than stock i tried running some random numbers i found online but the car is throwing black smoke so I'm assuming its running a lot richer than what it should be. here's what i know what comes on the car its the 4g63 with a tdo5 turbo hks BOV, intercooled and has uogarded injectors i dont know the exact size ill check when i pull it apart, sorry for the lack of proper information im a total noob to the dsm and tuning game. but if theres anything i can do or any info you can give me to look for would be much appreciated an ill break down the engine if i have to

okay i know for sure the injectors are much bigger than stock i tried running some random numbers i found online but the car is throwing black smoke so I'm assuming its running a lot richer than what it should be. here's what i know what comes on the car its the 4g63 with a tdo5 turbo hks BOV, intercooled and has uogarded injectors i dont know the exact size ill check when i pull it apart, sorry for the lack of proper information im a total noob to the dsm and tuning game. but if theres anything i can do or any info you can give me to look for would be much appreciated an ill break down the engine if i have to
Basically you did reset all setting. Now the AFC has the factory setting and the ECU is not reading the MAF sensor signal since the factory setting is not set as Karman sensor for DSM. That's the reason why the car is blowing a lot of black smoke and unstable. At least you have to set some parameters before driving and tuning the car.

Try as below, those 3 parameters are the minimum required that you have to set before starting the engine. After setting those 3 parameters, the car would run as "untuned" but probably better than now. And ready to adjust the Air/Fuel. Just do not boost the car until you tune properly.
Since you are not that familiar with this kind of thing, I recommend to find someone/some shop locally who is familiar with and ask to tune properly.
Anyways as @steve said above, read the manual and the links he put above. That would help you to understand and you can do it yourself.

1: Go to "Menu" -> "etc" -> "Model Select" and then select "V/T Off"
2: Go to "Menu" -> "etc" -> "Sensor Select" and then select "Karman"
3: Go to "Menu" -> "etc" -> "Car Select" and then select "Cly 4" "Thr ↗"

AFC Neo Manual:
http://www.apexi.co.jp/pdf/products/7107-0650-00.pdf

Basically you did reset all setting. Now the AFC has the factory setting and the ECU is not reading the MAF sensor signal since the factory setting is not set as Karman sensor for DSM. That's the reason why the car is blowing a lot of black smoke and unstable. At least you have to set some parameters before driving and tuning the car.

Try as below, those 3 parameters are the minimum required that you have to set before starting the engine. After setting those 3 parameters, the car would run as "untuned" but probably better than now. And ready to adjust the Air/Fuel. Just do not boost the car until you tune properly.
Since you are not that familiar with this kind of thing, I recommend to find someone/some shop locally who is familiar with and ask to tune properly.
Anyways as @steve said above, read the manual and the links he put above. That would help you to understand and you can do it yourself.

1: Go to "Menu" -> "etc" -> "Model Select" and then select "V/T Off"
2: Go to "Menu" -> "etc" -> "Sensor Select" and then select "Karman"
3: Go to "Menu" -> "etc" -> "Car Select" and then select "Cly 4" "Thr ↗"

AFC Neo Manual:
http://www.apexi.co.jp/pdf/products/7107-0650-00.pdf
thank you so much this really helped to reset it i have a shop I'm towing my car to this week just needed to get it runnable so i could load it onto the trailer really appreciate it.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back