The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

Apexi N1 or HKS Hi-Pwr

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GSXTom

Probationary Member
Nov 29, 2008
Little Rock, Arkansas
I just ordered my apexi gt spec downpipe earlier this week and was wondering what catback i should get seein as i don't want to run open downpipe forever.:hellyeah:

I have two questions before i go to order it.

1) will the dif in the pipe diameter from hks(75mm) to the apexi downpipe(80mm) effect the bolt on ability of the catback?

2) the apexi dwnpipe says it will elimate the cat on raceinspired's website, but since the catback i am looking at is made by hks, will there be a dif. in length, in other words will it come up short or be too long?

I can go either way with this one, but if the apexi catback will save me a lot of time. blood, sweat and tears then that is what i will go with.

i appreciate it guys

-Tom
1995 Eclipse GSX

Either one would be just fine. If the hks is a catback piece it will bolt to to the apexi dp, remember that the downpipe will delete the dp and the hks goes on from there.
The difference in piping diameter from 75mm to 80mm isn't much and the difference won't be noticeable. Just make sure you tighten it all up good.

Either one would be just fine. If the hks is a catback piece it will bolt to to the apexi dp, remember that the downpipe will delete the dp and the hks goes on from there.
The difference in piping diameter from 75mm to 80mm isn't much and the difference won't be noticeable. Just make sure you tighten it all up good.
raceinspireds website says:

"Product Notes: 60mm-80mm. The diameter is 80m for the side connecting to the exhaust and 60mm for the side connecting to the turbo. This downpipe will eliminate the need for the catalytic converter."

this means that it is long enough to be able to compensate for the length of the cat as well as the downpipe, correct? that way i can bolt up the hks cb to it and have no probs...at least thats what i've gotten from this...

NO, the hks catback will not bolt on to the apexi downpipe...The apex catback comes with a 6 inch adapter (65mm-80mm) that goes between the stock catalytic converter and the apex catback. When you buy the apex downpipe to bolt it on, the apapter is removed there for giving you 80mm throughout... So, if you buy the hks catback you will have to cut off around 6 inches if of it and your piping will go from 60mm (apex downpipe entrance) to 80 mm (apex downpipe exit) back down to 60mm (hks catback entrance) then to 75mm (hks catback exit) so itll be... 60mm-80mm-60mm-75mm

If you go with the apex catback your system will be a 100% bolt on. Not only is that it but your piping will look like this... 60mm (apex downpipe entrance) to 80 (apex downpipe exit) then to 80 (apex catback entrance) and 80(apex catback exit) so itll be... 60mm-80mm all the way through...

Just to let you know I am speaking from experience. Hope that helps

When i bought my 95 gst it already had the HI-Power on it. It has a super throaty sound to it. I installed BC 280 cams and between the two, it sounds sssseexxxyy!

NO, the hks catback will not bolt on to the apexi downpipe...The apex catback comes with a 6 inch adapter (65mm-80mm) that goes between the stock catalytic converter and the apex catback. When you buy the apex downpipe to bolt it on, the apapter is removed there for giving you 80mm throughout... So, if you buy the hks catback you will have to cut off around 6 inches if of it and your piping will go from 60mm (apex downpipe entrance) to 80 mm (apex downpipe exit) back down to 60mm (hks catback entrance) then to 75mm (hks catback exit) so itll be... 60mm-80mm-60mm-75mm

If you go with the apex catback your system will be a 100% bolt on. Not only is that it but your piping will look like this... 60mm (apex downpipe entrance) to 80 (apex downpipe exit) then to 80 (apex catback entrance) and 80(apex catback exit) so itll be... 60mm-80mm all the way through...

Just to let you know I am speaking from experience. Hope that helps
i'm not ordering the apexi catback, just the apexi gt spec downpipe which does not come with an adapter bc it doesn't run a cat behind it, i was just wondering if 80mm-75mm would work w/o any fab, either way i'm gonna be runnin open downpipe for a while now anyway w/ no cat...less back pressure the better! :D

if the dp is a cat eliminator then it will be long enough to compensate for the length of the cat. which means no cat back will bolt up, if you want a bolt on the buy the set up from the same company, but from my experience it is well worth the money to just have a local muffler shop put it in for you. it should be less then 20 bucks and 15min.

I say buy the muffler you like and go to your local exhaust shop and have them put together a mandrel 3" system for half the price!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back