The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Anyone use a chill can with water injection?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

truwarrior

20+ Year Contributor
Dec 19, 2002
I was wondering if anyone tried using a chill can with water injection in an attempt to get the air intake temps lower after the intercooler?

Thankn you.

A proper sized nozzle water nozzle after the intercooler is all that's needed to get sub-ambient tems with pure water, considering your profile. Water does not like to break apart. The droplets are larger than other liquids injected. Several small nozzles can be used to achive better cooling. But from my personal experience, a nozzle 20% the flow of your peak fuel demand (sum of your injectors X %IDC) will cause your intake manifold to be COLD to the touch after a hard run with moderate boost levels and sub-400hp airflow.

Meth injection is a different animal. It does a better job cooling the aircharge but does not provide higher effective octane in the combustion chamber that water can yield. Once you run enough meth to raise the octane, you realize that you need even more meth because meth will detonate if not run a bit below it's stoich mixture which is MUCH more than gasoline. Or even e-85. So you need LOTS of meth. Like a 3-4 times larger nozzle than water injection. But then you benefit from even COLDER aircharge AND higher octane.

Water has not enough time to cool +48 lbs/min airflow very well, from my experience. You still get octane increase in the combustion chamber. Just not the denser aircharge that meth would provide at this level of airflow. Many run the best of both worlds, 50/50 meth and water. The ideal nozzle size for this seams to be 2.5-3 times the ideal size for pure water.

Chilling the water used for injection will have little effect. Most of the cooling from water injection comes from the latent heat of vaporization of the water, not the sensible heat from the temperature of the water.

The latent heat of vaporization for water is 1050 BTU/lb.
The sensible heat for water is 1 BTU/lb/degree F.

Vaporizing one pound of water will remove 1050 BTUs from the air stream.
Chilling one pound of water to 32 degrees F and having it raised to 72 degrees by the air stream will remove only 40 BTUs from the air stream.

With the above conditions using ice water for injection will add less than 4% cooling.

As dsm-monster says, use small nozzles. Small nozzles will provide better atomization, leading to more vaporization. If water doesn't vaporize, there will be little cooling.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys. I use -20 degree or windows washer fluid. Seems to work fine for me and it's easy to attain. I'm also useing a smaller m3 nozzle located and the lower end of the the upper intercooler pipeing. Was hopeing to achieve "winter like performance" in the summer LOL Thanks again for the input before making the leap. :sneaky:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back