The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support ExtremePSI

Anyone run different size front tires to back?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Car Cannibal

20+ Year Contributor
Jun 7, 2003
Chicago, Illinois
I was wondering if anyone has done this as I did alittle math and it works out that 245/45/16 (24.68) and 215/50/16 (24.46) are within .22 of each other in height. These are slightly smaller than the stock height at 24.87 and that tiny amount should not hurt the drive train.

Anyone run different sizes from front to back?

225/45/17 and 255/40/17 are the closest combo but 255 would stick out alittle so its out of the question.

If the tire is almost identical in height to each other, then the VC will not be effected just like if all the tires were 225 all around. .22 of an inch in height is like a pair of fronts with more miles on it than the rears.
This is common as often most tire changes are not always all 4 at once.

I think that big fronts like silly sticking out and I want to fill up the rear wheel well so all the combos did not fit this for me. But, the above did so I was just wondering if anyones done it.

I've run 225/50-16 kumhos up front on stock rims (825 rev per mile) with 245/50-16 w/ 16x8 on the rear (836 rev/mile) at various times with no harm nor weird handling problems. A good bet for comparing tires instead of doing the math is using tireracks sight - it shows manufacturers actual revolutions per mile for every tire - just pick tires that are with in a few rev's per mile and you'll be ok. Doing the math doesn't work sometimes cause despite the standard sizing it still varies from manufacturer to manufacturer ie a 245/45-16 from kumho has a different circumference than the a sumitomo or yokohama.

The 245's fill up the rear nicely too by the way.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back