The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support ExtremePSI

Anyone moving to Windows Vista yet?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wolf20043 said:
Best bet would be to wait until they finish working out the bugs, (...)

They will never finish working out the bugs. Several years from now, after Vista's replacement is hogging the market, they will simply just stop supporting it.

I have not used Vista, or even seen it running, but from my past experiences with Microsoft, I will continue to use XP until most softwares require Vista. I used msdos 5 until probably 1999, when I was forced (by the market) to switch to Win95. After XP was released, I got 98SE, and maybe two years ago started using XP.

I have Fedora Core 4 (RedHat) on another older machine, (500mhz K6-2, 384m RAM, Geforce 5500) dual booting to 98SE. It's day to day usability is about as easy as any machine with KDE (KDE is where it's at) but overall compatibility can become frustrating.

All in all, I am happy with my mildly hacked XP SP2. ("features" suck)

Chris, check out the Obsidian v2 theme, if you haven't already. Smooth, is all I have to say about that.

Chris, check out the Obsidian v2 theme, if you haven't already. Smooth, is all I have to say about that.

It's what I'm running ;) Login sounds are awesome!.
'3...2...1... Access granted.' w/ the semi-transparent overlay on the rightside corner. =D

I think soon, I'm going to design my own complete theme, not sure yet, I need to come up with an idea first ;X

Thats good stuff. Its nice with the multimonitor support too.

Obsidian has "sub-themes". Dragon is one, I dont remember the name of the other one. They are pretty sick. I haven't used LS for a little bit. It gave me some issues with some games. (Doom3, at the time, I think) I found myself switching shells frequently, and when I reformatted, I never put LS back on.

Maybe if they have better cores now? I did love it for the long while I used it.

Well, there's always ubuntu

Not sure if I can add much to your comments but let me ++ the Ubuntu suggestion for anyone who would like to try Linux out. I personally use Gentoo, but I would recommend Ubuntu over Fedora (the non commercial Red Hat) or Mandriva (Haven't touched it since it was Mandrake 10). The Ubuntu organization seems to be really trying hard to make Linux accessible and easily usable for people who want to try Linux but don't want to have to deal with the shell (command line) for anything.

They have a few different flavors depending on what upgrade/support cycle you're interested in. The newest version 7.04 FeistyFawn (Yeah the names are weird, the devs are hippies) is scheduled for release on the 19th. Ubuntuforums.org is a huge forum full of how tos and support, much like Tuners is to the DSM community. It's a HUGE help a lot of times.

What most users might be interested in is that all Ubuntu desktop CDs are automatically Live CDs, meaning you pop the CD and the OS loads into memory so you can try it out without having to install it and risk wiping out your Windows install. Then, if you decide you want to install Ubuntu you simply click the "Install" icon on the desktop and go through the wizard. It has options to resize your Windows partition so you can have a computer that will give you the option of whether to boot into Windows or Ubuntu on startup.

The whole attitude of Ubuntu, its live CD, and the way it takes care to not eff with your system is why I even ventured into trying such a scary, new, unexplored area. I've put it on one of my old laptops as a dual-boot, and even during boot-up I like the way it behaves with consideration, instead of the MS method of "This is IT and you will LIKE it." I've still not fiddled with it enough to know if I'll be moving to it, but I am very seriously looking into it.

Sometime in the future I *Might* consider Vista. However, XP is good2go right now. The only reason I see going to Vista would be for the DX10 support in future games (I.E > Crysis). Supposedly XP will not support DX10 so the only way to get the *enhanced* graphics that DX10 provides is move to Vista. I would have to build a new rig from the ground up with a PCI-X video card. I've heard that CPU utilization with no applications open at Idle is something like 10% !!!! That's crazy, if so..

I run Dual-Boot on all three of my systems. Running Dual boot Win98/Knoppix on Lappy, Main rig has XP/SUSE 10, and my side rig runs XP/Kanotix.

Here's my Knoppix system with the 08 Scirocco desktop!
ftp://upload.comcast.net/nux/kanowork.png

Vista is for people who like eye-candy. Way too new to even consider having at this point. I love my tweaked version of XP SP2 Corporate. I'm a seeder/leecher so I re-format everything every 2 months. It's the only way to keep things runnin fast and efficient.

Vista isnt as bad of a resource hog as it appears.

It will load just about everything into ram that it can, which under Task Manager will show very low availible physical memory.

The OS Kernal is way better then XP. Grab some technet issues and read about it.

There are 2 reasons I dont run it on my laptop.
The sound drivers crash my laptop, and my wideband loging software will crash it under Vista.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back