The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

anyone made this work?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I actually agree with the guy for the most part. The thing is that we all have a slightly different opinion his isn't right or wrong. This isn't really a technical thread where precise info is key, it is just one more of the dead end threads that should of never been started if the original poster would of just done a little research. There are so many today that can't even begin to help themselves in any way and they expect guys to waste their time answering things that have been answered a thousand times on this forum. It takes away from the good aspects of this forum which is actually getting to help with people who want to learn, who want to take advice and in my opinion truly deserve good advice because of this.

And he voiced his opinion. He didn't need to keep pounding it in like it was the law. So the guy wants to mod his n/t. Let him do it the way he wants. Don't sit there and tell him he is wrong because that's how he wants to do things. Give useful advice and move on. Nothing more, nothing less.

And for the record, when I got into dsms, there was no such thing as maft or dsmlink for a 1g. I successfully tuned with a safc and using mmcd on a palm as a logging device. I never had the first problem doing so. Car ran 12's all day with a b16g and was completely reliable. And honestly, I wouldn't have a problem doing it again either. Just because it's old doesn't mean it doesn't work just fine. Too many people have gotten into the game and think if it isn't dsmlink or ecmlink, it's not the proper way to do it. That's where misinformation comes from.

And he voiced his opinion. He didn't need to keep pounding it in like it was the law. So the guy wants to mod his n/t. Let him do it the way he wants. Don't sit there and tell him he is wrong because that's how he wants to do things. Give useful advice and move on. Nothing more, nothing less.

And for the record, when I got into dsms, there was no such thing as maft or dsmlink for a 1g. I successfully tuned with a safc and using mmcd on a palm as a logging device. I never had the first problem doing so. Car ran 12's all day with a b16g and was completely reliable. And honestly, I wouldn't have a problem doing it again either. Just because it's old doesn't mean it doesn't work just fine. Too many people have gotten into the game and think if it isn't dsmlink or ecmlink, it's not the proper way to do it. That's where misinformation comes from.

I started with safc but quickly moved to burning my own chips after finding out how much better it was. A lot of us have been there, but that is what makes alot of us warn people of the problems with piggybacks. As far as working just fine, it all depends on what you are doing. You can't tell me that you won't run into knock problems from excessive timing from using a piggyback.

I started with safc but quickly moved to burning my own chips after finding out how much better it was. A lot of us have been there, but that is what makes alot of us warn people of the problems with piggybacks. As far as working just fine, it all depends on what you are doing. You can't tell me that you won't run into knock problems from excessive timing from using a piggyback.

Actually, I really didn't. 3-5 counts was worst I dealt with. I didn't run excessive boost though. And I had a fmic to keep charge temps low. I eventually went to chipped eprom but kept the afc to fine tune with. It was more convenient to adjust on the fly than to pull out the laptop with link. I did eventually move over to link bit honestly never saw any gains from it. Imho, if you learn to tune from the bottom and work your way up, it helps you be a better tuner all together.

Ok guys let me clear up why I posted this in the first place. I had spent weeks reading and searching both hear and on the net about using a vafc on a non honda car. Some posts say you can others say you can't most led to no where. I read in two places on this forum where guys said they have done it but didn't say how or even what set up they were running. So I decided against my better judgement to ask the question here, simply has anyone made this work. No, not possible, or no one has any experience with apexi, or at least enough of it, to give me any good advice. Just like always I'm told either convert to turbo or crush my car and buy a turbo one. I realized very quickly that this is a turbo only community shortly after getting my NT. I have read countless threads telling people na can't make power and na is a waste of money and if you don't conform to our build path then your not welcome. Now I remember why I stopped coming to this site. Maybe you guys should take your "advice" into perspective. Why buy a turbo dsm? Sell it and get an evo, why get an evo? Sell it and get a GTR. Why get a gtr? Sell and get a 911. Why buy a 911 sell it and get a dam veyron. Silly me I thought dsm ment built not bought IMO your all full of crap. This forum is a poor excuse for a community. 89-99 all had na options and are part of the dsm community your philosophy of turbo is the only way excommunicats a huge part of this. Why don't you just stop and say how can I actually help here.... hmm don't know enough about it to help.... I'll go read and post on something else. Before sitting up on your high horse and giving me this whole run arround about buying something esle cause you know what's best for everyone regardless of budget or build. You don't know me or my situation in life so stop taking a dump on my build. This is my passion and I'll persue it any way I choose. I may not have your budget and I'm not in your situation but that doesn't mean your more passionate than me and it certainly doesn't make you better then me. We all joined this forum for the love of DSM not because we only like turbos and only ecmlink and only follow a certain build path because its the only way to ever build a 4g63. Get clue the world of cars is a lot bigger than your little box we all can't fit into.
Now pleas explain to me how tuning an NA engine does nothing, how and why it's impossible to make more power than stock on an NA engine, and then explain how the talon esi SE made 160 hp on an NA 7 bolt with only turbo cams and a 2g maf . Dude go stare at an s2000 motor for awhile and figure out how it puts 180whp with a 2.2.
Finally I'd like to thank the only two guys who have ever stuck up for me or my build on this forum and for your useable advice. Hey I might just go wire in the VAFC and see if my idea of 0in0out works before I sell it.

Last edited:
Maybe it gives him a chance to figure out tuning procedure before going turbo. Learning on a non turbo is a lot safer than on turbo. Makes perfect sense to me.

Exactly, I'm not going to be the guy who throws a bunch of parts on in one day, and then expect it to run perfect the next.

It takes time to get a good understanding of what exactly your doing when you tune a car, and I've only recently opened that door.

if you learn to tune from the bottom and work your way up, it helps you be a better tuner all together.

:thumb: This is just me, but I'd feel much more comfortable tuning my car when it's turbo if I've already learned how to make adjustments while it's non turbo.

Why bother installing the parts unless you have everything you need to do the full conversion? It makes zero sense.

Because I like walking out to my car & seeing the work that I did myself.

My 1g is the first car I can honestly say I know inside and out, I like seeing the difference when I fix something or add something in.

If I was putting on 1500cc injectors, drag radials, and a roll cage in a car I planned on keeping n/t than I could probably see where your coming from.

I'm not putting anything in the car that's bad for it, and I'm not putting anything In that won't be of use when I complete the turbo swap.

& you should try to come up with new signature, because I purposely bought my 1g, fully aware that it wasn't turbo.

============================================================================================

OP - I understand your frustration, but despite what you may think this is not a "turbo only" community.

We are a performance based community,and the truth of the matter is that n/t 4g63's don't have a lot of potential for power, because that's not what it was made for.

Now granted you could spend a lot of money to bump up the compression, run race fuel or e85, and try to get the engine to suck in as much air as it possibly can naturally. But why? Why do that when eventually there will be a point to where naturally, the engine just can't make any more power, it can't suck in any more air.

That's why there is a push on us n/t guys to go turbo, or to buy a turbo dsm, because It is 50x more cost effective, and the n/t engine isn't designed to make power.

Some people just want to go fast, they don't care how it happens, they just want to go fast. These kind of people are the people on this forum that spit out "scrap that, buy this, buy that, just buy a turbo dsm."

These kind of people are the one that hop from one platform to the other, searching for something to go fast in without having to worry about working on it, or knowing anything about it...

Others want to learn, they want to have an understanding of what exactly they are doing, and what affects it will have, they want to know their cars inside and out, top to bottom, front to back. They want to constantly grow their knowledge, and share what they know with others who may not know.

These are the people that bring the dsm community together.

I've looked at a few other non-honda forums, regarding use of a VAFC... It seems it is just a SAFC with a RPM trigger channel for the VTEC, I saw a few people talking about using that as an aux channel for other things, (Nitrous, methanol, etc)

I still wouldn't use something that's specifically designed for VTEC engines, on a non VTEC engine.

That should close this thread up. Good day everyone.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back