The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support ExtremePSI

anyone made this work?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wow thanks for supporting the budget build dude. Link is way outta my budget. Had I baught that I would have a non running car with out any mods and a nice computer. Safc will suffice. I don't have thousands into my build hell I don't even have a thousand into it. Not everyone can do things the way you or others think they should be done. I love my car and modding but I have to do things differently because of my finances. You got no need to bag on me for trying to pursue my passion with in my means and my own way. Sorry if my budget sickens you but there's no need for disrespect.

Wow thanks for supporting the budget build dude. Link is way outta my budget. Had I baught that I would have a non running car with out any mods and a nice computer. Safc will suffice. I don't have thousands into my build hell I don't even have a thousand into it. Not everyone can do things the way you or others think they should be done. I love my car and modding but I have to do things differently because of my finances. You got no need to bag on me for trying to pursue my passion with in my means and my own way. Sorry if my budget sickens you but there's no need for disrespect.

It's more of a we have been there, done that and found out how awful piggybacks are for tuning. You could find an old v2 dsmlink for like 150-200 dollars, or just go with a burned eprom chip, or a moates ostrich and tunerpro. There are many options. This is one of those things that you have to pay to play. The single most important aspect of a performance car is the engine managment. Skimping on that puts everything else at risk.

It's more of a we have been there, done that and found out how awful piggybacks are for tuning. You could find an old v2 dsmlink for like 150-200 dollars, or just go with a burned eprom chip, or a moates ostrich and tunerpro. There are many options. This is one of those things that you have to pay to play. The single most important aspect of a performance car is the engine managment. Skimping on that puts everything else at risk.

You know how I know their right? Because at first I too was scared of by tuning a ecu wow! But we have all been there, how else do you think we learned? We made mistakes and we would like to help you, so you don't have to make the same mistakes we made. Your going to pay twice for rushing, believe me if not more. And if you can't buy it yet then wait.put the car back and don't force things. I know it's not what you want to hear but we are not hear for that, you'll thank us one day.

Thank you to all who actually want to help and guide me down the right path. You really have to understand how hard it is to swallow the idea of scrapping the last two years of penny pinching and planing and "modding"( mostly replacing bad parts with junkyard upgrades as well as trading labor for parts i couldnt )

Is it really that bad to tune an NA 4g63 with a safc?

I'll ask...

What exactly are you trying to "tune" on the NA engine with an AFC?

I will agree, there are much better tuning tools out here today. But the part everyone is forgetting is that the old school piggy back systems (afc, vpc, etc) propelled dsms to record time slips reliably long before there was dsmlink, chipped eproms, etc. Just because it is old technology doesn't mean it doesn't work or that it is junk.

Thank you to all who actually want to help and guide me down the right path. You really have to understand how hard it is to swallow the idea of scrapping the last two years of penny pinching and planing and "modding"( mostly replacing bad parts with junkyard upgrades as well as trading labor for parts i couldnt )

Is it really that bad to tune an NA 4g63 with a safc?

No, it's not bad to use an SAFC on a N/A 63, but if your keeping the same injectors (240cc), and have no intent on going turbo, there really is no point in having one.

I ran one for a little over a year, and never really messed with it until I wired in stock 450's, which required me to lean out quite a bit with no turbo.

I have now ditched the SAFC and am set up using a MAFT to dial in the injectors. Works like a charm.

If you want some ideas on things you can do with a 1g n/t, check out my build thread: http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/dsm-build-journals/453148-94-eclipse.html

I DO understand what it's like having to scrap together money just to buy something small, and I think the majority of us understand what it's like to have to repair one thing after another.

That being said, if you take the time do things right the first time, the chances of you having to go back and fix yours(or others) mistakes get smaller.

No, it's not bad to use an SAFC on a N/A 63, but if your keeping the same injectors (240cc), and have no intent on going turbo, there really is no point in having one.

I ran one for a little over a year, and never really messed with it until I wired in stock 450's, which required me to lean out quite a bit with no turbo.

I have now ditched the SAFC and am set up using a MAFT to dial in the injectors. Works like a charm.

If you want some ideas on things you can do with a 1g n/t, check out my build thread: http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/dsm-build-journals/453148-94-eclipse.html

I DO understand what it's like having to scrap together money just to buy something small, and I think the majority of us understand what it's like to have to repair one thing after another.

That being said, if you take the time do things right the first time, the chances of you having to go back and fix yours(or others) mistakes get smaller.

I'm running 450cc injectors and a 2g maf this is all I'm trying to tune for. I also made my own intake and have a full exhaust system. The EGR is deleted along with the balance shafts. It has poly motor mounts, an external oil cooler, stage 1+ spec clutch and a short shifter. Thanks for tour input ita great to hear from another na guy ill be reading your build for sure

You think you'll max out a 1G N/T MAF and 240cc injectors on an NA engine setup? Really?

It's called preparation, at least on my part.

Honestly, put the stock stuff back in, it'll run better.
My car runs perfect with a GM MAF and 450cc injectors, it's actually a lot smoother than it was with the n/t MAF.

What's there to tune? It's NA.

Without significant modifications, there is no reason to expect that the factory programming won't be able to handle it. The only methods of tuning that slapping that stuff on an NT teaches are ones that shouldn't be attempted on a turbo car, or are the least-desireable methods. Tuning with only the MAFT or SAFC is dinosaur-style, and far riskier IMO.

What's there to tune? It's NA.

Without significant modifications, there is no reason to expect that the factory programming won't be able to handle it. The only methods of tuning that slapping that stuff on an NT teaches are ones that shouldn't be attempted on a turbo car, or are the least-desireable methods. Tuning with only the MAFT or SAFC is dinosaur-style, and far riskier IMO.

Don't you have nothing better to do than just argue about what someone else does? If it doesn't apply to you and you have nothing useful to say, don't say anything at all.

Sorry, not everybody should get a trophy. Running a 2G MAF and 450cc injectors on an NA motor is pointless, and 99% of the people stuck with NT dsms will NEVER convert, because they waste money on modding the NT first. Advocating a SAFC to make it work is silly, because it's money wasted.

Sorry, not everybody should get a trophy. Running a 2G MAF and 450cc injectors on an NA motor is pointless, and 99% of the people stuck with NT dsms will NEVER convert, because they waste money on modding the NT first. Advocating a SAFC to make it work is silly, because it's money wasted.

Still nothing useful at all. Only you going on about the op not doing things the way you want him to.

Lol. Saying you're going to convert your NA DSM to turbo is like saying you bought a skirt, but plan to turn it into pants...but until that point you'll waste money on matching blouses.

Buy all the stock stuff FIRST, convert the car, max out the factory ecu, and THEN buy tuning gear.

I have no intention of helping the OP find a way to make a VAFC work on his car, since it won't. I also have no plans to agree with the purchase of a SAFC to tune mismatched equipment on a stock NA car when it's cheaper to get the stock stuff. Any advice other than that is a disservice, IMO.

Lol. Saying you're going to convert your NA DSM to turbo is like saying you bought a skirt, but plan to turn it into pants...but until that point you'll waste money on matching blouses.

Buy all the stock stuff FIRST, convert the car, max out the factory ecu, and THEN buy tuning gear.

I have no intention of helping the OP find a way to make a VAFC work on his car, since it won't. I also have no plans to agree with the purchase of a SAFC to tune mismatched equipment on a stock NA car when it's cheaper to get the stock stuff. Any advice other than that is a disservice, IMO.

Well then, why are you even commenting in the thread then? You don't agree, you don't condone it, and you don't like it. We have already established that. So if you have nothing useful to add, find your way out.

Well then, why are you even commenting in the thread then? You don't agree, you don't condone it, and you don't like it. We have already established that. So if you have nothing useful to add, find your way out.

I actually agree with the guy for the most part. The thing is that we all have a slightly different opinion his isn't right or wrong. This isn't really a technical thread where precise info is key, it is just one more of the dead end threads that should of never been started if the original poster would of just done a little research. There are so many today that can't even begin to help themselves in any way and they expect guys to waste their time answering things that have been answered a thousand times on this forum. It takes away from the good aspects of this forum which is actually getting to help with people who want to learn, who want to take advice and in my opinion truly deserve good advice because of this.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back