The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Anyone know what this is in my computer?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rlacasse1

10+ Year Contributor
Jan 6, 2009
Scott AFB, Illinois
OK, so I pretty much suck when it comes to computers. I don't know how to do shit on them or what their parts are called. However, I am good with my hands so when my power jack took a shit I figured I would replace it myself. And I had no problem doing that. All went well. But............ I am apparently missing the piece that is circled in red on the attached picture. I know it has something to do with the screen I just don't know what it does or what it is called.

This is on a Toshiba L505 laptop. It goes under the same cover as the memory on the bottom of the computer.

If anyone has the same laptop and can get the part number or name of it for me then please do that. I really need to get this thing working before I get sent away (Military) so I can Skype my wife.

Thanks,
Ray

Attachments

• What's this.jpg
    What's this.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 69
Looks to be a wifi card.

Ok, yeah, it's a modem. I kept searching and stumbled across that.

Will it prevent the screen from turning on. Because on the other side of the board is the shit for the screen. Like all the wires going to the screen come from something on the opposite side and they appear to be all tied in together.

no, that card has nothing to do with the screen at all... all that does is enable wifi so you could have internet

Are you positive? Becuase it looks like it is all tied in together. Like the part that it plugs into is part of the thing that the screens cables plug into. LOL I ####ing suck with computers.

I mean I understand that it is for wi-fi. But can it still cause that?

Ok, it isn't the wi-fi card. According to this other site it is a "Modem" and is seperate from the "WiFi" card.

Here are two pics for reference.

So can the Modem cause that?

Attachments

• modem.jpg
    modem.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 61
  • wifi.jpg
    wifi.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
LOL, im actually certified to work on computers... (doesn't mean much anymore but there was a time when A+ cert meant a lot)

Yeah, if that is the wifi card then it has nothing to do with the screen, the way that the motherboard is set up, everything is so condensed it looks like it all ties in together, but in reality, its mainly just one really long path set up in a maze on the board.

It shouldn't be an issue at all, and if you lost that piece or never came with it, its fairly cheap to get one and just plug it in like the memory

EDIT AFTER PICTURES: If that is the modem card... then you should never need it, unless you are teleported back to the early 90s when the best you could get was 56k dial-up... otherwise, you will be fine... and if you do get teleported back, please tell me what some of the winning numbers are for the lottery and the Superbowl... i would like to make some money to afford my DSM addiction

wifi, modem, wwan - All get you online... Your getting no video/no post. Do you hear windows sounds at all? Any lights flashing? Dell's have no post/video diag codes.

The computer turns on and runs. But I just have nothing on the screen. It starts up and everything just fine from what I can tell.

I had the power light, the battery light and the charging light all on.

I did try turning the CAPS and NUMLOCK on and off and none of the lights were turning on for it.

Last edited:
do you have the ability to plug in a 2nd monitor or tv into it?

But im chris with a 96 GST Spyder... hmmm we have a conundrum here

Yes, test with an external monitor.

Hey, I'm Chris with a 96 GST Spyder.

Ok, I'll try to do that. But I doubt I have the ability?

And if the CAPS and NUMLOCK not working are related then what would cause that? Anyone know?

What was up with that last line Chris?

Guess I'll add that the computer worked perfect before I took it apart other than the power jack being messed up.

how much of the casing did you remove to swap out the power jack?

If the CAPS/NUM/SCROLL are not working then its not posting or locking up once in Windows.

The last line was for Zefal151, his sig. We have the same name and car!

I had to remove the keyboard and the entire top casing. The motherboard stayed on the lower casing.

The only thing the wifi card has to do with the LCD is the the wires likely run from the bottom side, through the keyboard opening and then are routed up the back or the sides of the LCD and up to the antenna. So, I agree. Not the culprit.

Did you remove the memory? Try re-seating it.
Try running the machine without the battery installed.

Otherwise, retrace your steps. Yep, it has to come open again.
Try iFixit: The free repair manual they might have a tutorial.

Well it works now. But I have no clue why. I put it back together again and it just started working.

Thanks for the help.

could have been a slightly loose connection, or slightly loose contacts that needed to be nudged a bit

Yay. Another thread to add to my submission for a PC related area of the forums.

That's a VGA input. Either back or side you should see something like a monitor pic next to a input for the vga cord.

Lol he already finished getting the laptop back up

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back