The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support STM Tuned

Anyone install an SR-S 3" catback on a 1G?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrevorS

10+ Year Contributor
Feb 10, 2009
Newark, Delaware
Reason I ask is I'm considering getting one for my '90 GSX, but am unclear what the actual pipe size is at the inlet to the short SR-S adapter. I asked the Ebay seller if it would mate properly with my 2.5" flanged cat and he said yes, it would fit the OE pipe. I explained the OE pipe was actually 2" and I'd replaced the down-pipe and cat with 2.5", and he again said it would fit. So, it would seem the adapter pipe works for everything from 2" to 2.5", which leaves me wondering just exactly what that inlet size really is? I'm inclined to think perhaps 2.25" in which case I'd be introducing a step reduction of 1/8" all around the pipe join interior.

Has anyone installed a 3" SR-S system on a 1G and can you tell me what that adapter inlet size actually is? (I'd also like to learn the total length of the tail muffler -- can to tip, thinking of replacing it.)

SRS CATBACK EXHAUST SYSTEM 89-94 ECLIPSE/TALON GSX | eBay

TIA -- Trevor

Reason I ask is I'm considering getting one for my '90 GSX, but am unclear what the actual pipe size is at the inlet to the short SR-S adapter. I asked the Ebay seller if it would mate properly with my 2.5" flanged cat and he said yes, it would fit the OE pipe. I explained the OE pipe was actually 2" and I'd replaced the down-pipe and cat with 2.5", and he again said it would fit. So, it would seem the adapter pipe works for everything from 2" to 2.5", which leaves me wondering just exactly what that inlet size really is? I'm inclined to think perhaps 2.25" in which case I'd be introducing a step reduction of 1/8" all around the pipe join interior.

Has anyone installed a 3" SR-S system on a 1G and can you tell me what that adapter inlet size actually is? (I'd also like to learn the total length of the tail muffler -- can to tip, thinking of replacing it.)

SRS CATBACK EXHAUST SYSTEM 89-94 ECLIPSE/TALON GSX | eBay

TIA -- Trevor

i have that exhaust it works fine its not all full 3 inch, however there are some bonds and welds that are 2.75 . the exhaust works fine, its laud like hell

i recomand you get a nice dual tip muffler cose the 4.5 inch its huge loooooool

Mines for a 2g and is 3" all the way the flange did not meet up well with my punishment downpipe its was 3 inches away and at the wrong angle, but otherwise its a great exhaust.

i have that exhaust it works fine its not all full 3 inch, however there are some bonds and welds that are 2.75 . the exhaust works fine, its laud like hell

i recomand you get a nice dual tip muffler cose the 4.5 inch its huge loooooool

Loud? Really? I listened to a few Youtube clips and was thinking it in the mild to moderate range.

SRS CatBack Full 3" Exhaust on Eclipse GSX - YouTube
SRS Cat Back Exhaust - 1998 Eclipse Spyder / 2g DSM - YouTube
Eclipse Sypder - SRS Exhuast FlyBy - YouTube

Sounds like I'd probably do some porting to it. Yeah, I measured my OE tip (2.5") and clearance from the fascia (.5") which gives just 3.75" from the centerline. The muffler would have to hang something like 1" lower to the ground. That's why I'm thinking of switching to an oval (maybe Hooker Aero Chamber). Would prefer to keep dual tips, but am having trouble identifying a dual exit tip with a 3" inlet :(.

just ask the seller to measure it for you.
I've done that, but I lack confidence in him being that specific. Was hoping somebody else could tell me.

Mines for a 2g and is 3" all the way the flange did not meet up well with my punishment downpipe its was 3 inches away and at the wrong angle, but otherwise its a great exhaust.
I made a review on DSMTalk ;)
Took a look on DSMtalk and found this thread with a '91 GSX.

1G AWD eBay catback - DSM Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum: DSMtalk.com

First video he talks about his fit and shows the installed pipes and they look different to me from the ones I pictured above. He says two inline resonators where the above shows one. His shows a layout that's like the Apexi, whereas the one above has a more radical crossover from the cat to the muffler.

======================LATER===================

OK, found your review! Looks like they have two designs, one like a dual resonator Apexi N1 and another single resonator design which crosses over with a separate pipe section. I gather the adapter inlet is 2.25", I got that right anyway -- but 6" short even with the adapter installed?

http://www.dsmtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=233548&highlight=ebay+catback+review

Last edited:
I've done that, but I lack confidence in him being that specific. Was hoping somebody else could tell me.
Follow up: Sure enough, he didn't respond.

Decided the best solution for the pipe size change is to make my own adapter -- 2.5" to 3". If I need additional length to make the SR-S work (Apexi version), I'll add it to the adapter. Paid for the SR-S this evening and after taking measurements, will order muffler and adapter parts from Summit.

Thanks for the help guys :)!

Loud? Really? I listened to a few Youtube clips and was thinking it in the mild to moderate range.

Sounds like I'd probably do some porting to it. Yeah, I measured my OE tip (2.5") and clearance from the fascia (.5") which gives just 3.75" from the centerline. The muffler would have to hang something like 1" lower to the ground. That's why I'm thinking of switching to an oval (maybe Hooker Aero Chamber). Would prefer to keep dual tips, but am having trouble identifying a dual exit tip with a 3" inlet :(.

I agree that the catback does sound pretty good and not too loud.

Everything Ive read states that the inlet is 2.5" and the rest is 3".

Vibrant performance offers 3" inlet, dual 3" outlet mufflers, in polished and "stealth" flat black. I have heard these are very quiet and very good quality.

All thats left to be said, post sound clips of the exhaust! (both before and after changing the muffler!)

Sounds like I'd probably do some porting to it.
My '89-'94 AWD Apexi style SR*S arrived today and I completely misunderstood the 2.75" weld observation. I was thinking there was weld debris inside narrowing the pipe, but what I see is that the intermediate pipe is 2.75" at least as far as the first resonator, but ends in 3" to meet the exhaust pipe.

OK, found your review! Looks like they've two designs, one like a dual resonator Apexi N1 and another single resonator design which crosses over with a separate pipe section. I gather the adapter inlet is 2.25", I got that right anyway -- but 6" short even with the adapter installed?
I expect your adapter opens at 2.25" because that's the pipe spec for the OE 2G. My 1G had 2" OE piping and the supplied SR*S adapter is exactly that -- 2". It's beautifully made, but I can't see using it with my 2.5" cat. So, I'll be making my own.

I agree that the catback does sound pretty good and not too loud.

Everything Ive read states that the inlet is 2.5" and the rest is 3".
Well, not according to the above 2G SR*S owner and my personal 1G SR*S measurements. Both are Apexi style so perhaps something's different with the three pipe crossover style, but kind of doubt it given it's the same company.

Vibrant performance offers 3" inlet, dual 3" outlet mufflers, in polished and "stealth" flat black. I have heard these are very quiet and very good quality.

All thats left to be said, post sound clips of the exhaust! (both before and after changing the muffler!)
I looked at the Vibrants and I liked their dual tip StreetPower models. Hunted up a few Youtube samples, but the sound didn't work for me. I'm currently thinking Hooker Aero Chamber!

The First video with the Red GSX, is my car.
It sounds perfect man.
I went 3" CX Racing Downpipe, 3" Yonaka Cat, then 3" SRS Catback. We had to modify the downpipe and weld the flanges on the Cat, but it turned out nicely and fits nice and snug, and sounds amazing. It sounds a bit different now, but at high RPM's under full boost it is not obnoxious at all, it feels like pure bass, like a subwoofer. Its super deep.

Cool :)!

I've a VRS downpipe and Magnaflow cat with flanges and would like to try the SR*S as is, but unlike the 2G, I've no rear fascia relief to accept the much larger than OE tip. From reading and viewing, I'm pretty sure the SR*S tip will be against the fascia when properly hung, and so I don't think that's going to work. Guess I'll find out when I trial fit it.

Jacked the car onto stands, removed my 2" OE catback, trial installed the SR*S catback, and took some photos. Turns out I need a 3-1/4" adapter from the cat to the SR*S, but the supplied adapter flange alignment appears correct. As expected, the exhaust tip is pressing hard against the rear fascia and with the forward two supports in position, the rearmost can't be installed. Unhappily, the rear most pipe doesn't position the muffler so the tip exits perpendicular to the rear, rather it's at an angle -- not what I had in mind :(! Guess I didn't do enough homework.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Just not comfortable with that angle!

Would this work with an Apex'i downpipe?
The downpipe has no effect on the muffler fit (given allowance for cat installation). The SR*S rear simply doesn't accommodate the 1Ga fascia (no tip relief). Yes, the length of the down pipe will effect the overall fitment, but you can see from the above photos what the impact is for me. I expected a problem fitting my 2.5" cat to the SR*S exhaust, but I'm caught on the exhaust tip angle. Given the Apexi design, I now realize the angle is par for the course, my fault in not recognizing it earlier.

My girlfreiend has this catback on her '90 AWD. The exhaust tip does not touch the rear bumper, although close, it does not touch. Also, these exhausts all exit at a hard angle. I suppose it is the craze these days. One day I'll hack the muffler off and re-weld it back on coming straight out, or put a nice magnaflow in it's place.

Nothing a little hanger modification cant fix.

I was wondering if this catback would have any issues bolting up to an Apex'i downpipe. I heard of certain catback and downpipe combos need modifying to work.

Ordered a reducer to make the SR*S adapter replacement. Couldn't find a reasonably priced 2.75" 2 bolt universal flange, but with "porting", think I can make a 2.5" flange work (two spares from installing the cat). Also ordered a Hooker muffler and a couple 3" flanges (SS and mild steel), want to see what I can do to straighten the SR*S rear pipe at the dual hangers for use with the Hooker. Goal is a similar to OE appearance.

My girlfreiend has this catback on her '90 AWD. The exhaust tip does not touch the rear bumper, although close, it does not touch. Also, these exhausts all exit at a hard angle. I suppose it is the craze these days. One day I'll hack the muffler off and re-weld it back on coming straight out, or put a nice magnaflow in it's place.
Mine very definitely touches. I temporarily removed the protective tip cover to verify and it's touching, and that's without the rearmost hanger installed. It would be tighter against it if I forced that hanger into the rubber bushing.

Nothing a little hanger modification cant fix.
Just took a look and yes, the dual hanger has one bolt into the frame and the rearmost has two. About 1/2" worth of washers under them should work fine -- thanks for mentioning that :)!

I was wondering if this catback would have any issues bolting up to an Apex'i downpipe. I heard of certain catback and downpipe combos need modifying to work.
The SR*S is designed to mount directly to the back of the OE CAT. It includes an adapter to mate the cat exit pipe to the SR*S intermediate pipe. If you get an Apexi cat-delete DP, it's exit flange orientation and position should be the same as the cat exit flange. My Magnaflow cat is a little longer than the OE, and if I pull the cat-back as far forward as the hangers allow, the adapter will close the gap. So, you may need to fabricate your own adapter, don't know. Of course, you may want to do that anyway just to match up the pipe sizes.

One day I'll hack the muffler off and re-weld it back on coming straight out, or put a nice magnaflow in it's place.
That's what I'm thinking too. I measure the exit angle from the car center-line as 19 degrees. I'm thinking of cutting the pipe at the dual hangers at 10 degrees, squaring the removed piece to create a 10 degree wedge, and then TIG'ing the angles together followed by an SS flange for a straight rear exit. Unfortunately, I'm not a welder so I'll need assistance. Any idea how narrow a piece of pipe is OK for welding?

Yes, angled exit is intended to be this way and indeed seems to be the fad of the day. My Megan Racing is the same way and got more than one remark from fellow DSMers to be too ricey. On mine a hanger modification won't do much since the whole section starting somewhere around rear diff goes at an angle in relation to the rest of it.

That's what I'm thinking too. I measure the exit angle from the car center-line as 19 degrees. I'm thinking of cutting the pipe at the dual hangers at 10 degrees, squaring the removed piece to create a 10 degree wedge, and then TIG'ing the angles together followed by an SS flange for a straight rear exit. Unfortunately, I'm not a welder so I'll need assistance. Any idea how narrow a piece of pipe is OK for welding?

With a TIG you should be able to weld any size sliver you choose to put back for the pie wedge. These exhausts have fairly thick metal to start with, I'm guessing around 16ga, so there shouldn't be problems with amp control trying to fit a tiny piece back in.

Yes, angled exit is intended to be this way and indeed seems to be the fad of the day. My Megan Racing is the same way and got more than one remark from fellow DSMers to be too ricey. On mine a hanger modification won't do much since the whole section starting somewhere around rear diff goes at an angle in relation to the rest of it.
Thanks for weighing in, dude :)! I recognize the reduced final bend probably helps flow a little, but I also see that just a little more bend could have straightened the exit. Perhaps this is a minority perspective, but I just don't think this appearance best serves the car :(!
With a TIG you should be able to weld any size sliver you choose to put back for the pie wedge. These exhausts have fairly thick metal to start with, I'm guessing around 16ga, so there shouldn't be problems with amp control trying to fit a tiny piece back in.
Great, so I could probably go down as far as 1/8" and still have a TIG'able wedge. The problem is the larger the slice, the further back the muffler and tips are positioned. I want to minimize that rearward projection!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back