The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

anyone from winnipeg around here? or close

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

So, oddly, all 8 exhaust valve guides are loose in internal diameter. Granted their specified clearances start where intakes end but from what the shop tells me, theyre usable but outside what would be recommended. Kinda crazy they ended up like that after only 20-22 thousand km. All valves check out minty.
Thankfully guides arent that bad costwise but now its a complete valve job.. springs, guides, seals, labour. Now above $1k in work and parts. :barf:
Wife still supportive.
That is what makes me the most nervous..

brake boosting? nah, brah, brick boostin
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

*edit* now that I really think back, this being the second head, i really wonder if this one got new guides at all. i might be mistaking it for the first one which the first "machine shop" that did the work: bead blasted the entire head including deck surface and ovsrsprayed the cam journals, then proceeded to tell me it would seal fine, decked the surface to fix that and did so at an angle and cut a circle into it due to a bad cutter i guess, and then charged me for the fix.

never that place again, however, they did at least cut my crank correctly. that i had independently measured.

i went back through all my old rtm receipts and found new seals but no guides.

Last edited:
After deciding to follow your lead curt. I've decided to keep going forward.. 2.3 stroker over winter with the rebuilt transmission. Run the 20g with bigger injectors. Then the 750 cc.

I'm not looking for over 400 hp.

Don't blame me.

Looking back at some logs I took while trying to start it for the first time this year.. <200rpm and battery voltage dropped to under 10V. When it sounded like something suddenly worked against the starter (maybe a short, maybe a cell shitting) it dropped to under 7V.
I do think the battery is toast..

Don't blame me.

Looking back at some logs I took while trying to start it for the first time this year.. <200rpm and battery voltage dropped to under 10V. When it sounded like something suddenly worked against the starter (maybe a short, maybe a cell sh**ting) it dropped to under 7V.
I do think the battery is toast..

No you're kinda the motivation I need. In all honesty I'm using you as an example to push myself.

So I went back and looked at some logs from when I first started the car in May 2018 just to compare last year and this year and they're about equal in battery voltage and cranking rpm. Last year had better vacuum but it could be due to the stock exhaust valve this year..
Head is out still being looked over, haven't had any work really started on it.

I was hoping that there was something in the log that pointed to a culprit in 2019 but it's not looking great. I also thought it cranked faster last year.. this still might be a lost cause.

Maybe, MAYBE, able to take another shot at it this weekend.
New exhaust guides (still mostly in spec, some out, but on the loose end enough for uncomfortable feeli g), valve seats cut, valve seals all around, BC springs and Ti retainers, clean and a skim off the deck..
hopefully the last time i touch the head unless i find a set of cams cheap.

Last edited:
hey boys, i feel like i check this place every now and then but its more like every month or so haha. If anyone needs to get a hold of me 204 770 1455 is my number and if anyone needs a helping hand give me a shout! im mostly free during the week evenings.

So from one shop that started work before I officially gave the go ahead by way of getting a quote to the next that gave a quote and a time frame but by the end of it didn't even start.. ffs.

K so who here can save my ass. Trying to goto the cabin this weekend and I need the small bushing on the lower control arm to fix my sloppy control arm (brand new doorman 2016 btw...) PS dont buy doorman control arms .. unless you want to rebuild them every God dam year.

I'm about to make my own tbh cause you cannot find these anywhere.

List of things to fix on my car for shits n giggles

Driver side wheel bearing (already have a new one in a knuckle just gotta do it).
Weld the down pipe
Control arm bushing .
1 new tire due to control arm bushings
Driver side Door handle broke
Speedometer cable (I just have been using my phone for the last 3 years)
And that's all LOL

May be in the market for some 1ga power side mirrors. Anybody know if Alex is still kickin around?
I have his number can send it to you
Didnt know we could get those haha

Let the bidding commence. Jk haha

How's the talon?

Edit : sorry I thought you said power folding mirrors my bad.. there's a guy parting out a 1gb he might have power mirrors .

I gotta fix mine I have to push the button way to hard to get them to move on my laser

long shot but nobody has a 2g knock sensor i can test out, do they? oem part is discontinued and aftermarket is 200 bucks from rtm but i dont know if thats the problem or not.

I was up there this past weekend, you guys have some fun little roads a 16G car on E85 would be fun.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back