The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Anyone experienced with Venmo?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CrackedDSM

10+ Year Contributor
Dec 17, 2009
Pensacola, Florida
Hey, pretty short and sweet thread but I keep seeing more and more people want to use Venmo instead of PayPal. What’s the consensus of it? Do you guys have good experiences? Bad? Have you had to dispute anything? If so, how’d it go?

Figure it’d be good for everyone to know and hear both good or bad. Not just me.

I steer away from anything but PP. I see ads that are good deals but want that payment service. I won't do it. PP has protected me many times over various platforms. Something just seems strange that a seller WON'T accept PP. Others may disagree.
Just my .02 cents.

I steer away from anything but PP. I see ads that are good deals but want that payment service. I won't do it. PP has protected me many times over various platforms. Something just seems strange that a seller WON'T accept PP. Others may disagree.
Just my .02 cents.

I am heavily inclined to agree. I had a pretty compelling argument said to me that paypal charges taxes and other stuff on anything over $200, and Venmo doesn't. I had someone try to tell me that Paypal holds their payments for a few days until the item ships and Venmo doesn't but I legit have never experienced that except one time I didn't pay eBay their "sold item" dues(I thought they took it out automatically). So it's just all around sketchy. I was hoping I'd get some good reviews but the radio silence has me pretty convinced that it's BS.

PayPal might hold funds if the seller hasn’t received a payment in a long time, and they’re also supplying information on sellers to the IRS, but buyers need to draw the line. Scammers from Africa are extremely active in Facebook groups “selling” classic car parts and high-end watches, and their payment method of choice is Venmo/Zelle or other wire transfer methods. It’s just not secure and there is no recourse for people who have been scammed. If a seller won’t take PayPal goods & services, or a credit card over the phone, I walk away.

Just my .02 cents.
I dont have any new info to share on Venmo, just agree with you that Paypal has protected me quite a few times and in a way that was very surprising to me in the speed in which they launched an investigation and returned my money to me.

No protection on venmo... Paypals fees are for protection of both parties.

Once you Venmo or Zelle its gone for good...

That being said Ill venmo people I know and I do use it for in person transactions(I sell a killer pre-workout).

All platforms are now required to provide data to IRS my employees (personal trainers) like to have their clients pay venmo and got tax forms this year from them.

No protection on venmo... Paypals fees are for protection of both parties.

Once you Venmo or Zelle its gone for good...

That being said Ill venmo people I know and I do use it for in person transactions(I sell a killer pre-workout).

All platforms are now required to provide data to IRS my employees (personal trainers) like to have their clients pay venmo and got tax forms this year from them.

This is what I thought honestly. Had a couple buyers swear up and down Venmo offers some kind of protection, but I didn't think so.

Gonna walk away honestly from anything not PayPal.

we need something thats protected BUT also not as robbing as paypal! its a joke they keep upping fee's. I know they got things to pay out sure but they just as bad as ebay with making money from you.

if you know the person well you can bank transfer, PP is normally the given option for most though.

we need something thats protected BUT also not as robbing as paypal! its a joke they keep upping fee's. I know they got things to pay out sure but they just as bad as ebay with making money from you.

if you know the person well you can bank transfer, PP is normally the given option for most though.
Paypal is what... max 4 percent? Most credit card processing is close to 3.5 after pass through fees and everything else.

I lersonally dont think laypal is unreasonae for a protected transaction.....

That being said I still got scammed on Paypal when someone provided "proof" that I received something that never came

Really good discussion so far fellas. I did more digging and apparently if you tag a transaction through Venmo as "buying an item", it charges you 1.9% + $0.10 for the transaction and it's covered by them. If you don't receive the item, if its not as described, or whatever you just contact them and they investigate like paypal.

Still don't think I really wanna risk it on high dollar purchases. Might try it on some sub $100 stuff and see.

Really good discussion so far fellas. I did more digging and apparently if you tag a transaction through Venmo as "buying an item", it charges you 1.9% + $0.10 for the transaction and it's covered by them. If you don't receive the item, if its not as described, or whatever you just contact them and they investigate like paypal.

Still don't think I really wanna risk it on high dollar purchases. Might try it on some sub $100 stuff and see.
Not terrible.. but still too new for me to trust their process. Paypal is pretty established.

Once venmo starts seeing claims I bet that 1.9 goes up.

Paypal is what... max 4 percent? Most credit card processing is close to 3.5 after pass through fees and everything else.

I lersonally dont think laypal is unreasonae for a protected transaction.....

That being said I still got scammed on Paypal when someone provided "proof" that I received something that never came
its about 4.4% and the banks it depends on which one but it can be from 2.5% to 3.5% but you get special rates also, so it varies per bank and such

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back