The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

2G Anyone else think our interior sucks??

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pablobtown

Proven Member
Sep 16, 2013
Bloomington, Indiana
I absolutely love my DSM, I've had it for almost 2 years. But it is going to drive me completely insane! It has the worse interior I have ever seen in any car! My friends Saturn Ion makes less noise than these damn things! Is there anything to do about all the noises??? I have Dynamat everywhere (four layers in each door), and road noise isn't bad. I'm just talking about all the popping and ticking and clicking and cracking noises it makes from just thinking about it! I can't close my door without the cheap plastic door panels feeling like they're going rip right off, I worry my passengers are going to rip the interior door handle off when they open the door. The worse is driving the car. I have to play music moderately loud just to concentrate over the random ticking coming from the dash. The convertible top makes so much noise. It makes cracking noise ALL THE TIME, and the rest of the car, everything from my squeaky seat, to the little rubber seals on doors making that awful rubber noise any time I move forward. It's going to literally drive me insane! Any interior gods out there that can light my way before I'm forced to sell it?? All these issues seem to multiple when it gets cold. Everything contracts and the interior no longer fits quite right. Is there any car with a worse interior than a DSM??

Sounds like some of the interior clips may be broken. I have no noise coming from the interior in my dsm then again I do have 18" rims with zr tires and those make lots of noise.

I agree partially with what your saying, that the door handles are wimpy and that they could have a better way of fastening the door panels on. However I know for a fact that if you take the time to make sure all the clips and screws are tight it wont rattle. DSM just decided to use fastening methods that suck, like do many manufactures because they are cheap and can be concealed. What have you don't to try to stop these rattles?

Buy a 1g, much better build quality.

I agree 100 percent, 1g's are far superior to 2g's on interior quality. 2g's are absolute garbage as far as build quality on the interior. Probably one of the cheapest built interiors of any car i have ever came across. The door panels, console, seating position, dash, interior plastic thickness and so one is just real cheap in them. If your 2g interior doesn't creak and rattle than you likely are hard of hearing, LOL.

What do you expect the newest Dsm is 15 years old of course it's gonna rattle LOL.

They are mitsus. made in the 90s, not a high build quality from the factory. Add that in with age and mileage and you get the typical rattly dsm noises. These cars are not going to ride or feel like a lincoln/caddy. At least not without a tremendous amount of work and money. I DD one for about 1.5 years and put over 40k on it driving it for work. Looking back on it i have no idea how i handled the ride and the noise level but it's all subjective. These cars are great weekend warriors in my book.

The 2g I owned definitely had a different feel to its interior when compared with my 1g. Its like DSM put some thoughtful build quality intothe 1g and once they proved they could build something decent, they started cutting corners when designing the 2g.
Not saying the 1g is a Bentley or anything though. It squeaks and rattles too.
What I did for my old Laser, was took things apart piece by piece and replaced old or broken fasteners. I also glued down some soft rubber/foam strips. I got a roll of it at Ace I think. Its for light duty sealing on a home.
The biggest improvments came from redoing the back panels where the speakers and windows are.
I did all this little by little over my time owning the car. Something would rattle while I drove, I'd take note, turn up the music so I wouldn't have to listen to it, and fix it later on.

GL with the car. Don't sell it!

I know some fasteners are broken in the doors... my old self did that damage... Can you go to autozone and just buy some clips? But I remember before anyone had even taken the door panel off I thought my stock speaker was blown, turned out to be perfectly fine and it was just the door panel. So dynamat went in, and then more, and more. Then one more layer.

I might look into the rubber seal Kreez mentioned. I have double sided foam tape every single place where the plastic contacts. That took a lot of outside rattle away from the subwoofer. But now im just trying to get the rest of them figured out. The doors panels are going to be the death of me. Can you take them apart, like completely apart and redo them with rubber strips or something? I have the 'luxury' of leather interior. I hate it. Anyone in Indiana with a decent cloth interior (grey/black) ill trade. The leather door panels look nice but make noise when the leather and plastic move at all.

in my 98 gsx my interior was in great shape. door handles were all strong and panels werent loose. and my windows were tight not floppin around. but in my talon its a different story, i hear rattles constantly ant it drives me nuts. but thats dsm for ya. i hate the plastic clips on these cars they always break.

mine was always fine.. I mean really very quiet. Then I got prothane motor mounts and did a black interior swap (including the dash). Now it rattles. Never had a problem before I started messing with the car though. This is self-inflicted!

I absolutely love my DSM, I've had it for almost 2 years. But it is going to drive me completely insane! It has the worse interior I have ever seen in any car! My friends Saturn Ion makes less noise than these damn things! Is there anything to do about all the noises??? I have Dynamat everywhere (four layers in each door), and road noise isn't bad. I'm just talking about all the popping and ticking and clicking and cracking noises it makes from just thinking about it! I can't close my door without the cheap plastic door panels feeling like they're going rip right off, I worry my passengers are going to rip the interior door handle off when they open the door. The worse is driving the car. I have to play music moderately loud just to concentrate over the random ticking coming from the dash. The convertible top makes so much noise. It makes cracking noise ALL THE TIME, and the rest of the car, everything from my squeaky seat, to the little rubber seals on doors making that awful rubber noise any time I move forward. It's going to literally drive me insane! Any interior gods out there that can light my way before I'm forced to sell it?? All these issues seem to multiple when it gets cold. Everything contracts and the interior no longer fits quite right. Is there any car with a worse interior than a DSM??
Turn down your subwoofers! Haha thats the only time i hear rattles in my interior.

You said toy store orgy. Thats funny man. I've yet to find a reason to use those words in a sentence. My interior doesn't rattle a bit. My drivers side window is a little loose but thats it.

My old car rattled a good bit. This one hardly has any. The only noise I get is from stuff in the trunk knocking around. One thing you may do is glue little felt strips where plastic trim meets. They did this from the factory but most of it falls off.

i fell you my 4gen f-body was worse though I would like more suggestions to fix this because I already replaced all my clips and I still get noises and I don't got a radio
one suggestion remove the whole interior and maybe, put some self taps in to support it more make sure you don't go through you body though

Replace all broken clips,make sure all screws are tight. You got subs that doesn't help. The vibration from sub loosen things and screws over time. Last eclipse I had with system I had re tighten screws almost every month and half. Gutted my whole interior to change my color theme, never came across with a rattle,squeak,crack again after I removed the subs. For doors all clips must be good,have all screws make sure you moldinds, window motor and tracks not bent or loose. I never used dynomat. Personalky don't like it when you got to remove it to get to a peace you got to work on and over priced.[DOUBLEPOST=1413168828][/DOUBLEPOST]At least we don't got a rental car look of a dodge neon. There's a lot of model cars out there that look like 7 seven year old designed it. for seats swap the leather for oem or aftetmarket cloth seats.

Last edited:
Buying a 15-20 year old car and expecting it to ride like a mercedes? You do realize most DSMs these days have gone through several owners by now which means you probably had every interior panel torn apart at some point. I daily my 2g and ive learned that rattles are just its nature. (Even tho i have very few) Its a racecar not a mercedes and i love every bit of it.

I've got some "Sparco" seats coming in. Hopefully that'll eliminate the seats squeaks. I'd like to put the oem cloth door panels in. I feel like the crap leather sections rub against the plastic in the panels. Way ahead of you on felt.. oh good lord do I have felt glued down, I lined the whole center consol piece, and the little center console box lid and made it look pretty good there. You can't see it anywhere else. That did help A LOT, every time I would rest my knee on it and squeaked and made noises... like I said this thing is going to be the death of me someday trying to get the thing quiet...

The one I hope to conquer this week is my dash rattle. I've tried everything but removing it. It's got a ticking right it the dead center of it. I hope it's just some bolt. I'm going to attempt to completely remove it this week. I got a 4 hour drive this coming Friday.

Yeah I have one little 10 inch sub. Nothing insane, and I take my whole interior apart damn near every other week. I am not joking in the slightest. This is the first time I've come here for advice on it. I have done a lot and helped it out A LOT, it seriously was the loudest interior I have ever encountered. I'm the second owner of it and the first owner was an older guy who babied it and only put 33,000 on it. So it was completely 100% unmolested and noisy as all hell.

I'm going tomorrow to search around town for door clips and replace those. And hopefully get to the dash also.

Try driving a 3rd gen camaro, if rattles bother you, bet suicide crosses your mind in the first few hundred feet!
I have no rattles, only sound that I hear that bothers me is a slight air leak at around 70ish from my windows by the side mirrors. If I play a little with the seal, it goes away.

On freeways cruising 80, I hear something in the rear end, like a slow pulse rolling sound, but that's me probably over thinking things

For those who say you're rattle free, what year are your cars? The only two I've ever driven are both 96s my gst spyders and my friend gs spyder. Both pretty loud, but the top makes a bunch of cracking noises only in mine... any ideas on that?

The same friend that had his gs bought an fbody camero. The interior is also straight ass. But he has two 12" subs and glass packs. So you can't really hear any rattles... or even think.

98 gst but my 98 gs had rattles[DOUBLEPOST=1413235917][/DOUBLEPOST]My camaro had straight pipes, going over bumps slow you can still hear the noises, hitting potholes, ttops didn't help

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back