The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

Anyone else ever been screwed over?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jakelandry

10+ Year Contributor
Oct 13, 2009
Minden, Louisiana
Well today i was supposed to take a 5 hour trip to get my first gsx. Ive wanted one since i was a kid and after totaling my car i finally had enough money. Well i posted an ad on craigslist that i was looking for one and a guy responded and told me about his and everything. He claimed he had every receipt for everything ever done to it and that it had a clean carfax with 120k on it. Well it sounded good so my dad took off work to take me which surprised the hell out of me cause my dad thinks im a dumbass for wanting a car i love and that im willing to drive hours to get it. Anyway my dad took off and we were going to make a weekend out of it we were litterally getting into the truck to leave and the guy text me and said my bad the car actually has 150k on it... I was like how do you make a 30k mistake honestly! and i basically said well are you willing to drop the price and he said no and after like 30 minutes of wasting my parents time the guy just basically said eff off and now he wont text me. I was polite and everything. Well that was the 5th one ive tried to buy now and every time they drag everything out for 2 weeks then sell the car or tell me to eff off. Now my family is mad at me for wasting their time and i have no car, or the enthusiasm to find one. Anyone else ever been screwed over? Also sorry if this seems like a rant, i just really dont have any friends who understand cars or anyone who can relate to talk to.

Before saying to lower the price and him flipping out, should have just went and looked at it and if you liked it offered him a lower price but cash. Money talks and when its right in front of them, people tend to take it even if its lower than their asking. But that sucks man, hope your luck get a little better and you score a clean GSX.

Sounds like you avoided being screwed over. The problem is most of these cars are owned by young kids who have no idea how to do anything properly.

I understand you're pissed but think about the alternative. Better off that he text you as you were getting in the truck than if you had driven 3 or 5 hours and then found out. It might sound a bit stupid but if things don't work out then that car wasn't meant to be yours. Keep looking and don't settle for a beat-up 2g, one will come your way and when you go look at it you'll know thats your car. You've just got to be patient and not jump on the first 2g GSX you see.

:dsm:

Had a similiar thing happen back when I was 16. My parent's bought my tibby because I got screwed over by them (long story there) and I was going to buy a new one from the tibby forums off a well known member there. It was a well built tibby cranking out 486 whp (everything to prove it). The guy lived in Pennsylvania and with me being in South Dakota it wasn't exactly a go check out kind of thing. I paid the guy the $500 downpayment he wanted to hold the car, my dad and I bought our tickets to fly out so we could drive the car home. The DAY before we were scheduled to fly out the guy calls and decides the car is too fast for me and won't sell me the car. I talked to him all day about swapping a lower boost map on to keep the boost on etc etc and he wouldn't budge. Ended up canceling our tickets, hotel room, the works because of this asshole.

Karma ended up biting him in the ass though, 4 days later I saw on the board that he melted the #3 piston racing an evo, which destroyed the motor entirely which then led to him going backrupt (long story there too) because now he couldn't pay his bills with the money he was supposed to be getting from me by buying the car in the first place.

It seems like that kind of stuff happens all the time with these cars. It's hard to find a trustworthy seller. These cars sell so fast too if the price is right on them. If you find one you like, at least around here, you need to immediately call the seller, ask all your questions and if you even want a chance at getting it you need to literally ask them when they are available next and go get the car at that time, pretty much even if it is right at that moment. Which sucks.

I have an app on my phone that will notify me when stuff is listed on craigslist. A couple weeks ago I got a notification about a 96 TSi AWD that had been listed, decent mileage, decent looking car, reasonably clean, manual, stock, only thing was it had a spun bearing, so it needed a rebuild. Guy is asking $600. I hesitated for like an hour or two (got it when I woke up, so at this point it has only been listed for two, maybe three hours at the most), then texted him and asked some questions, decided I wanted it. This was on a Saturday. I told the guy I would leave right then with cash and bring a trailer and everything. He says "No someone is already on their way with $700 cash." WHAT?!

That kind of shit is frustrating, especially what happened to you. You just need to be patient and keep looking. Find a friend that will help you deal with car stuff, trying to deal with parents makes things too complicated.

It seems like that kind of stuff happens all the time with these cars. It's hard to find a trustworthy seller. These cars sell so fast too if the price is right on them. If you find one you like, at least around here, you need to immediately call the seller, ask all your questions and if you even want a chance at getting it you need to literally ask them when they are available next and go get the car at that time, pretty much even if it is right at that moment. Which sucks.

I have an app on my phone that will notify me when stuff is listed on craigslist. A couple weeks ago I got a notification about a 96 TSi AWD that had been listed, decent mileage, decent looking car, reasonably clean, manual, stock, only thing was it had a spun bearing, so it needed a rebuild. Guy is asking $600. I hesitated for like an hour or two (got it when I woke up, so at this point it has only been listed for two, maybe three hours at the most), then texted him and asked some questions, decided I wanted it. This was on a Saturday. I told the guy I would leave right then with cash and bring a trailer and everything. He says "No someone is already on their way with $700 cash." WHAT?!

That kind of shit is frustrating, especially what happened to you. You just need to be patient and keep looking. Find a friend that will help you deal with car stuff, trying to deal with parents makes things too complicated.

Was this the guy in minnesota?

Man im just glad more people understand. This guy actually contacted me and was nice as hell, he was older and claimed he got the car from a woman who had receipts for all the maintenance and everything. He seemed reliable till he told me it had an extra 30k on the motor. But i guess i really did dodge a bullet cause noone makes a 30k mistake, and if he lied about that then god knows what else he lied about. And these cars do go extremely fast. People just arent the same as they used to be.

Also wkmitsu whats the name of that app?

i dont know if it was someone on the this site but i went to meet someone an hour away to buy a 6bolt the guy stated the motor ran jus fine on the car when he totaled it.. that the only thing it would need is a cam gear.. ok.. we check the oil pan and it looks like they just cleaned it out so no proof of anything was wrong

next day open the motor and find a hole in the cylinder wall.. informed him about the problem and he says.. how dont i know you didnt switch the block and that you made the hole tryin to start it.. smh

lost 200 on that buy.. but we sold the head got 125 back

Was this the guy in minnesota?

Ha yeah Forest Lake, were you the one that got the car? You're the second person on here I've heard was dealing on that car on the same day.

Also wkmitsu whats the name of that app?

It's for android, it's just called "Craigslist Notification." Works pretty decent.

Last edited:
Ha yeah Forest Lake, were you the one that got the car? You're the second person on here I've heard was dealing on that car on the same day.

It's for android, it's just called "Craigslist Notification." Works pretty decent.

Nope, but I was going to call the guy and had another member on here talk to him I believe. Sketchy.

I found a 2003 Evo with only 62,000 miles on it that was tuned by AMS to look totally stock but was around 450 HP on 96 octane. The douche just said it was a buy back for 13,500 which I didn't think was bad because there was literally nothing wrong with the car. I test drove it and it hauled ass and had nothing weird with it. The ONLY issue with it was the carbon fiber on the rear wing had started to peel other than that everything was pretty much mint.

I drove 3 and a half hours there and was kind of annoyed because I had to move the next day like 2100 miles away to oregon (I lived in Illinois) and the guy didn't have the freakin title on him. His bank was willing fax it the next MORNING at SIX AM and my mom wouldn't wait. So I got screwed on having to have a car to drive so I had to get a 2000 civic EX for about 6 grand. But I got to recover the tire/motor warranty for practically everything it cost. So in the end it was only about 4500 dollars but still, to think you are getting a Evo and get a Civic is a real punch in the face... seriously.

I found a 2003 Evo with only 62,000 miles on it that was tuned by AMS to look totally stock but was around 450 HP on 96 octane. The douche just said it was a buy back for 13,500 which I didn't think was bad because there was literally nothing wrong with the car. I test drove it and it hauled ass and had nothing weird with it. The ONLY issue with it was the carbon fiber on the rear wing had started to peel other than that everything was pretty much mint.

I drove 3 and a half hours there and was kind of annoyed because I had to move the next day like 2100 miles away to oregon (I lived in Illinois) and the guy didn't have the freakin title on him. His bank was willing fax it the next MORNING at SIX AM and my mom wouldn't wait. So I got screwed on having to have a car to drive so I had to get a 2000 civic EX for about 6 grand. But I got to recover the tire/motor warranty for practically everything it cost. So in the end it was only about 4500 dollars but still, to think you are getting a Evo and get a Civic is a real punch in the face... seriously.

Holy shit that sucks...

so I had to get a 2000 civic EX for about 6 grand. But I got to recover the tire/motor warranty for practically everything it cost. So in the end it was only about 4500 dollars but still, to think you are getting a Evo and get a Civic is a real punch in the face... seriously.

dammm!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:ohdamn:

Yeah like others have said at least you didn't get it and find out that the "mechanic" that did the work screwed up big time and after you get it have to turn and spend even more on a new engine. Guy told me he had all gaskets and seals replaced that it was running great... 5 days later I learned the alternator was shot, the rod bearings where shot and beat the crank to death. 6700 for car 4500 for new engine, alternator new lifters, but got a 6 bolt swap with built lower half so yeah.

how about when someone screwed themself over by trying to screw us over...

someone selling MR rims with tires for 500 we get there for him to tell us 650 and that he also has much other evo parts that are hot that he needs gone.. well how about my buddy shows you his PD badge and we get the wheels for 250 hahahaha

500 would have been just fine.. we didnt have a problem but wen you want us to drive 1.5 hours at midnight for you to bs us ... well we will bs you!

I bought my 2g sight unseen from a nurse I used to work with. She promised it had always been dealer maintained. I figured she makes nurse wages, so why wouldn't she have it dealer maintained, right? RIGHT??? Wrong...

Bullsh*t. I pick the car up (weeks after paying for it), and the paint is faded, chipped, etc... The engine looks like it's been sitting in a wrecking yard getting rained on for the past 12 years, the radio doesn't work, there is no sun-roof after I was told there was, etc...

My favorite part was when the car would not get warm, and seemed to be getting 8mpg... Got it home and figured maybe the tstat was stuck open, or..? Yeah.. It was missing. Completely.

I really loved buying a DSM with 115K that had the original timing belt, too! :thumb:

Long story short... I will never buy another car without looking at it first. So much for trusting people, right?

Still - $2200 for a 115K 95 Talon TSi ain't too bad.

Bought my car, 1991 talon tsi awd, from a guy on Kijiji, the body had almost 300000 on it but he stated that the engine had been swapped and only 85000 km on it. Saw the car and I really like it, guy wanted 2500 for it and I offered 2000 for it and he took it, so I was happy about that, but stuff started to go wrong and I knew nothing about the car so I had to go to mechanics. Later I find out, after refusing to realize the truth after my buddy kept telling me, that the car was off by two teeth. So I went to the mechanic and got all the timing components replaced. After that mechanic calls me up and says your car won't start and that the valves are probably bent, i said eff that and went to the dealership and started the car my self (thermostat wiring was going bad hence the struggle to start). Long story short, I have but almost 8000 into the car, I live at home and can't do the work my self, and although I am not happy about it, I keep telling my parents that the car has done exactly what i bought it for, teach me about how car works and how to do the work (i spent lots of time with the mechanics understanding how they did everything) unfortunately the price was a little higher then expected.

It seems like that kind of stuff happens all the time with these cars. It's hard to find a trustworthy seller.

Bingo. The ratio of honest, mature, reliable sellers to douchebags is probably 1:100. I don't get it either, what do you have to gain by lying other than a headache? When I sell my DSM, I'll be 100% honest about everything. It might scare off a few potential buyers, but hey, I'd rather sleep good at night knowing I had a legit sale. BTW, anyone want to buy my DSM? I'll make you a good deal..... :p

And always go look at something before you buy it. My first GSX I flew to Colorado for because the guy said it was mint. I got there, realized the interior was filthy, the paint was shot, the shocks were blown, the turbo was on it's last legs and the clutch was going...I made it back to Chicago thanks God but the day after I got back, that morning I tried to start the car and the pedal dropped to the floor...the clutch fork broke.

Buyer beware.

I drove five hours to look at a mint red 99 Eclipse GST, never wrecked, one owner and when I got there the owner wouldn't show me the car because it was to late but he offered to compensate me for a hotel rather I wanted the car or not. So I waited until 7 when he was suppose to meet me that morning, he never showed up. I spent the rest of the day in a busy town doing nothing finally set down at Hooters to eat lunch about noon and he called me to tell me he would be there in 5 minutes. I even told him I was at Hooters 2 miles away and he insisted I meet him at the hotel, so I did. The cars hook was smashed from a fly up, the door had a dent the size of a five gallon bucket from where his brother punched it, the exhaust was rusted off, the rear bumper was repainted, the auto shifter was torn apart and wires were spliced, and other misc things. I told him I'd give him 1500 for it and he walked off. I presented him with the bill and he said he wouldn't do anything about it unless I bought the car. He said 1600 and I could have it and I told him to take the hotel off that and I would do it and he left. So then I decided I was going to try and enjoy the rest of the day and possibly find another car. I found one about a hour away. I got there around 9-10 at night and the car was parked in the garage. Tried to look everything over the best I could, paid for it, and drove off. On my way home the car felt powerless and developed a chirping noise, later to be known as a blown turbo, and the windshield seal flew half way off going down the road. So I left it there for like 3 weeks in a church paprking lot until I could trailer it home. Now that its here I have found out the top leaks pretty good, the ac line is disconnected from the back of the block, the key hole in the drives side wont lock and occasionally falls in, the key doesn't match the trunk, there were several missing bolts hidden underneath, there are two random plugs undone, the battery started sparking off the hook, the transmission has a slip here and there, and the oil gas gauge stopped working. I'm sure there is more but I just can't think of it. It was the first car I had ever purchased without my dad and I don't think I will ever do it again. I know I probably overlooked a few things because of stupidity but some many things were hidden with this car. My experience with online cars is a bad one. The car I love most is the first DSM I ever bought and it doesn't run now because I attempted to do the timing belt and snapped the balance pulley bolt and its been sitting through the winter. :( My luck with DSMs is slowly running out. I've left the hood unlatched and busted the hood and windshield, hit 3 animals, been stranded on a road because a plug shorted out and blew a fuse, almost died because the battery grounded out. And no joke I've put less then 200 miles on all 3 of them together (one a parts car).

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back