The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Rix Racing

Anybody paint model cars??

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

a_scobel

15+ Year Contributor
Jun 6, 2003
Alexandria, Virginia
Well I bought a metal Viper model just for the hell of it..then decided to try my hand at painting it. So I soaked it in brake fluid & took all the paint off it. I'm wanting to paint it candy apple red, with a basecoat of silver. Just wondering how many coats of what, & the order to put them on is...

I'm guessing the order is: primer, silver, candy apple red, clear coat. Am I wrong??

Also, how many coats of each should I put on?? I've read to put two coats of primer on, one coat of everything else, but two coats of clear also...is this wrong?

Thanks!

I'm going through the same process on a skyline right now. i did no primer (plastic model) silver, 2 coats candy, 1 coat clear. The paint is actually drying the 1st layer of candy right now otherwise I'd have pics. Here's a porsche I just finished though.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

mavisky said:
I'm going through the same process on a skyline right now. i did no primer (plastic model) silver, 2 coats candy, 1 coat clear. The paint is actually drying the 1st layer of candy right now otherwise I'd have pics. Here's a porsche I just finished though.

Hmm looks nice. So do you actually do any sanding inbetween coats??

a_scobel said:
Hmm looks nice. So do you actually do any sanding inbetween coats??

Only if I've got a run or something. Otherwise no.

Somewhere online. I can't remember the exact name of the site though.

Progress so far...

Attachments

• viper4.JPG
    viper4.JPG
    37.3 KB · Views: 143
  • viper1.JPG
    viper1.JPG
    61.3 KB · Views: 151
  • viper2.JPG
    viper2.JPG
    41.5 KB · Views: 151
  • viper3.JPG
    viper3.JPG
    52.9 KB · Views: 149
looking good so far. My pre-2005 viper gts is going black with silver stripes. Should be laying out the stripes this afternoon.

Finally got around to finishing it...some paint just chipped off when I was putting it together...noticably around the headlights, & trunk. Dunno if it's how I painted it, or if it's just crappy paint..probably the former. Also the trunk's sticking up a bit from the boot, so I'm gonna have to trim the boot to make it sit flush...heh oh well..I'm satisfied with the results. Not bad for my first time.

Also the paint's a little gritty..not quite smooth. I don't think I warmed the red up enough, so it didn't quite come out smooth enough.

Attachments

• 7777.JPG
    7777.JPG
    42.1 KB · Views: 76
  • 777.JPG
    777.JPG
    38.6 KB · Views: 75
  • 77.JPG
    77.JPG
    33.3 KB · Views: 72
  • 7.JPG
    7.JPG
    51.1 KB · Views: 72
  • 77777.JPG
    77777.JPG
    42.2 KB · Views: 74
Looks like you needed to get more clear coat on it as well. Other than that its not too bad. The problem with painting a diecast like that is that the gaps will be filled with paint and the tolerances may not allow for the extra paint.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back