The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Anybody Interested in 3pt Strut Bars?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

13secGST

20+ Year Contributor
Dec 1, 2002
San Luis Obispo, California
Ok...well...I am planning on getting some custom made 3pt strut bars...both front and back. Not sure if I will get them made out of aluminum or steal yet...or maybe Carbon Fiber. depends on costs and weight differences...

obviously these are going to be more expensive then the normal strut bars you guys see...and no where near the 20-40 dollar ones on Ebay...but you wont be able to bend these with your hands...like you can with the ebay ones...they will be strong and sturdy.

So yeh. I'm going to be getting some made for myself...and I'm just wondering if other people are interested in them.

Also front may either be 4 point or 3 point...either like an X design or triangle design.

If you can keep the weight down I'd be interested.

Originally posted by hoffman
interested.

but it will need to be a very low profile.

Yeh...I'm more into the performance of the peice...not the looks. If it is carbon fiber, it would be because it is lighter and stronger...not cause it "looks cool"

Originally posted by leet
If you can keep the weight down I'd be interested.

This is the main thing I am thinking about. Hollow steal, hollow aluminum, hollow stainless, or carbon fiber...what are the cost differences? what are the benifits of each material? How much weight does one save over another?...I'll be contacting my local manufactures about something like this...get them dimensions and stuff. But maybe not for a couple weeks...since I'm going away this week. Then it could be a couple months before completion...so don't get crazy excited yet...:rolleyes:

And about a 1g version...I know Mike at DSS has been wanting to do some 3pt. Bars...but he just doesn't get around to it. And since I am local to him. We might try to design something together...maybe under his name...maybe not.

Originally posted by 13secGST

Yeh...I'm more into the performance of the peice...not the looks. If it is carbon fiber, it would be because it is lighter and stronger...not cause it "looks cool"

agreed. the reason i said a lower profile is because i know some the vent CF/FG hoods will not fit over STBs.

i could give a rats about looks as well.

if mike is looking to design and sell some, consider me a customer.

im interested for a n/t one. the ebay ones work, but they could definately be better. i would say titanium, but it would be expensive. i think hollow steel or alumnium is the best bet.

you get a 1g one and you got yourself a garunteed customer, hell i'll even test a prototype if you guys want. Just might have to drive down to slo if/when it comes out, make a nice road trip out of getting a nice bar and seeing some friends in college.

I heard carbon fiber flexes.
I just got the 1 bar RRE ones for the front and rear. 100 bux a piece from Mike at DSS.

Originally posted by Mr96GSX408
I heard carbon fiber flexes.
I just got the 1 bar RRE ones for the front and rear. 100 bux a piece from Mike at DSS.

I'm sorry, I bought Ebay strut bars for $50 for both.

If you want strengh and light weight get them made out of titanium. I am currently making a set for my 2g, I am also making them with the 3 point design. Attaching it to the firewall. I'm not sure how I am going to make the rear bar yet.

I actually consider the rear bar easier to make...there is already a large brace across, The front seems harder for me, cause I want to see if it is possible without drilling holes in the firewall, and relocating emissions stuff. It may have to be a bit off centered...but I really don't want that. Its just that in 2gs(maybe 1gs as well), there is this emissions piece right in the middle part of the firewall...and there is a sort of step down too...youd have to look at it to see. I'm hopeing (I can't spell) that I could at least have a prototype done by Nov.

And...yeh CF may not be the best stuff to use for this application...I didn't think it would bend, but i asume it could crack under this kind of compression/streching stress...yet it has great torsional tolerance...which is why it seems to work for driveshafts...

Titanium...I think that would be out of the question...I may ask about it...but not only is the cost of the metal expensive, all of the stuff has to be tig/mig welded like stainless steal...which makes the price even higher.

One last thing. The bars wont be ugly...I mean, I'm not that concerned with looks, but they would at least be powdercoated...or polished or something.

Would taping into the firewall bother people? It may only be that one hole will need to be drilled (for the front bar) and We could use the other hole with the emissions stuff and a longer bolt.

Well, my rear bar is exactly made like my front,
it does the job and i suggest doing the rear one like RRE's.
It's simple, and doesn't clutter the trunk very much.

The 3piece front bar looks like a neat idea, kinda like the evo's.
I don't have a pic of my rear bar, but here's a pic of what my front and rear bar looks like... sorry dont have a pic of my rear setup = /

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

yeh...exactly like the EVOs...I had the idea before, but when I saw how they did it on the EVO, and how sturdy it is...I want to really persue it. I don't really like the RRE bar though...only has two places to bolt down...doesn't really seem like it connects the struts as good as it could...its a strong bar...but by only having one bolt down on each side...it just seems like it could be better.

And Mr96GSX408...your in town (SLO) right...I think I've seen your car over by Johnson/Marsh by Scholari's like twice this week...we should meet up or something. Go to Mike's and drool over the EVO there...PM me or something...I'm going to work right now (Cafe Roma), I'll PM you when I get off.

I will be making and welding the strut bars my self so it will only cost me the titanium. Which 1" od tubing cost about $17.00 a foot, depending on the grade of titanium you get.

D3 Designs is supposed to have a fit for 2g's which includes a threee point bar. I don't think it is listed on the web site but they did say they were making them a long time ago.

Has anyone ever thought about making a C-pillar mount before? Like if you take out your back seats and seat belts there is a hole in the C-pillar where the seat belt mounted, and so I'm sure it would be quite a fun project to try and make one to connect those 2 points.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back