The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Anybody familiar with Dodge Ram 5.9s?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rex2342

15+ Year Contributor
Aug 30, 2004
Mckeesport, Pennsylvania
My buddy has a 98 Ram with the 5.9l v8 in it. His water pump went on him and he changed it himself. I guess when he did it the gasket moved on him because it never stopped leaking. Last night I went over and we fixed the water pump gasket and got it back together but its still leaking. The best I can tell is the leak is coming from behind where the water pump bolts to and not the pump gasket itself. It looks like the timing cover or something that bolts to the front of the block and then the water pump bolts through that. I'm just wondering if anyone has ever taken this apart. I'd imagine there would be a gasket on this piece but I can't seem to find anything in the all data at work. Before we tear it down I just wondered if anyone could give me info.

It is exactly like almost all the older Fords, Pontiac's, Oldsmobile, Buick and AMC v-8's. They come right off fairly easy, don't pry on the top of the cover but more so on the lower sides. that's where the dowel pins are and they break pretty easy. There is nothing behind the cover that will fly out. Make sure you pull the oil pan bolts out in the front and loosen some on the sides. It just makes it sooo much easier to remove the cover.

yes theres a gasket behind the timing cover. its fairly easy to change you dont even need to take the water pump off. the water pump has short bolts and long bolts shortys can stay in (dont know which off hand sorry). then the worst part is pulling the crank pulley off good luck to bad we dont live closer i would offer you a hand im a dodge technician

REMOVAL
Disconnect the negative cable from the battery.
Remove water pump (Refer to 7 - COOLING/ENGINE/WATER PUMP - REMOVAL).
Remove power steering pump (Refer to 19 - STEERING/PUMP - REMOVAL).
Remove vibration damper (Refer to 9 - ENGINE/ENGINE BLOCK/VIBRATION DAMPER - REMOVAL).
Loosen oil pan bolts and remove the front bolt at each side.
Remove the cover bolts.
Remove chain case cover and gasket using extreme caution to avoid damaging oil pan gasket.

sorry looks like you do need to remove it its been a long time since ive touched an old ram

It looked like the oil pan would have to come down to get it out. I'm just gonna have him get to the garage tomorrow so we can use the air tools on it. Trying to do it in his driveway with limited tools makes it harder than it is. Thanks for the info

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back