The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Resolved Any way to test 1G ECMLink V3 cable?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FatManDangerous

Probationary Member
Nov 24, 2010
NorCo, Colorado
I'm not sure if my link cable has been stepped on/shut in a door too many times/etc.

A few weeks ago I was able to connect to link fine but last night when I swapped over injectors my laptop wouldn't connect at all.

Is there a way to test continuity of the cable? What about a way to test the actual OBD port itself? Car is a 1993 Eclipse GSX. Link is v3

Thanks for any help. Also, if anybody has a cable in the northern Colorado area that I could use to help troubleshoot I'd be more than willing to buy lunch/pay for gas or something to meet up and try the cable for a sec.

Also, it is most likely NOT an issue with my laptop, as another shop that has a DSM guy tried connecting and it wouldn't connect.

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
Got the cable back today from ECMlink and Tom hooked me up a freebie cable as well. Tried the freebie cable and it works! Havn't tried the old cable.

The new cable is a MUCH tighter fit to the comm port so that may have been my issue.

If there is any way to mark this thread as resolved let me know. Thanks for all the help guys.
Just Email ECMtuning and they will send you a new cable for free just pay the shipping for both of the cable the old one and the new one. I am telling you this because I had the same issue and luckily I live in MD so I drove to them and they just replaced it and they gave me the DB9 cable for free so just let them know.

That's awesome ^

I emailed them and they said there is no way to test continuity of the cable and the only way to test it is to hook it up to a known working device. They said that I could send the cable and they'll take a look at it. I sent the cable today after repeated testing and it still didn't work.

And no, my laptop never said anything about new found software or anything about desktop drivers.I am pretty sure it is either the cable itself or the diagnostic port/some missing link to the ECU.

Only time will tell now, i'll keep this thread updated.

i had the same problem with my 95. it wouldn't link up and couldn't get any thing to work. i checked the cable and everything and a few diff laptops and still nothing turns out on the 95 not sure on yous that the radio fuse is integrated and allows it to communicate. i would check that and replace the fuse it solved my problem which i fought for a couple days over a fuse.

Got an email back from Thomas stating that the cable tested out to be fine.

Is there any way to test the diagnostic port itself before I dive into gettin' elbow deep under my pedals to test connections?

I'll check all fuses too, my radio works and so do all the speakers, but I'll check and change that fuse just because I can as well.

You could get an OBD2 scanner and test your port that way. Also make sure your software on your computer is set up correctly using com3 normally for a usb connection. I think I texted you the other day about your cable. I can always stop by and help if you need it I am pretty good with dsmlink and all that.

You could get an OBD2 scanner and test your port that way. Also make sure your software on your computer is set up correctly using com3 normally for a usb connection. I think I texted you the other day about your cable. I can always stop by and help if you need it I am pretty good with dsmlink and all that.

1g != OBDII

The info for checking the car side can be found in the ECMLink wiki

Hal

Yeah, you're probably who I got the text from. I may hit you up when I'm at my wits end if I can't get the port figured out.

All the fuses are good, didn't think to check the wiki (duh) and found the connectivity section so I'll see if there is an issue with the pin outs that ECMlink uses.

IF all else fails try and hook your cable up to someone else with a ecmlink chipped ecu or take your ecu out and put it into another 1g and see if you can connect to it. I also had a problem a while back with an ecu chipped with ecmlink v3 but the caps started leaking and it was being really weird and had similar results.

Got the cable back today from ECMlink and Tom hooked me up a freebie cable as well. Tried the freebie cable and it works! Havn't tried the old cable.

The new cable is a MUCH tighter fit to the comm port so that may have been my issue.

If there is any way to mark this thread as resolved let me know. Thanks for all the help guys.

Solution
OK sooooo... Both the new cable and the old cable are no longer connecting. The old cable just lights up green on the cable and stays lit while the new cable blinks three times and stays off, both cable link won't connect.

What is this about drivers? When I got the new cable it said drivers were installed it worked fine. Now I get the notification through windows that "usb device is not recognized."

Any ideas?

Did you check your configure connection settings in link to make sure they are set right?

Downloaded the drivers, still nothing. The connection settings havn't been touched timout is at 500 byte delay is at 2. This setup has worked, but now nothing.

did you check the right com port in the settings especially if you keep switching the usb port on your laptop.

There's a connection option that will cause the client to scan all ports.

I always enable it so I never have to worry about the chance that the port might change.

i know little about link yet, but in working on plenty of old xray system computers i can def tell u that the usb port you use with that device can shift sometimes. not sure if you tried all usb ports yet but its worth a try. i use hyperterminal with a usb to 9pin and open it up frequently to check if im on the right com port. you can also delete com port drivers manually and reinstall like that. ive fixed issues in the past that way.

I have tried everything, i checked the little box that says to scan for COM ports and I can see that it does when I try to connect. I downloaded the drivers and windows says "the software for this device is correctly installed"

What the heck is going on here. I still can't connect.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back