The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

Any way to find out actual availability of OEM parts?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XC92

Proven Member
Jul 22, 2020
Queens, New_York
I'm ready to place an order for several dozen OEM parts I'll need to rebuild my trans and other assemblies on my Talon, and while they're all listed as available on several Mitsubishi dealers' web sites, from experience I know that some of these items are no longer available. I sent them all emails with a list of all the parts using Mitsubishi part #'s, and followed them up with calls to their parts departments. But I've yet to hear back from most of them.

So I'm wondering if there are other ways of finding out, such as that program you used to be able to download and install on your PC that's basically an online parts catalog. Is it still available and working and does it have current pricing and availability, or is it literally just a parts catalog that has nothing to do with current availability?

Or am I just going to have to place an order and wait till they get back to me to find out? After several weeks of tearing things apart, cleaning parts, consulting with site experts and figuring out what parts I need to replace, while my Talon's on jack stands and unusable, I'm hoping to start putting everything back together and am starting to get antsy.

Btw are some Mitsubishi shadier than others? I've read Google reviews of some of the ones I'm thinking of ordering from and there are comments that claim that they got charged for wrong parts and they had to pay return shipping and a restocking fee. I can name these dealers here but am not sure if it's appropriate.

And yes, I know, I should order to the extent possible from site supporting vendors, and intend to do so, but some of these parts are kind of obscure and I'm not sure that vendors carry them, like say a trans select lever bushing or exhaust bolt.

You 100% should order only from the vendors or these cars won't survive. They specialize in the rare and obscure. You will get the right part faster and support the platform. I don't call a dealer for anything anymore. Not even a gasket.

Reach out to Josh at JNZtuning and let him know what parts you're looking for. He'll be able to tell you if they're still available or discontinued, pricing is significantly better than going through a dealership, and he's a supporting vendor here on the site.

I second JNZ. I’m always looking for OEM parts and Josh has been able to help me out. He can tell you if in stock or not.
I was about to place a small order from them and another from Extreme PSI, but only for non-OEM aftermarket parts I saw listed on their sites and preferred over OEM, like SS clutch and brake lines, shifter bushings, etc.

Are you saying that they have "off the menu" OEM parts that they either have on hand or can order and get to me fairly quickly, and for not that much more than dealers (and sorry, but money is an issue right now)?

Punch in the part numbers on Amayama. They might not be 100% but they still mark items as discontinued when they are aware of them.
Thanks, will do. So it's basically as close as we'll get to a live and up to date inventory status system, short of working for or having a dealership friend?

I just tried one part I need, MD747643, which is a 1994 1st-2nd hub/slider with single 1st and double 2nd synchro, that a local dealer could not get, making me worry that I was screwed and would never get this trans working properly again.

But Amayama listed it as in stock. I'm not likely to buy anything from them as shipping is slow and expensive, but it will at least give me an idea of what's still available new SOMEWHERE.

Thanks. Will do.

And, an aside, and yes, I am hijacking my own thread here (which I assume is ok), but having pretty much taken apart the entire trans, except the control shaft which seems to be in fine shape plus I couldn't get the solid pin out, I am amazed at how solid and well-built most of these parts are, and in what incredible condition most of them are still in. To my untrained eyes, some look practically new, after 27 years. Like the various shafts, or specifically the front output shaft. Amazing piece of engineering and metallurgy. Of course I'm not a mat sci expert or engineer (it's all about electrons and "holes", right?).

Thanks, will do. So it's basically as close as we'll get to a live and up to date inventory status system, short of working for or having a dealership friend?

I just tried one part I need, MD747643, which is a 1994 1st-2nd hub/slider with single 1st and double 2nd synchro, that a local dealer could not get, making me worry that I was screwed and would never get this trans working properly again.

But Amayama listed it as in stock. I'm not likely to buy anything from them as shipping is slow and expensive, but it will at least give me an idea of what's still available new SOMEWHERE.
Never tryed Anayama as they get their parts from Japan which I've heard takes up to a month and huge shipping costs. But don't know how truthful their parts availability claim is. But if you can't find them and are that desperate....

Nearly all USA Mitsu dealers list parts as available on their web sites when they really aren't. And they will never call/email you that they aren't. I even called them all, every single parts dept on the phone talking to a real person, and just always got the run-around that they were on back order, and had no way of knowing when they would arrive, or if they were even still available. Their inventory availability system is obviously not maintained. None of them ever contacted me back to tell me they ended up being unavailable.

But ya, I agree to getting parts through this sites vendors like JNZ, Jacks, TMZ, etc. They are WAY more honest about availability. IMHO if TMZ doesn't have your critical internal tranny part it's very unlikely you'll ever find a new one in the USA (since he bought up most new oem tranny parts in the USA years ago for his tranny business).

Last edited:
I myself have used amayama A LOT for oem hardware and some parts. The shipping is only a huge issue if you are trying to place a small order. Sometimes I order $150 of oem hardware so shipping is usually not too bad. I does take a couple weeks at most BUT, I have literally mitsu packaged nuts/bolts/etc. Bigger stuff is still an issue though. And they have cancelled my order a couple times when their site says they have it and they didn’t. Oh well.

In my experience rtm racing and stmtuned are usually my go to for parts. Jnz is usually third down on my list. Just my personal way of finding things. And none of that is transmission part searching either.

I'm starting to hear back from dealers and vendors and while most of the parts I need are available, a few are either backordered and might have to be sent from Japan, or are no longer being made and available.

Thankfully the latter are mostly minor parts that don't HAVE to be replaced but it would be nice to, like dust caps and retainer rings that I can probably substitute for or even jerry-rig.

But a couple are essential to the rebuild and it would be pointless to proceed without them, like a hub/slider and synchros. Worst case I order through Anayama and pay a bit more, but even they can get these by the end of July.

I was starting to get nervous but it looks like I'll be able to get everything I need. I just might take longer and cost more than I'd hoped. Not the end of the world.

I’ve ordered from Amayama plenty; Before covid. They basically shut down sending to US until last month. But Japan may be tightening up again. They had procured about 60~70% of stuff that they showed as available when I ordered.Shipping didn’t really cost much more or take too much longer than normal.
I mostly rely on Josh at JNZ now to tell me what is available because he has earned my business. Not just a good parts source, but able and willing to share his experience on this platform. I don’t mind paying him a fair price, even if I find a particular part or two for a bit less somewhere else. I’m not really advocating that everyone should do it my way; we each figure out what works best, or keep searching. Time, cost, quality; you’re doing well if you can get two of three favorably.

I contacted Josh with a long parts list and he got back to me quickly. Unfortunately a few of the parts I absolutely need are backordered, not just through him but through dealers, so I guess I have to wait on the rebuild, unless Jack's or Tim have them.

Meanwhile, the car sits on stands on the street and I'm crossing my fingers that it won't be repaved this year since it's overdue. If I wake up one morning to see those telltale signs on trees saying everyone has to move their cars, I can probably get the car back on the ground temporarily w/o a trans or CV axles by using strong bolts torqued tight through the hub so the bearings aren't destroyed, and push the car onto a nearby driveway, but it won't be fun.

Hell, I could probably use the actual axles to lock down the hub & bearings by finding a way to secure them to the frame for the 10-20 feet I'd have to push the car. But let's hope it's not necessary!

Last edited:
I PMed you with a short list of parts I absolutely need (per your advice and just looking at them), but I can send you the whole list.

Should I email TMZ or PM you here?

Btw the parts are either the '94 1st-2nd hub/slider/synchros (double on 2nd) kit:

MD747643

Or these parts separately:

MD746144
MD742419
MD742614

Thing is that MD742614 appears to be discontinued and unavailable, and MD747643 has to be special ordered from Japan.

Emailing my business is the easiest. [email protected]

Instead of MD742614, just use MD746435 which is the updated double synchro for 2nd gear.

The MD747643 has none in USA PDC's (parts distribution center) and is a Japan order. MD747643 for people not knowing what it is; it is the 1/2 hub and slider with thick MD745477 1st synchro and MD746435 2nd double synchro, no springs, no keys.

MD742419 is the shallow 1st gear synchro. The MD745477 is the thicker 1st gear synchro. The difference between them is when using additional springs in the hub and slider, you can only fit one spring on the MD745477 side, while you can fit double springs with the MD742419 synchro. The double synchro MD746435 can fit two springs if you are doubling them up.

For the 1/2 hub and slider just use MD749414 and order the synchros, then MD742445 springs (x2 are typically used in stock applications, x4 can be used when wanting to put more spring pressure on the keys in conjunction with the MD742419 synchro), then MD742775 keys (x3)

So either MD747643 if I'm willing to wait for it to arrive from Japan, or buy the hub/slider and synchros separately with same mechanical result?

I didn't realize that MD749414 is the correct hub/slider for my '94 trans since the Mitsu catalog lists it as MD746144, and dealers give MD742468 as an alternate, with either of the latter also being a special order from Japan.

So, unless I'm willing to wait for a Japan order and for some weird reason prefer the all in one MD747643 kit, just get MD749414 for the 1/2 hub/slider, MD746435 for the updated double 2nd synchro, and either MD742419 or MD745477 for the single 1st synchro, with 3 new keys and the correct # of new springs?

Any reason for my stock setup to call for double springs on either side? I doubt I'll ever push things beyond 250HP, if that. Does it help even with a stock setup?

So either MD747643 if I'm willing to wait for it to arrive from Japan, or buy the hub/slider and synchros separately with same mechanical result?

I didn't realize that MD749414 is the correct hub/slider for my '94 trans since the Mitsu catalog lists it as MD746144, and dealers give MD742468 as an alternate, with either of the latter also being a special order from Japan.

So, unless I'm willing to wait for a Japan order and for some weird reason prefer the all in one MD747643 kit, just get MD749414 for the 1/2 hub/slider, MD746435 for the updated double 2nd synchro, and either MD742419 or MD745477 for the single 1st synchro, with 3 new keys and the correct # of new springs?

Any reason for my stock setup to call for double springs on either side? I doubt I'll ever push things beyond 250HP, if that. Does it help even with a stock setup?
Well, if you want the part to get your transmission back together, MD749414 + MD745477 + MD746435 is the same as MD747643. The parts are available, whereas you could likely be waiting 6 months to receive a MD747643. The price difference is negligible and you are waiting for an unknown time period vs. just paying the slight difference and having your parts quickly.

As for using double springs in your application, just use 2x MD742445 springs and 3x MD742775 keys and be done with it. You don't warrant the need for double springs.

As for knowing what parts are interchangeable, what are updates, etc. Well, that is where I have my 20 years of experience doing this. I know what works, and what doesn't. The dealer software and their parts desk flunkies don't know any of this.

As an example Amayama quotes ~2 weeks for MD747643 but who knows when it would really arrive (and I suspect the Olympics and the new Covid variant will slow things down), and in any case even if it really was 2 weeks it's actually more expensive. So I'll skip that and get these parts individually. Six of one...

And MD745477 is the 1st synchro to get instead of MD742419, if I'm only using one spring per side? Or would MD742419 work just as well even with one spring? I'm only asking in case one or the other is harder or takes longer to get. The cost difference is just a few bucks so irrelevant.

Still working on getting that parts list to you as there have been some changes and I want to get it right.

I have MD742419 in stock, or MD745477 should be at Mitsu for a couple dollars less (like $2.00 less), along with MD749414, and I also have your 3rd/4th MD745479 synchros in stock. I would have to order the springs and keys from Mitsu.

If I'm going single-spring on 1st & 2nd, which it looks like I am, is there a preference as to which of MD742419 or MD745477 to get for 1st synchro? And can MD742419 even work with just one spring or does it really call for two?

As for MD745479, sorry if you answered this before, but it's the updated version of MD742536 or MD741645 and the part to get for 3rd or 4th synchro?

I've been relying on the '90-'94 Mitsu catalog and dealer web sites to find out which parts I need but obviously they don't tell you that these are the updated and preferred versions. You can't blame a 25 year old catalog but the online one is a different matter. Not only doesn't tell you which part you really need, but what the true availability and ETA are. Anyway, just airing my gripes.

Either MD742419 or MD745477 synchro will work fine with 1 spring on each side.

MD745479 is the updated version of the 92.6-99 style large diameter 3rd/4th synchro.

Got it, thanks.

Btw, if I end up putting together that how-to, I'll make sure to mention all this so there will be less confusion for newbies like me in the future.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back