The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

Any turbo's better than a Borg Warner?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

That's a pretty good time for only 20psi. What octane are u running for pump and race, and what did u just run at the track?

I run 93 on pump and "race gas" is few and far between in my parts. I had bought a 5 gallon drum of c16 at the shootout, and I was mixing that with 93 for the most part.

At the track, I got a few gallons of sunoco 112. But all I did was pour it in my car and didnt change the tune because I wanted to get a baseline run first. I didn't go all out or nothing, especially at 20psi, but the 20psi run was by accident. I just took my wastegate apart and the diaphram was pinched in 2 spots thus causing the wastegate to act funny. However, I am super impressed with the trap speed at such low boost. It took me 35psi on a GT3082r to trap 132.

Maybe someone can correct me on this, but would that also cause spool to be a bit lazy? For the life of owning this wastegate, I can set boost at lets say 25psi, but it will gradually increase boost in small increments up to redline. I'll maybe see 2 more psi after target boost was reached before I shift.

And it was the transfer case I broke. The tailshaft snapped. :cool:

Hands down I would go with BW if money wasn't a big issue. They are about to come out with a new turbo that is going to have people scratching their heads as to how it's possible to do what they did. Even I am baffled til I actually see it. And don't bother asking because I won't say anything about it.

any time frame for this new turbo?

Went to the track last night on the s366 and made one pass at 20psi due to a faulty tial 44 wastegate.

11.41 @ 131 1.9 60ft. (only 20psi!)

I broke the xfer case on the 2nd run.

I normally run 28psi on pump gas....35+ on race gas.

131mph trap at only 20psi!:hellyeah: I have my s366 now at 30psi and she feels pretty good.

Yes Bullseye Power S364 with the T3 .70 AR turbine housing. With hella shaft play. Had pretty good play from day one. I bought it new. Talked to Bullseye and they will swap it for a good one when I send this one in. It has been rubbing the compressor housing for two months now. I didnt want to have the car down so I kept running it.

Yup. 10.8 AFR's and 14* timing. I picked up 31mph on the back 1/8th. My tial 44 was pinched in 2 spots on the diaphragm. I will try again this week.QUOTE]

Thats crazy! I am at 30psi with e85 12:1 afr's and 17* peak timing. I'm curious to see how it will do. She wanders a bit in 3rd on street tires. How much does your car weigh?

It weighs 2800 by itself, and around 3000 with me in it depending on how much gas is in there.

Its still making probably a little over 500whp :) LOL Thats retarded for that boost level. Mine is roughly the same weight maybe like 50lbs more....

If I can get this HX52 for really cheap like I'm hoping, I'll try it out. A "little" worried about spool time but guess we'll see. If it doesn't perform like I want it to, I'll be swapping over to an S366. Heck, all I'll be swapping over is the turbo anyway. There's not really many people running the HX52 for whatever reason, so would be nice to see what I can do with it. But have to get it 1st anyway. I'll post up pics and all if I get it though. Wish I had a BW turbo to post up comparison pics if I do get it.

Those are some dang good numbers on the BW's.

Its still making probably a little over 500whp :) LOL Thats retarded for that boost level. Mine is roughly the same weight maybe like 50lbs more....

My first 22psi pull on a mustang dyno was 490whp with rich AFR's and low timing. Before we could make adjustments, my alternator died. It would have made an easy 650 on the mustang dyno.

I bet at 22psi, i could have gotten a solid 530whp if I had time to play with the tables. But it seems like everytime I'm ready to get real numbers, something happens. But on the street, and every day to work, I can run 35+psi all day long until I want to go race or dyno tune LOL.

Comp turbo IMO is the best out right now. Infact my new comp 6265 Triple ballbearing Billet compressor wheel unit just arrived today and I will be getting caparison results here real soon to my old BW s259 ET unit in which I laid down 536hp dsm .55ar housing :thumb:

Comp Turbo Technology the how and why our turbos are the best

Mainly.. what are your power goals? You want to get a turbo that will work well in your power range, and give you the best powerband.

The PTE Billet turbo's are very nice. There also very expensive. The BW turbo's I find are cheaply priced.

The 366 will easily do 145-150mph at full tilt on a PROPERLY EQUIPPED car, as the s372 will easily do 155-160+mph at full tilt, again.. on a properly equipped setup.

To answer your question.. there is no 'best turbo'. BEP units are great, I notice the title of your thread says Borg Warner, a S256,S259,S362,S366,S372 are NOT borg warner turbos!! Their bullseyepower turbo's. (BEP). Borg warner turbo's have a 'sx300' or 'sx400' classification.

I went 141mph on my s372r at 27psi. If I only wanted to go this fast, I would have gone with a s366, but I do want to make much more power, or else I would be hurting my cars potential.

However, I can tell you, don't be scared to go with a nice big A/R on the exhaust housing, backpressure drastically hurts power, and the added spool with a tiny A/R isn't worth the power loss in high RPM. Divided T4 is the best way to go.

Good luck.

Kenny, you didn't get it from Bullseye, did you? God, I hope not.

BULLSEYE IS THE ONLY PLACE TO GET A S366, S366 is NOT A BORG WARNER TURBO, ITS A BEP UNIT

BorgWarner turbo's use a S300 or S400 rating, its very similar and confuses MANY.

BEP Has some of the best customer service I have ever experienced. David Hall, is the man over there.

Also, don't get all caught up with HP numbers on various turbo's. Dyno's vary more then you think ;)

Last edited:
Kenny, you didn't get it from Bullseye, did you? God, I hope not.

It is the bep not a true borg warner. I honestly didn't know the difference until after I bought it. I am sure either way this turbo is going to make some nice power.

So I got an e-mail back about this HX52 that I'm looking at, with a divided housing. Here's what she sent me:

Turbine housing AR=16 (Isn't there only one size for the divided housing or is there a bigger one? I thought I saw something about there being an 18? Can someone clarify please? And about what size would a 16 translate to, such as .55, .83, 1.10, etc.?)
Turbine wheel=70mm (Kinda wondering what she's talking about here since the turbine outlet is 121mm. If it's what I'm thinking it is, it seems as though there would be a pretty large gap between the wheel and the housing)
Turbine outlet OD=121mm (this equals to 4.76 inches so sounds pretty freakin huge to me)
Center of bolt hole to center of bolt hole=3-1/2" x 2-3/4" (What in the crap is she talking about??? I'm guessing these are the bolt hole measurements where the housing bolts to the manifold but I'm not sure which directions she was talking about).
V-band outlet connection is on the exhaust side.

Feedback from the HX52 guru's? Thanks.

Ah, didn't think about that. So holy crap, the exhaust I'll need to run will be close to 5 inches??? Sheesh, that'll be freakin HUGE!!!!

Hands down I would go with BW if money wasn't a big issue. They are about to come out with a new turbo that is going to have people scratching their heads as to how it's possible to do what they did. Even I am baffled til I actually see it. And don't bother asking because I won't say anything about it.

Everyone seems to have breezed past this comment. The new 2011 model BW EFR series is supposed to be a whole new level of efficiency, anyone considering a new turbo should seriously hold off until they're announced at SEMA in a few weeks.

this debate is still going on?? damn. i have a 35r and will dyno it here soon, and then do nothin but swap it with my s362 et, and post the results. on the other hand, damn i cant wait to see these new bw turbos at sema!

Everyone seems to have breezed past this comment. The new 2011 model BW EFR series is supposed to be a whole new level of efficiency, anyone considering a new turbo should seriously hold off until they're announced at SEMA in a few weeks.

Of course it'll be at Sema, but wonder how long before they're sold to the public and which vendors will have them. Hmmm....

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back